Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DROVE A NEW 2011 5.0 TONIGHT!!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:24 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Talking DROVE A NEW 2011 5.0 TONIGHT!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Drove an '11 5.0 tonight. Here are the details:
-Silver C/S Convertible
-6spd manual
-Premium
-Optioned out almost to the max, prob-it was $45k
-I believe it had 3.31 gears as I didn't see any gear options on the window sticker

So, The interior rocks and the seats feel great(I still like the 05-09 interior styling better but the 10-11 has much better materials) The car feels very solid and drives very nicely. Nice snick-snick shifter and overall a great drive.

Now, the good.....and the, bad???

First, the car has nice tq, even with 3.31s below 2500rpm. The car pulled nicely through the rev range though I didn't feel the great kick at 4k that everyone's been talking about and honestly, the car wasn't as exhilarating to rev to 7k as I thought it'd be. The engine is SO smooth, like butter. It revs to redline so smoothly but with 3.31s doesn't throw you back.

Straight up, it doesn't feel that fast, although it is when you check the speedo....

Lastly, the car is way too quiet. Even with the top down i could barely hear the exhaust and I personally think the 4.6 sounds better.

In comparison my car with bolt-ons and 4.10s feels much quicker and makes banging gears more of an adventure though again looking at the speedo and it'll be probably at least 5mph less than the 5.0s. In conclusion, a nice car and a great factory ride; however, I like my car better and can't wait for the whipple next month....GOOD BYE 5.0s LOL .....stock ones at least.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:06 PM
2011CS/GT
2nd Gear Member

How did the convertible CS look? I have yet to see one at all. Matter of fact I have yet to see another CS in my area. Funny how you talked about smooth and feeling slow. I thought the same thing. You don't realize how fast your moving until you look at the speedo. My 03 Cobra just had a totally different feel. Of course there is nothing like hearing that SC'er whining.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Seems like most people that test drive them say similar things to you about the sound and how it doesn't feel fast but is lol.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 PM
kawasakiguy
2nd Gear Member

I guess this is my opinion but I would rather have smoother power band to red line vs a sharp kick at a certain rpm. Isn't it easier on the drive train components too?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

every other car on the market gets crap for how bad NVH is, the mustang is the only that gets crap because its too smooth and quiet. You just can't win can you?

Maybe you should get a hack saw out, take random bits out of the suspension, cut off the exhaust, and get a really bad tune on there so you get all the torque in one random point on the tach.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:57 PM
onegoal
Banned

Thats what I hate about factory cars is the mufflers are not loud. The reviews all said the new stang would be louder. I had to put my own mufflers on make it sound like a muscle car.

Also its a rag top hence why its probably slower as well. Better off getting a lighter hard top if your buying a car for speed.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Smooth, comfortable power is deceiving. I am happy with my car too but would jump at buying a new one if I had the money.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I drove one too a couple of weeks ago and expected it to feel quicker than it did. The one I drove was a convertible in auto.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:46 PM
StangRider89
1st Gear Member

I have not driven the 2011 but my 2010 with 3.73 rear end impresses everyone I tak for a ride. Even more now that I have the roush exhaust (My favorite exhaust I have ever heard)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_wTCxl1aos

But, after reading everything about the 2011 I want to drive one so bad. I want to feel the difference.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
brycerichert
1st Gear Member

I didn't test drive one.. but ordered it sight unseen. It puts me back in my seat with 3.73's. It's amazing. I like it being quieter on the inside so I can talk on the phone and have the voice rec. understand what I'm saying. Making it louder for those types of folks shouldn't be a problem. I'm at 1,000 miles now and am still looking for reasons to leave the house. The kids absolutely love the kick in the back. I can't believe it does this stock. Way to go Ford!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DROVE A NEW 2011 5.0 TONIGHT!!!!!!!