Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Airbag cover removal/install Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 10:06 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Default Airbag cover removal/install Steering Wheel

***WARNING*** This is not a mod recommendation. This is only a post to inform you that it can be done and that the airbag will work as intended. ***WARNING***

***WARNING*** Working on your airbag is DANGEROUS and you could be seriously injured if the airbag was to deploy in or out of the car ***WARNING**

Now with all that being said if you want to do this to replace a damaged cover or to update your cover to the new 2010+ cover you can do it as I did.

1. Disconnect the battery and let the car sit for about 30mins to insure that there is no power to the airbag. You can also remove the airbag fuse too

2. Remove the 2 caps that cover the 8mm nuts and then remove the 8mm nuts that hold the airbag in place on the steering wheel.

3. Remove the airbag from the steering wheel and unplug the 2 wires. (just pinch the plug where it meets the airbag and they come right off easy)

Here is what the backside of the airbag looks like removed from you wheel

4. Remove the 3 rivets that hold the cover to the airbag. You can do this one of two ways, drill them out or using some wire cutters cut the rivet heads off. I used the wire cutters.

5. Once you have all 3 rivets removed you can then start to work the rubber lip over the metal teeth of the airbag.

6. You will see one long tooth. To remove the rubber lip from this tooth you will need to cut the rubber lip at its base.

7. Once you have made your cut at the long tooth and have worked the rest of the rubber lip off the teeth you can now SLOWLY start to remove the cover. This takes time, just keep working around and around it slowly pulling the cover off. It will make noise but that is the airbag its self rubbing on the cover. It's really packed in there so TAKE YOUR TIME. You can see the airbag in this pic under the cover

8. Once you have the old cover off you can now start repacking it into the new cover. (Make sure to orientate the cover correctly so your rivet holes line up) You will have to push in on the sides of the airbag to make it fit. And then again TAKING YOUR TIME slowly push it back down on to the airbag. Here is a pic of what your new cover looks like. I used the Cobra one on mine

9. Now you have to pry the rubber lip over the metal teeth. I used a small flat head screw driver to do this. Just put it in the holes and pry the rubber lip up and over the teeth. (be careful not to snag the airbag)

10. Once you come to that long tooth again cut the rubber lip in the same place as you did when you took it off.

11. Now put 3 new rivets in and your done. All you have to do now is reinstall it.

*Attn: Admin, can you please pin this? Thanks!*

Last edited by CutterWolf; 07-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:49 PM
loaded6shooter
2nd Gear Member

looks great. I'll have to look into this because my emblem has seen better days. I'm assuming the little badge doesn't just pop off?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:51 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loaded6shooter
looks great. I'll have to look into this because my emblem has seen better days. I'm assuming the little badge doesn't just pop off?
That would be correct, it does not. Plus you can't just buy the new badge a lone if your wanting the new stile ones.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Great write-up!

I upgraded mine last winter and this would have helped.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Great write-up!

I upgraded mine last winter and this would have helped.
Sorry bro, I only just started to mess with airbag issue after waiting a long time wondering if it was possible to do.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 PM
sonic245
2nd Gear Member

Not sure how much I would trust it, but you can buy different style badges only.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Pony...ae1ce2&vxp=mtr
Old 07-18-2012, 08:53 PM
magsracing

what size rivet did you use?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

My stock emblem looks like crap. Especially paired with my new BOSS 302 wheel. Probably going to be doing this soon. Thanks for the writeup Cutter.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by magsracing
what size rivet did you use?
Anyone that will fit the hole pretty much but they are pretty large
Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonic245
Not sure how much I would trust it, but you can buy different style badges only.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-Pony...ae1ce2&vxp=mtr

The issue with those are any badge your gong to want to place there is this. 1. Either its going to be placed on top of your current badge which won't look too hot or, 2. Your going to have to remove your old badge which can be done but, you have to carve out the raised plastic ridges that are under your badge to have a flat place to stick the new one. I did this when I first modded my airbag badge and it was not fun at all.

Quick Reply: Airbag cover removal/install Steering Wheel