Notices
2005-2009 S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2005-2009 S197's

GT Grille and Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:41 AM
karlriggs

Default GT Grille and Switch Question

Recently i decided to switch to the GT Grille. Around Christmas last year I order the GT Grille kit from West Coast Performance. After 3 months of waiting, nothing came. In short, the company took our money and ran. Or at least that what VISA decided. We got the money back, and we decided to buy the parts striaght from ford. We bought the grille, 2 fog lights, and the switch. We got the grille to fit in prefectly and it looks nice, but I would like some help with connecting the fog lights to the GT switch. To those of you that have done this conversion, did you buy a wiring harness, if so from where? Or did you somehow make one up, and how? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:57 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Grille and Switch Question

i dont seem to ever get tired of this. ok so you can buy the street scene harness or you can make your own. here i a set up i came up with . if you do this the fogs will even go off when the high beams are on.
the artical below is the strete scene install. (my car) after we were done i gave them back there switch and used my gt switch. works fine i love it good luck.
15 amp fuse and holder 2 bosch relays 14 gauge wire a few connectors also you will need the ford connectors ( from ford or junk yard)

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?p=92162#92162
http://www.thechromepony.com/Mods1-05.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/320288A06CD54D55AEB023B801C2AFB9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-15-2006, 03:12 AM
mustangpogi
2nd Gear Member

How much did it cost you if you buy it from ford? Did you have to modify the Grill to fit in V6?
Old 04-15-2006, 03:15 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Mine was a nightmare; I bought all the parts that were recommended (switch, fuse, relay, wires, etc...) and brought them to the dealer because I was afraid to mess with electrical and risk warranty issues. Long story short the dealer said the V6 isn't wired for the fogs and suggested a toggle switch. I had them do that and it's just fine, as a matter of fact I like the option of being able to run with just the fogs and no running lights (good for midnight speed runs where no one can see you from behind).
Old 04-15-2006, 10:43 AM
white05stang

my grille is in but not wired yet .

great how to, afixer !!!!!! this will come in very handy thanks !!!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 12:36 PM
karlriggs

Thanks afixer, that will really help when i start wiring again.

The grille I got was actually really close to the same size as the V6, technically I could have mashed it in there with no cuts, but you'd probably never be able to pull it back out again.

Again, thanks for the help and i'll post some picts when it's all done, hopefully by monday.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:21 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

i dont seem to ever get tired of this. ok so you can buy the street scene harness or you can make your own. here i a set up i came up with . if you do this the fogs will even go off when the high beams are on.
the artical below is the strete scene install. (my car) after we were done i gave them back there switch and used my gt switch. works fine i love it good luck.
15 amp fuse and holder 2 bosch relays 14 gauge wire a few connectors also you will need the ford connectors ( from ford or junk yard)

http://www.2005stang.com/viewtopic.php?p=92162#92162
http://www.thechromepony.com/Mods1-05.html

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/320288A06CD54D55AEB023B801C2AFB9.jpg[/IMG]
i have recieved a few ims regarding this. here are some items to answer the questions.

1. the blue wire ( # 87 on the relay also output to the fogs) i have added is just if you are using the gt switch. that sends current back thru the harness and turns on the led in the gt switch when the fogs are on. so if you are using a toggle it is not needed.
2. the included pdf is of the factory fog wiring on the gt. note! that the switch uses grounds to trigger relays not hots. so if you are hooking to the stock or gt switch know that it is for a ground to trip the bosch relay and not a hot! so look close on the digram i drew.
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb.../foglights.pdf

Old 04-19-2006, 01:03 AM
karlriggs

Hey guys I just wanted to say thanks for all the help I got with the installation. Especially to afixer, who delt with 12 of my messages asking stupid questions to him. He has all the stuff to makes this an easy project, pictures, a wiring diagram, and even different options to wire the fog lights. So, it was dark here, but i tried to take some pictures anyways. Let me know if I can be of any more help. Thanks

Karl Riggs

Image 1
Image 2
Old 09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
fbgstang

I'm attempting to install the GT fogs and GT switch in my 05-V6. I followed the wiring diagram here: https://mustangforums.com/upfiles/14...B801C2AFB9.jpg but ran into two issues and wanted to see if someone could help me out. I am very new to this.

I couldnt identify the high beam wire to splice into with relay connection 85. Could someone tell me what color this wire is and where to find it? If you have a pic of the where you made the splice that would be very helpful. I also did not connect the wire from relay connection 87(fogs) to the fuse panel for the GT switch light.

Would not connecting these two wires cause the fogs not to light?

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:46 PM
fbgstang

Ok, I got it working. The relay I purchased from a local parts store was wrong! They of course did not carry the Bosch relay so they gave me their store equivilant which did not work the same way. Lesson learned: never trust the sales person, always read the schematics on the relay!

One more question. How do I raise the hood? I don't see any adjusters...

Quick Reply: GT Grille and Switch Question