Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Lighted visor mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:47 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Default Lighted visor mirrors

Has anyone put in the 2012 lighted mirrored sun visors into their earlier S197's? I just bought a set, and I'll be putting them in this weekend (yes I will do a write up on this). I don't anticipate any problems with the wiring, but I'll prepare for the worst. I'm pulling the Mustang out of the garage from a long winter's nap this weekend, and will put in the visors then. Hopefully we are done with snow for this year. (We got almost a foot of it just over a week ago). I also have a set of 2012 mirrors I dug up, and will install them at the same time. (There are a couple of writeups on that topic, so that one I won't do)

This style is the new ones.
Attached Thumbnails Lighted visor mirrors-rt-side-visor.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 04-18-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 AM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Oh wow, nice! I didn't realize ford finally put lights in the new ones. How much are they?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Oh wow, nice! I didn't realize ford finally put lights in the new ones. How much are they?
I bought a pair for a 2012 off eBay for 60 plus 14.00 for shipping. I felt, for the money and piece of mind, it would be wiser to put in lights for "her" than hear about it later. Hell, I put in a power right side seat, so she could see over the dash. That was worth the price alone, in my saved hearing by itself. lol
Old 04-20-2013, 10:11 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I just found out that these mirrors also slide towards the center to give you better protection and sun blockage. Very nice addition. Also, one side come with a clip for holding papers or whatever. It is moveable from side to side and you could get anothe clip if you wanted to. It is a simple 2 wire (red and black) configuration so it should go easy tomorrow. At least I hope it does.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Subscribing to see how this goes!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I'm so damn slow at doing these mods anymore. I went ahead today and soldered, heat shrinked and attached new wiring plugs on the visors. The originals are quite unusual connectors, so make it easier I changed them out. I then made a jumper lead, with connectors for the overhead power. It was simple 2 wire (red/black 22 gauge wire) setup. I put a single connector at the right side, running a wire to the left side (about 6 feet). There I soldered in a second connector (left side power/grd) and ran the wiring down the left side pillar post. From here I'll put the power to the mirrors. I'm going to use a fuse tap (st231 carquest) and find a powered constant fuse, and hook to that. The black with ground to the kick panel ground stud. Tomorrow I'll go ahead and mount the visors and that should be it. I'll find out tomorrow.

When all is said and done, I'll do a complete write up with pictures. Right now, I'll try and keep you posted as I go.

I did manage to put on the 2012 outside mirrors yesterday. They made a nice improvement over the stock mirrors which I had color painted to match. These newer mirrors fit very cleanly, except the mirror alignment pins. I found it was easier to remove them, than to drill the doors with more holes. The 3 bolt mount is plenty strong to support them and keep the vibration down to a minimum. The convexed corners should make anybody passing, visible. Here is one pic of the left side mirror. Forgive the dusty, dirty car. It's been in storage all winter.
Attached Thumbnails Lighted visor mirrors-sam_0783aa.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by akdoggie
II'm going to use a fuse tap (st231 carquest) and find a powered constant fuse, and hook to that.
I would not use a constant power source but one associated with the
delayed ACCessory circuit, or DACC.
Once the switch gives out on the mirror, it defaults into the ON mode.
Not good for long months of storage on the battery...
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
I would not use a constant power source but one associated with the
delayed ACCessory circuit, or DACC.
Once the switch gives out on the mirror, it defaults into the ON mode.
Not good for long months of storage on the battery...
That's what I meant but didn't say it right. I should of said, the accessory side circuit, but misspoke. You are right about the draw. They do take quite a bit of power when they are on. I still like the idea of this design over our old style visors though.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:20 AM
akdoggie
2nd Gear Member

I made up a harness to attach to the visors. I took 22 gauge wire (double wire) and cut off 10 feet. I took and attached plug ins at the one end and 5 foot later, I attached the second connector for the other visor. The balance of the wire I ran down the left pillar. I have added the pictures of what the visors look like when lit, and the harness I made. There are no physical differences between the older and newer visors except for the lighted vanity and also the fact that they are extendable. Nice feature.

If any of you who were wondering if the newer (2010 up) cars speaker covers would fit, the answer is yes. They go right where the older ones were. Nice update. You can find them usually for about 40 for a pair on eBay. That's where I got mine. Nice, clean, inexpensive change. They come in satin chrome, and bright chrome. The bright chrome come from the preminum versions and the satin from the base models.
Attached Thumbnails Lighted visor mirrors-0424131348a.jpg   Lighted visor mirrors-0424131349a.jpg   Lighted visor mirrors-0424131350.jpg   Lighted visor mirrors-0424131436a.jpg  

Last edited by akdoggie; 04-25-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:16 AM
mariusvt
1st Gear Member

Great job, I'm definitely glad Ford finally decided to make it a standard feature of the visors. It's surprising that this day and age short of the little econoboxes this isn't a standard for all cars.

Quick Reply: Lighted visor mirrors