MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section-122/)
-   -   Eliminate front running lights? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2009-s197-appearance-section/731534-eliminate-front-running-lights.html)

CtCarl 08-27-2017 09:32 AM

Eliminate front running lights?

Has anyone tried clipping the positive leads to their front running lights?

I'm not crazy about how they look and I'm wondering if it would look better just to run with the front side marker lights and leave the high side filaments on the other bulbs just as turn signals.

proeagles 08-27-2017 10:28 AM

Daytime running lights give you a discount on your insurance and lets people see you coming. Turning them off is just stupid.

CtCarl 08-27-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by proeagles (Post 8600241)
Daytime running lights give you a discount on your insurance and lets people see you coming. Turning them off is just stupid.

I do not agree with your pontifications regarding DRLs.

Should I assume that you've never tried disabling your S197 running/parking lamps, which is what I asked about?

Derf00 08-28-2017 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by CtCarl (Post 8600236)
Has anyone tried clipping the positive leads to their front running lights?

I'm not crazy about how they look and I'm wondering if it would look better just to run with the front side marker lights and leave the high side filaments on the other bulbs just as turn signals.

Your 05-09 has DRL? hmm... never seen them on our years. I'd have to see a wiring diagram to comment on whether or not it will work. But, you should consider state law and inspections if your state/county has them. If you get pulled over and a cop happens to notice, it's a fix-it ticket at best or worse, unlawful modification of a vehicles safety devices if the cop or inspections finds they were tampered with (like seatbelt or air bags).

JimC 08-28-2017 07:57 PM

Thread cleaned - if you don't have an answer then don't bother posting.

08'MustangDude 01-30-2018 05:19 PM

DRLs do not get you a better insurance rate.

DRLs are not US DOT required.

Canada requires DRLs on all new vehicles made or imported after Jan. 1, 1990

European Union made them mandatory after Feb. 7, 2011.

Russia. in Sept. 23, 2010, requiring the use of low-beam headlights or DRLs anytime, anywhere.

As recently as 2008, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration concluded that there is no
evidence that DRLs provide enough of a safety benefit to require federal regulation. And there’s no
sign it will change its mind in the future.

bgprest 03-28-2018 02:38 PM

What year did the Mustangs get DRL's? Mine is a 2005 and doesn't seem to have them.

08'MustangDude 03-28-2018 03:00 PM

There are no DLRs... That person who said that about DLRs and insurance, well, was 100% wrong.
They're side markers/running lights, with front turn signal, that's all.

However, I thought the same thing, that is was kind of dumb that there is a small side
bulb (194) for the marker that is on, and the low filament lit on the 3157 bulb.

You do not need to cut the + lead, just use a 3156 bulb instead. There is no low side
lead, just the hi-side lead, that will only flash with the turn signals. So, you're not chopping
up your wiring.

3157 is hi/lo
3057 is hi

Or, you can remove the bulb, and cut the low side wires off the wedge base.

If you want DLRs, you can add a module/adapter for it. DLRs for this car would be a lower voltage
send to the hi-beam side of the bulb. You can add a relay and a resister for that, and the relay
will unlatch with hi-beams for full power, or latched for low power, which is just a dim hi-beam.

They use the hi-beam side so you don't wear the lo-beams out, and they burn out before the
hi-beams. So, if your hi-beams do not work, you still have LO beams...