Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Retro Solution HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM
krazykevin
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by LowellWeaver
Waiting for reply..
You probably will not get much of a reply between 11:30pm and 5am...

As far as reviews, there are 3 in this thread already
It really is surprising what you can learn if you read a thread, but I will try to make it even easier

STANGMODS:
Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
This is my kit, I've run them for 2 yrs no with no problems. I also have 6k and I love the look, but when you say just a hint of blue that;s all you'll get, they appear white until you put them next to another mustang that has 5k or 4.3k

Lifetime warranty too...
RETRO SOLUTIONS:
Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Yes, I have them but I run the 55watt 6000K kit on mine. Have had them for years now with no issues at all. Love them!
Originally Posted by So_Cali
I'm running the 6K's on my headlights (hoping to convert to projectors soon) I've had the kit for a little over 5 years and no issues at all. I started with 8K's but, wasn't thrilled about the usable light from them during the rainy season (yes, it rains in Cali) switched to 6K's and I'm very pleased. Retro-Solutions is awesome.
DDM TUNING:
Originally Posted by Carcrazycorey1
ddmtuning.com has cheap HID kits. They are pretty good quality and I've had them in my motorcycle for almost two years now and they work great. I got the 6000k hi/low combo and it was like $40 for the entire setup. For my 05 GT the setup for all 4 lights (fogs included) would be less than $100. No need to spend over $200 for just two bulbs.
Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I would personally go with DDM tuning. I have put them on multiple cars including my own in the headlights/fogs with absolutely no issues. You cannot beat the price or the lifetime warranty either. I had a set of HIDs from Retrosolutions installed on a girlfriends Mustang and they were 3x as much, 1 of the ballast took a dump after a few weeks and their warranty process isn't the easiest thing to work with. I also have a friend with a set from them on a Mustang that they crapped out as well. Do some research and read the reviews on DDM Tuning, I am not taking anything away from Retro solutions just sharing my personal experiences with them.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Dante@hidguy
Banned

Originally Posted by Stang-aholic
Not to hate Corey, but I read many stories with "cheap" HIDs and some people get lucky, some don't... but with retro/stangmods their customer service is AWESOME with the lifetime warranty!

In this case, you definitely get what you pay for!
I agree, you really do get what you pay for. Heard horror stories and success stories about DDM. Retro has some good stuff but never messed with any of the HID products. We use a lot of their projectors when we do Retro Fits.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:28 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I just installed some HIDs from Retro. I ordered the 55w 5000K, and they are just the right white color. No blue (takes a few seconds to warm up to the right color), just a nice white. The install was easy, I didn't really have the instructions because you need to use some bull**** confirmation number to download them. I followed this writeup and it was very easy. The problem I had was with grounding the wires properly. 3 nights in a row, I drove across town to party with some friends, and on my way back home my headlights didn't come on! Figured out pretty quickly it was the grounds. I hadn't scraped enough paint off of the places I grounded. So make sure to grind down the area under whatever bolts you end up using or you might end up getting stuck. Also I would recommend that you put the wire that connects to the battery on first as a test because I didn't, and I almost didn't have enough wire. I could always cut it and extend the wires but I figured that if I'm buying a pug-n-play kit I might as well do as little work as possible, haha.

Anyway, so I like them alot. They look good, a nice white, and they definitely increase visibility. They are easy to install, seem to be of high quality, and besides some grounding issues, I've had no problems with them.