Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

APR chin splitter instal help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM
HighOctaneMustang

Talking APR chin splitter instal help!

Hey guys this is my first post on this forum so go easy on me. I've searched all over the web and forums as much as I could and couldn't find anything good enough to help me install the apr chin splitter, if any of you have close up pics or could write me up a brief install guide that would be great! Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks!!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

http://www.aprperformance.com/index....sk=view&id=277

Best I could find.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:32 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Did you not get an install guide with it?

There's no template for sure, it's a lot of measuring and marking to make sure you drill the holes in the right spot. I ended up mocking mine into place and then taping off the outline of the bumper onto the splitter and then taped some reference points onto both the splitter and the bumper where I thought I wanted the bolts. then just measure, mark, drill, and bolt.

I didn't like the idea of attaching the support rods to the plastic bumper, so I drilled the bumper steel and bolted some 3/4" aluminum angle and used soem threaded spacer to bring it out enough to attache the support rods... the bumper steel is VERY tough and will eat through drill bits, so if you're okay with attaching to the bumper plastic, that's certainly an easier way to do it. In my case the splitter is for function more than appearance, so I wanted it solid.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:48 PM
HighOctaneMustang

Originally Posted by danzcool
Did you not get an install guide with it?

There's no template for sure, it's a lot of measuring and marking to make sure you drill the holes in the right spot. I ended up mocking mine into place and then taping off the outline of the bumper onto the splitter and then taped some reference points onto both the splitter and the bumper where I thought I wanted the bolts. then just measure, mark, drill, and bolt.

I didn't like the idea of attaching the support rods to the plastic bumper, so I drilled the bumper steel and bolted some 3/4" aluminum angle and used soem threaded spacer to bring it out enough to attache the support rods... the bumper steel is VERY tough and will eat through drill bits, so if you're okay with attaching to the bumper plastic, that's certainly an easier way to do it. In my case the splitter is for function more than appearance, so I wanted it solid.
Yea I'd like to instal it so its sturdy and performs well so the down force it creates doesn't rip itself or my chin spoiler off.. Would you be able to post close up pictures of all your mounting points custom work? Also did you add any additional support to the rear of it? Thanks
Old 07-18-2013, 02:51 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HighOctaneMustang
Yea I'd like to instal it so its sturdy and performs well so the down force it creates doesn't rip itself or my chin spoiler off.. Would you be able to post close up pictures of all your mounting points custom work? Also did you add any additional support to the rear of it? Thanks
I'd have to take a few new pics, but here are a couple that show what I did to the bumper. you see at the bottom of the bumper steel, at either side, where the black pain spots are , those are slightly smaller than 1/4" holes in the bottom lip. The second pic shows the bumper with the foam attached and the support rods attached. I uses a short peice of 3/4" aluminum angle (1/8" thick) to drop down from the back side of the bumper. Then I used a threaded 1" spacer I got from Ace Hardware to bring the thread point forward, it was a different thread than the bolt of the support rod base, so I had to get a stainless machine screw that matched the thread of the spacer and did have to file the edges a bit to get it to fit into the "U" base for the rods. That's pretty much it... other than going through a lot of drill bits getting those holes drilled through the bumper steel.

here's a closeup of one of the installed supports upper attachment.

Oh, and the support rods that came with the kit were barely long enough to get to the attachment point even with the spacer bringing it forward, I have the roush bumper, so the splitter probably sits lower than the gt or gt/cs bumper, however your chin spoiler may push it out a bit further. measure and make sure it will work before you drill any holes anywhere. I did end up going with APR's longer support rods when I had to replace them because a shop lost one of them while working on it.

Last edited by danzcool; 07-19-2013 at 02:20 PM.