Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

Matte dashboard material

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Default Matte dashboard material

Dashboard reflection annoys the hell out of me, I'm tired of looking at the grain of the dashboard reflected off my windshield, plus I have a dashcam and at certain times the reflection makes the videos nearly unusable. Has anyone covered their dash with a permanent material that does not reflect light or look tacky like those mats people put on them? I've thought about leather or suede, but leather will probably reflect and suede is a pain to keep looking good, plus I don't know if it would look good. Maybe matte plastic paint? I'm open to suggestions and if you've done it please post a pic. Thanks
Old 01-27-2017, 04:27 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
Has anyone covered their dash with a permanent material that does not reflect light or look tacky like those mats people put on them?
I don't know what you're looking for or what "tacky" means ....
.... but I usually order a custom fit black carpet dash pad when I add to or change the stable. I have them in two T-birds, a '07 FX4, a '01 MercGM, and a '08 GT. You never see their reflection in the windshield. Black is a neutral color, they are non gloss, my sunglasses lay still, and black goes with any interior. I've also added them to the rear package shelf in the two T-birds and Merc.

Attached Thumbnails Matte dashboard material-dash-pad.jpg  
Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

How are those attached to the dash?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by flash_xx
How are those attached to the dash?
They come with a couple pieces of sticky Velcro .... or you can use your own. Doesn't need much, the covers fit so well between windshield pillars that once they flatten out, they virtually hold themselves in place. I use a narrow strip on each end next to pillar and have no problem even with Garmin on the dash. When the Velcro is to be removed, a touch of alcohol removes the gum.

The one in that picture was still near new when the pic was taken, it has smoothed out some more since.

Last edited by tbear853; 02-05-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:20 AM
Sacer

sounds like a good idea.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 AM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Well, I'm still looking for a material as close to oem as possible but non reflective. I wish they made anti-reflective tint for the windshield. Sort of like the matte protectors you put on screens.

I might try black matte plastidip just to see how it would look.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:33 PM
Automaaagically

Look up a dash flocking kit. Flocking is what they use in race cars to get rid of that exact problem. There’s a good amount of prep work involved and it’s messy but most likely you would be happy with the results. Also i don’t think the kits are expensive
Old 08-10-2017, 10:27 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Automaaagically
Look up a dash flocking kit. Flocking is what they use in race cars to get rid of that exact problem. There’s a good amount of prep work involved and it’s messy but most likely you would be happy with the results. Also i don’t think the kits are expensive
Thanks! something like this is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately Ford chose to make the dashboard a one-piece unit, so I can't take the top of the dash off to coat it and removing the whole dash is a huge undertaking. Applying the product with the dash installed is definitely not a good idea from the videos I've seen.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Polarized window tint on the inside of the windshield would also get rid of the glare. They make some that is clear and is just polarized or with a really low tint level like 90 or 95%.

The only downside to it is, depending on your perception, you may get a rainbow effect in your peripheral vision when looking through it.

Wife had it on her car until we had to replace the windshield from a crack. Decided not to have it redone for that reason, worked great to keep the in car temps down and get rid of the glare off the dash.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 PM
flash_xx
3rd Gear Member

I've been looking online and can't find polarized window tint. Which brand did you have?