Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

anyone got a picture of a s197 with 50% tint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Default anyone got a picture of a s197 with 50% tint?

I've been thinking of tinting my windows for the summer, my state law is only 50% and I know most people say it's not even noticeable but I feel like even a little tint would be better than none and to get a black accent on my windows would look nice and i also hear that 50% tint can help against sun damage as well as keep the car cooler. I'd think 50% is better than other states that limit at 70%!! I feel with 50% you could get away almost anywhere.

I looked on google images+youtube vids but mostly just see the different tint samples on the window corner, I'd like to see what a s197 looks like with 50% all around.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:39 PM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

I think I'm going to go with the 50% tint...People say 50% tint is useless but I saw some on the simulators and it still seems better than stock, and it does prevent sun damage as well as keep the car cooler. and I am a fan of 'light' tint especially with redfire...I'll post a pic if I get it...I think it looks pretty sweet and way better than stock. I'll post a pic because I scoured the internet to find a 50% car and couldn't find one on any car, people usually go 35% or daker because they are scared 50% is too light, I shall be the 50% pioneer and all shall follow!

WE ARE THE 50%!! THE PEOPLE, UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

Run on for a long time, run on for a long time, run on for a long time - sooner or later he's gonna cut you down, tell 'em that God's gonna cut the 1% DOWN!!

btw does anyone know what %tint the windows come with from factory? I know they arent tinted but they say windows from factory have a small % of tint, so if u put 50% tint you are actually getting a little less than 50%... does anyone know? I LOVE light tint, 35%-50%, I feel like they look the best and with 50% I can make the car look nicer AS WELL as let everyone see me

Last edited by RazorGT; 03-22-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

How strict are the tint laws where you live?
For the 50%, there is a reason why people don't do it. It just isn't dark enough to matter.
If you are stuck on 50%, more power to you. But I would consider going darker if I were you or saving the money for another mod.

For what it's worth, I've had 5% on both Mustangs and I haven't had any issues with cops. Just roll down both windows when you get pulled over.

Depending on the year of your car, you may need to do the new seals on your windows or line them with moleskin. They will mess up your tint quickly if you have an '05-'06.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:56 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
How strict are the tint laws where you live?
For the 50%, there is a reason why people don't do it. It just isn't dark enough to matter.
If you are stuck on 50%, more power to you. But I would consider going darker if I were you or saving the money for another mod.

For what it's worth, I've had 5% on both Mustangs and I haven't had any issues with cops. Just roll down both windows when you get pulled over.

Depending on the year of your car, you may need to do the new seals on your windows or line them with moleskin. They will mess up your tint quickly if you have an '05-'06.
the law is 50% here in MN, I said it in my first post lol! But I hear they come from the factory with 97%, so if you get 50% it goes down to about 47% (they have a device that can check tint level)... with 50% it's doesn't look dark enough to warrant a ticket, but some cops are douchey enough to ticket ya for 47%, yet they let drunk drivers with 5% tint go because they are friends....Mmmm, 'Merican justice system.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:29 AM
Never2mucHP
2nd Gear Member

I gotta be honest with you. I would not even bother with 50%. Its practically unnoticeable. It would be a complete waste in my opinion, and would offer next to no benefit.

For what its worth, I have had 5% on every vehicle in my signature, and a few "non performance" vehicles not listed... And I have NEVER been hassled (in the US) about my tint. Not once. I have been pulled over more times than I can count in several different states over the years, and not a single cop has even mentioned it.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:42 AM
tobaGT

I disagree with the above. Up here, the law is 50% on the front door windows and 35% the rest of the way around. I've always tinted my cars and it DOES make a difference, especially if you're going with quality tint with some UV blocking qualities to help protect your interior, and can even help keep leather from heating up so much. It costs a little more than just throwing some tinted film on the windows, but if you're keeping the car for a while it's absolutely worthwhile, and I find my cars don't get as hot sitting in the sun. 50% is better than no tint, I say go for it. You won't regret it.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

I used to think 50% isn't worht it as well, but look at this tint selector:

http://www.shadesofgraytint.com/selector.html

50% is better than no tint, and it can keep car cooler but people can still see me i also like the look of 'lightly tinted' windows... i think the main reason people hate 50 is because they havn't seen it in person enough, I looked all over and have not found a SINGLE vehicle with 50% all the way around besides this simulator i linked, I think it looks okay...I shall give a picture of a medal to anyone who can find a pic of ANY vehicle with 50% all the way around. Most pics are pretty crappy cus with the sun glare it's hard to really see, but on a cloudy day with balanced lighting - those pics are the best IMO, and If i get 50% soon I shall share with you all!

Think about it, with 50% tint you are REDUCING the amount of UV rays by HALF! And it makes the car look nicer too imo, and rather than super dark tint i feel like 50% gives a nice classy look. I feel like 50% is better than no tint...and the cops around here are VERY bad for tint, I know people who have gotten tickets for even 35% :/ However I believe theres a petition to try to get tint law reduced, however with most petitions, protests, and elections in this world - people in charge will do what they want anyways :/

Last edited by RazorGT; 03-23-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM
RazorGT
2nd Gear Member

nvm lol

Last edited by RazorGT; 03-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:26 PM
redCORTEX
1st Gear Member

In general, the % of tint doesn't affect the UV blocking at all. It only affects the amount of light that gets through. Therefore as far as sun protection goes, 50%, 30%, and 5% should be equal. The reason people go with darker tint is for aesthetic and security purposes.

In FL I think the law is 32% or something - everyone has darker. I have 20% to prevent issues at night when other people drive my car. My last car had 5% all the way around and was VERY illegal. Front tint, smoked license plate, etc. I got pulled over once for rolling a red light and the cop read me the riot act about the $1000 worth of fines I should be getting.. then let me go with a warning. When I lived in OH, I was pulled over twice in one month for ONLY a tint infraction. He made me roll up my window a few inches and BAM - $100 fine.

I don't think your PS renderings are quite accurate. They look darker than I think they really are, probably due to overcast in original. With a clear sunny day, you can see right through 50%. My 20% is black from an angle but if you stand directly on the side, you can still see through it. It's still head and shoulders above stock.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:44 PM
mustangspotential
2nd Gear Member

Even getting a 50% tint job done on your windows is going to make you illegal in your state because windows come from the factory with a very slight tint. I forget the percentage, but you'd probably be allowing 42% of light to pass through if you got 50% all around.

Your state law is what it is, a law. If you want to comply with it, don't get any tint at all. Also, many states allow the rear window of the car to be tinted very dark or with no laws at all against it. Look into that.

I run 35% on the doors and 20% on the quarter windows and rear window. It blends nice and with a dark interior, the 35% looks closer to 25 or 30 percent, but you can see what's going on in my car well enough that no LEO has bothered me about it yet (1 year.)

My advice would be to go with 35%, it's a good tint level, especially if you have a dark interior. It will look darker than 35%. If you have a light interior, it will look like 50% and have barely any noticeable tint - but again, most people consider 35% and up to be the "safe" zone in most states as far as being lawfully charged by a LEO for having it. 20% and limo tint will get you into trouble more often than not.

Quick Reply: anyone got a picture of a s197 with 50% tint?