Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this horrible noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 04:51 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Default What is this horrible noise?

I have had this noise for almost a year now, its progressed slowly and its at its worse. This noise only happens when its hot outside 50+ and the sun out mainly, I don't hear this at all during the winter or colder months. I cut my exhaust off almost all the way to the cats in anticipation to have it re done to rule that out and its not the exhaust. It sounds like a god awful metal on metal sound and seems like its coming from the UCA. I have the following UCA: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=257

This UCA was installed at a shop and I did buy the spacers needed for proper fit to the stock UCA Mount and it looks as if they are in there. I had the UCA installed a long with the 8.8, I didn't do it until a few months after this install. My other guess is the rubber bushing on the axle housing that the UCA attaches to is bad and it gets nice and soft when its hot outside and causes this noise. I do have the urethane replacement just haven't had the will power to go through the trouble to replace it, but if I can confirm thats what it is I am going to replace it. My 8.8 is a take off with unknown mileage so I'm thinking possibly the rubber bushing is shot causing metal on metal action that you really only hear under acceleration.

Don't mind the video itself, just listen to it. It is much louder when you are actually in the car in person.

EDIT: Before you guys ask yes I have verified everything is tight, even the mount under the back seat (I don't have back seats or a delete). Also it wouldn't matter being it only happens when its hot outside!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Push down on the car when it's not running...my bet is the UCA!! Lube them up a bit, and you'll be fine.

PS. That thing sounds just like my buddies off-road Tacoma!

Last edited by Roy_R; 04-22-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Push down on the car when it's not running...my bet is the UCA!! Lube them up a bit, and you'll be fine.
You don't hear anything when its not running. Thats what I am saying, you only hear it when the car has warmed up and its hot outside... Also you have to be accelerating.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Have you used this stuff on the rod-end?

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...&products_id=4
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Have you used this stuff on the rod-end?

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...&products_id=4
Nope, but I don't see how that would make a difference as it doesn't do it all the time and only when its hot. I will try something of that nature though.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Sounds like the exhaust hangers rubbing on their mounts to me. I had that problem with my pypes mid-mufflers and it would chirp and squeak, but only when hot and either on or off the throttle.

The exhaust moves rearward when hot.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Sounds like the exhaust hangers rubbing on their mounts to me. I had that problem with my pypes mid-mufflers and it would chirp and squeak, but only when hot and either on or off the throttle.

The exhaust moves rearward when hot.
I am running dumps about 2 feet after the cat right now and it still makes the noise. Initially thats what I thought it was and its not.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM
kdryan
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like the control arm bushings to me...
Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I have had this noise for almost a year now, its progressed slowly and its at its worse. This noise only happens when its hot outside 50+ and the sun out mainly, I don't hear this at all during the winter or colder months. I cut my exhaust off almost all the way to the cats in anticipation to have it re done to rule that out and its not the exhaust. It sounds like a god awful metal on metal sound and seems like its coming from the UCA. I have the following UCA: http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=257

This UCA was installed at a shop and I did buy the spacers needed for proper fit to the stock UCA Mount and it looks as if they are in there. I had the UCA installed a long with the 8.8, I didn't do it until a few months after this install. My other guess is the rubber bushing on the axle housing that the UCA attaches to is bad and it gets nice and soft when its hot outside and causes this noise. I do have the urethane replacement just haven't had the will power to go through the trouble to replace it, but if I can confirm thats what it is I am going to replace it. My 8.8 is a take off with unknown mileage so I'm thinking possibly the rubber bushing is shot causing metal on metal action that you really only hear under acceleration.

Don't mind the video itself, just listen to it. It is much louder when you are actually in the car in person.

2005 Mustang banging noise - YouTube

EDIT: Before you guys ask yes I have verified everything is tight, even the mount under the back seat (I don't have back seats or a delete). Also it wouldn't matter being it only happens when its hot outside!

Could be a couple of things:

1) When the UCA was installed was it done with the suspension loaded or unloaded? If the suspension was unloaded, the sound you hear could be the bushing binding.

2) On 2005-2007 Mustangs there is a TSB regarding exhaust hangers and how the support arm could make contact witht he metal rubber retainer of the exhaust hanger. The fix was to cut the metal off the rubber retainer and reposition the hook on the exhaust (bend it) so it woudl be properly supported. This sound usually comes from the center tunnel though, not the rear like you described. My bet is on #1

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...12-3-2007.html
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Could be a couple of things:

1) When the UCA was installed was it done with the suspension loaded or unloaded? If the suspension was unloaded, the sound you hear could be the bushing binding.

2) On 2005-2007 Mustangs there is a TSB regarding exhaust hangers and how the support arm could make contact witht he metal rubber retainer of the exhaust hanger. The fix was to cut the metal off the rubber retainer and reposition the hook on the exhaust (bend it) so it woudl be properly supported. This sound usually comes from the center tunnel though, not the rear like you described. My bet is on #1

https://mustangforums.com/mustang-ts...12-3-2007.html
The UCA was installed by a shop that was installing 8.8 at the same time so I am going to say unloaded. Its nothing to do with my exhaust because there is none back there right now. I sprayed some WD40 on the pivot joint today and sure as hell its not making a peep anymore. I am going to get the actual grease/lube but it seems like thats all it needed. You were right Roy!

Quick Reply: What is this horrible noise?