Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's
View Poll Results: Pre-Painted on Not?
Order Pre-painted from Cervini
75.00%
Paint to match locally
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

To Pre-paint or Not To Pre-paint...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default To Pre-paint or Not To Pre-paint...

What I'm really asking if I should order my hood pre-painted or get it painted locally? It's a Cervini 1187 hood and while I read that their product is top notch I'm a little worried about the paint not matching. My car is now just over 7 years old and has seen some sun in her day. With that in mind I was going to order it pre-painted for ease of installation and also because when I pay it off in 2014 I'm going to get the whole thing repainted and it probably won't be HP any more. Since I'm going to get it painted again in another year or so anyway I figured it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I just moved to the Tampa area, so I don't know of any good body shops anyway and planned to take my time researching. I'm ordering the hood and the C-Series Front bumper kit later this month and hope to have my mind made up then. If anyone knows of a shop around here with good pricing and honest folks that would be able to paint/install the hood for $315 or less let me know (I'd be willing to pay a little more to get the hood lock holes drilled out). The added cost of Cervini painting the hood is $350, but after discount it comes out to be $315. Any opinions are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by Topless Stang; 08-04-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I'd let them do it. They probably have more experience with prepping and painting fiberglass than many local places.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

It's a crap shoot. Older paint will usually require matching but if a shop doesn't know how to prep fiberglass you'll get a botched paint job for sure.

Being that you have a flat color vs metallic and it's white vs red or blue you should be fairly well off if you go prepainted.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. At the same time I buy the hood I'm buying the C-Series front end kit. I'll have to have the bumper prepped and panted anyway. I know u guys are going to hate me for saying this but I originally planned to take the bumpers to Maaco and get them painted so I could fit them. I plan on getting the whole car repainted next year or early 2015, so I didn't want to pay for the same thing twice....is that still a good idea? I think that you guys sold me on the pre-painted hood though.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Maaco should be able to do a decent job on bumpers that require little prep.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:10 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

I figured the job they do should be able to last me until I get the entire car repainted...thanks for the added vote of confidence!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Cervini is the best fiberglass quality just about...
Those hood very rarely require prepping and if they do, there is plenty of gel coat to allow sanding without going through.
I'd get it unpainted now that your car has been exposed to fading already because it won't match, unless your car was black but it's no the case so...
Old 08-11-2013, 07:19 PM
C. Love
1st Gear Member

I personally paint so the answer is easy for me. If you don't know how to paint learn or at a minimum shop around see if you can find it cheaper locally. However, from what i have seen the prices pre-painted seem pretty fair
Old 12-29-2013, 09:29 PM
ocorral20
1st Gear Member

i just ordered a hood from cervinis. for my sonic blue gt.. i got it pre-painted and the paint was really good....
fitting was another story.. they say its going to fit right away.. and in my case..it was a pain in the *** to align and install to get it to shut and lock.. just be aware it might take alot of adjusting.. .. but the paint was very good..
Old 12-29-2013, 10:45 PM
calistang05
2nd Gear Member

Make sure before UPS unloads your hood to check it for stress cracks and also check both points at the back of the hood to make sure there not broken off. Had that happen to me were the one of the tips were broken off, but since I was having my car repainted I just had the body shop fix it. I got mine un-painted, so the shop would be responsible if it didn't match with the rest of the car.

Quick Reply: To Pre-paint or Not To Pre-paint...