Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids

Old 04-16-2007, 02:22 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Default Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids

Window tint: Moleskin installation

Here's the deal, I've noticed that the Velcro felt has started to separate from its adhesive backing on a small section on the drivers side wiper channel causing the exposed adhesive glue to streak onto the tint when rolled up and down.

My choice was to either replace the Velcro with another strip, or install Moleskin felt in its place. As I have yet to read any negative comments on the use of Moleskin, I opted for the latter.

I obtained a Moleskin kit from Automoleskin.com. Kit comes complete with enough Moleskin to do both sides and a set of install direction.

Here's what I did to replace the Velcro with the Moleskin.

Side by side comparison (Moleskin on left)

Roll the window down and remove the (3) 7mm screws as shown in the pics below (2 on the back side of the door panel and 1 on the top forward side). I did not find it necessary to remove any more screws or trim pieces to access the wiper channel.

Access and remove the wiper channel. Grasp the top edge of the door panel towards the rear and with your fingers, firmly lift it up and over the channel. This step takes a little bit of forcing, so don't be afraid to really pull up on the door panel. Once the channel is accessible, lift up the channel from its end about half way, then slide the rest out.

Here you can see where the Velcro has drooped down, exposing the adhesive glue.

Here is a pic of the orientation of the wiper channel in relation to the track, which it will slide into later.

Velcro felt removal. I was afraid that I was going to have a big mess on my hands after I peeled off the Velcro strip. So, in anticipation of it, I used a blow dryer on the Velcro for a few minutes heating it as much as I can prior to lifting it off.

As you can see, it peeled most all the adhesive off with the Velcro.

I used some 3M adhesive remover and a clean rag to remove any traces of leftover glue residue off the channel.

Next, the contact surface on the wiper channel needed to be prepped correctly in order for the Moleskin to positively bond to it. I used 60 grit sandpaper to rough up the entire contact surface area, end to end.

After scuffing the surface, I used some Isopropyl Alcohol and another clean rag to wipe the entire length of the channel, being careful not to touch the wiped surface with my fingers.

Moleskin layout. The kit enclosed from AutoMoleskin is one long piece, enough to both sides. I laid out the Moleskin strip next to the channel (plus a inch, just incase) and cut it.

As you can see, the width of the Moleskin is wider than the width of the contact area on the wiper. To minimize any chance for the Moleskin to lift, or for any dirt/debris to work it's way between the felt and channel, I decided to trim the width so it lays perfectly flat on the contact surface (of the wiper). I measured and marked the width at 0.6", and used a razor and a straight edge to trim along the entire length.

Peel back the backing and carefully start at one end making sure that it lays flush along the top edge of the wiper channel.

Once you get to the opposite end (45 degree side), simply trim it to the edge using a razor.

Moleskin felt installed.

Wiper channel re-installation. Make sure you have the channel properly orientated with the 45 degree cut towards the front (door hinge). Position the end of the channel's groove into the metal frame (for me, the one painted Torch Red) and slide the channel all the way in. This operation will take a little bit of force to accomplish. Position your hands anyway you wish to give you the best leverage.

Once you can't push the channel any further into the frame, use a blunt object to push it in the rest of the way.

This shows the final position of the channel installed.

Door panel re-installation. Grasp the top edge of the door panel and pull it over the newly installed wiper channel.

Finishing up. Re-install the 3 door panel screws to complete the installation.
Automoleskin.com recommends not to roll the windows down for at least 12 hours.

Installation complete!

Note (6/9/07):
Sorry, I think there's some confusion with the Velcro felt.

All 05-07's do not come with any type of felt on the window wiper channel.

My tint installer originally put a strip of Velcro felt on the wiper channel to prevent any scratches on my newly tinted windows.

What I (and alot of people, especially those that live in hotter climates) discovered was that the glue on the backside of the velcro was actually seperating, thus smearing the exposed adhesive glue on the wiper channel onto the tint.

This is what I was removing and cleaning prior to the Moleskin installation.

Again, sorry for any confusion. Hope this clears things up.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids

Very nice write-up. I'll need this later.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Sweet garage and nice write-up!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:46 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Dude..you da'man....I installed the felt and so far so good, but if not moleskin is next and your writre up is in my favorites now....thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:22 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks for that, nice write up. I just my moleskin a couple days ago.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

excellent! thanks I planned on doing that because my windows rub when they go up or down and it sucks
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Tubra
2nd Gear Member

I love the moleskin. The first time I had my windows tinted, it ended up looking like the grooves ofa record. Luckily I found the moleskin cure and the guy at the tint place even redid them for free!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Yea, thanks.Nice write up!! I've got to do the same thing and this helps alot.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

This guy is amazing. Somone needs to sticky these things Ive never seen a regular member of any forum put together such nice and well illustrated (PLUS VIDEO!) tutorials. TacoBill..thanks again, and while I dont even have my Mustang yet I know this is definatly a tutorial Ill be referring back to when get my windows tinted.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Outstanding as is the norm for Bill.

Thanks for yet another great write up.

Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moleskin (for window tint) install w/pics and vids