Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: Make your own shorty antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Default How To: Make your own shorty antenna

Instead of buying a shorty antenna for $20+ dollars, I figure why not show everyone in detail how to make one. Its pretty simple to do and not very time consuming. The $20 that you are saving, you can spend on beer while working on the antenna Anyways, here is what you need:

Antenna
2 pliers
Crazy glue
Ruler
Saw
Sand paper, grinder, or metal file (not in picture)

1. First you have to take off the ball at the tip of the antenna. I found this to be the hardest thing to do since the ball is on there pretty tightly. Use the 2 pliers to take it off. Use one of the pliers as leverage like so:

Twisting the ball didn't really work so I found the above to be the easiest way to do it.

2. Cut the antenna at the right mark. I wanted mine to be at 14". You have to use a saw for this as opposed to pliers because the antenna is too thick to cut with pliers. At first I cut the antenna about 3" from the tip just to get a feel for it and to see how it came out.

3. After cutting the antenna, you will need to file down the tip of it because the ball will not fit on it. As you get closer to the base, the antenna gets wider and therefore needs to get filed down. I tried using sand paper but that was taking forever so instead I used a grinder. Once the ball gets on the tip, use crazy glue and the pliers to tightly hammer it into place.

4. This is what the finished product looks like.

I sprayed the tip with black matte paint since that's all that I had but from far away you can't even see it. I tested it out and it works perfectly. Don't see a difference in reception and now the Mustang looks a lot better.

Good Luck,
Bart
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

cool thing. that ball looks beat up. heh great write up
Old 01-17-2010, 11:03 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

what if theres a wire wrapping around it?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 AM
peetiewonder
2nd Gear Member

hmm i might have to do that. make a little 6" nubby or sumtin with my spare antenna. verry nice write up.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:22 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by budders
what if theres a wire wrapping around it?
use some sand paper or a file to smooth it out so the ball will fit. I did the same with my antenna and it had what looked to be a wire wrapped around it but it was actually molded with the antenna.

For removing the ball i used some vise grips and had them just loose enough to where it fit over the antenna but the ball wouldnt slide through then i just pulled the antenna about as hard as i could and quickly and it broke the ball loose and it shot across the shop. Took a minute to find it but the ball was in a bit better shape.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

so the ball does come off...I did this trick on my last truck, and tried for about 5 seconds on the car

but I thought the ball was welded/cast as part of the rod.

cool, might do this tomorrow now
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 AM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

Tylus...your car is too nice for this mod...buy the real thing
Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

nah, I've had those worthless shorty antenna's. they are made of cheap pig steel and bend if you look at them funny.

besides, it's a freebie
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Getting the ball off was definitely the hardest thing for me. I pretty much did the same thing that Shadow did. The ball flew off quickly but since I was in my room, it wasn't hard to find, so you have to watch out for that. Twisting the fall off didn't work at all and that's why the ball looks so beat up lol. But after spray painting it, its barely noticeable.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:17 AM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

i actually just did this a week ago, just put it in a vice near the ball. Then put a doubled up rag in a pair of pliers, gave it a quick twist, just broke loose and came off. Had a set of mini files, just sat there for about 30min. and got it to a very tight fit, just pounded it on and its great, hit it with some gloss black, put it back on and it looks like a factory mod. ps. and yes i know my hood was pop'ed at that time in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails How To:  Make your own shorty antenna-056.jpg   How To:  Make your own shorty antenna-059.jpg  

Quick Reply: How To: Make your own shorty antenna