Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

For those of you who've lowered your rides....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Default For those of you who've lowered your rides....

What is the ride quality like? Do you think it was worth the cost?

I can't decide whether to lower mine or not.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 AM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I put Koni Sport shocks and Struts and Steeda Comp springs. Lowered about 1.25 inches in rear and 1 inch in front. Of course the springs, shocks and struts are what made the difference in the ride. Full soft is about like stock on the adjustable shocks. It lowered just enough to make it look the way I wanted it but the adjustable part is nice.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Its a little rougher but with some new shocks its much better.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

It's a compromise really...
Doing the springs alone on stock dampers will make the ride a bit more harsh but not to the point where you'll lose your fillings, lol.
So no matter what shocks you're gonna use, you'll still feel the stiffness because your shorter spring travel eliminates some of the OEM comfy zone...
Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Lowering your Mustang is the best thing you can possibly do besides say a CAI/Tune. It eliminates heavily unnecessary wheel gap (improving looks x100), and basically completely eliminates body roll and makes the car handle so much better, even on stock struts/shocks. If you upgrade the struts/shocks as well, you won't even notice a firmer ride and you'll have a great suspension in a car that is really good otherwise.

Is the ride firmer? Yes. On a bumpy road, you're definitely going to feel it, but it's nothing worth crying over, you're in a muscle car and it's a Ford, not a Lexus or an Audi or something.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

Well, I've upgraded to some OEM GT shocks and struts to improve ride quality and it has. I don't think lowering it is going to improve handling too much. I think probably control arms and sway bars are where I'd go to improve handling.

As far as the look, I think I'm gonna shop it lower and see whether I like it.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:05 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Oh lowering improves a lot. I had a lot of wandering before I lowered mine now that's pretty much gone. Grips cornering better just all around better feel, tad be rough but who cares cars made to go fast.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

My daily driver S197 is lowered on full UPR suspension. Ride quality is totally reasonable. Handling and grip are amazing!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

I have only put Koni STR.T shocks on, which I have heard are equivalent to the Koni Sports on full soft, and left the stock springs on. I don't race it on the road (or on the track), and I truly cannot say I have noticed an immense difference. Since my commute is only 6 1/2 miles and there is a trooper or sheriff every three miles, it isn't worth it to me to lower it. I have two other cars I drive, each of those has a much softer suspension. The mustang is stiff enough already, I'm not about to change the springs out for just the wheel gap, as the roads around here aren't that smooth.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
Well, I've upgraded to some OEM GT shocks and struts to improve ride quality and it has. I don't think lowering it is going to improve handling too much. I think probably control arms and sway bars are where I'd go to improve handling.

As far as the look, I think I'm gonna shop it lower and see whether I like it.
If better handling is what your primary concern is, then sway bars are the way to go. As far as lowering, I lowered mine 1.5 inches all the way around and have 19's in the back and 18's up front. What do I think? I wish I would have done it sooner, and I want to go a tad lower. And I am still riding on shocks and struts that have 130K miles on them....I know I know.

Of course it is not as comfy as the OEM springs like Pascal said, to me it feels like it is right where it needs to be. When I had my car aligned by a shop after I installed the springs and camber plates, the tech guy said he could not tell it was lowered because the ride was fine. (I had him ride with me to my work so he could drive the car back to the shop since I had no one else to pick me up)

Quick Reply: For those of you who've lowered your rides....