MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Throttle lag?????? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/100296-throttle-lag.html)

Speedeamon 02-28-2006 02:25 PM

Throttle lag??????

Well i have finally recieved my car today from ford with all my mods installed, Again i am going to list the mods so that i wouldnt confuse any replies to my question. Ok the mods are..... 3.73 gears...+.....C&L cold air intake....+....sctxcal2 with fred custome tune from evoerformance.....+.....tci converter 3000 stall and finally BB exhaust axle back..... The car is amazing now however i have a slight problem i still do have a lot of throttle lag after i hit the throttle it takes like 1 to 2 seconds before it down gears and reves up. I thought that after installing the sctxcal2 over the predator tuner i would resolve this problem since many people said that here on the forum...but still throttle lag is present. Any feed back would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.....

American muscle car lover

Tracedaddy 02-28-2006 02:45 PM

RE: Throttle lag??????

I'd appreciate an answer too. I'm hoping I can apply the answer to my Mazda 6. It does the same thing. (My Mustang is a 5 spd) They reflashed it and that made no difference. Then they found a system "Update" to install and that did nothing either. It can be downright dangerous. A couple times I hit the gas to pass or merge with traffic and nothing until it's almost too late.

[:o]

chevykiller 02-28-2006 03:36 PM

I have dealt with this issue at length. It is a very common and frustrating problem. I know this is going to sound simple, but I tried EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. From a/f adjustments, to clutch timing, to cam timing, and just about every adjustment you can make in the computer. I could always get the lag between shifts at WOT to shorten, but I could never get it to actual go away. Believe it or not, what solved the problem was a simple matter of setting my rev limiter far beyond my shift points. Turns out that the computer has a sensing program that actually kicks in right before the rev limiter that slightly retards the timing in preperation for the rev limiter function. Try shifting at WOT throttle at 5000 rpm and you won't see the lag. Don't set your rev limiter too crazy cause you don't want to blow your engine if you miss a shift. Try setting it for 7000 rpm and still make your shifts around 6000 (where you probably do now anyway) and see if that removes the lag. Let me know how it works for you.

Edit - this is for WOT shifts. The lag at the beginning of your punch is common in the auto because of the computer taking time to read the throttle before sending the 'okay' for the throttle response. If you are just concerned with the takeoff lag, then simply give the gas slowly unitl the car grabs before you punch it. Once the car has grabbed and you are moving at all - you can slam the pedal down and it will accelerate fine. The autos like to see acceleration first before you punch the pedal...just the way it is with the stock auto. Their are aftermaket torque converters and you can PM spyder for more info as he is very knowledgeable with the auto throttle response..

Speedeamon 02-28-2006 04:45 PM

OOOH Chevy bro i always appriciate your info cause i know your one of the best in this forum but here is the thing could you please help me with this if its not too much hasle and soo that i dont brake my engine. Ok i have an sctxcal 2 so can you guide me through the steps to do what you said please from the sctxcal menu. I am soo sorry for this hasle but you see bieng in the middle east its really reallly hard actually impossible to find someone to do a tune for you a good tune or to even edit setting in sctxcal2. So please if you can guide me step by step i would greatly appriciate it. Man i wish i can find a custome dyno tune for a 2005 gt auto with my mods ill buy it .

BlackB-U-TEE_06 02-28-2006 07:09 PM

hmm....like i've said in other threads, i just finished installing the same CAI setup in my car, and i noticed that the throttle lag greatly improved over stock, after i flashed the computer....i think i need to drive it a little more on the open road to see if i still have that lag.

hope this thread keeps going - would love to see how your situation turns out.

Tracedaddy 02-28-2006 07:24 PM

If anyone has ideas for a person without the luxury of a custom tune that would be great too.

Thanks.

MikeVistaBlue06 02-28-2006 07:26 PM

An actual dyno tune for your car might get rid of it.

I had the K&N FIPK and the 62mm billet throttle body installed, and they tuned it on a dyno and saved that to my SCT2.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Tracedaddy 02-28-2006 07:28 PM

Worth a shot. Thanks.

BlackB-U-TEE_06 02-28-2006 08:15 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeVistaBlue06

An actual dyno tune for your car might get rid of it.

I had the K&N FIPK and the 62mm billet throttle body installed, and they tuned it on a dyno and saved that to my SCT2.

Hope this helps.

Mike
even though i'm quite happy with my tune from Fred @ Evolution, i've also been thinking about getting my stang onto a dyno as well. about how much did it run you? you can PM me if you dont want to say....just curious what your dyno included and what a reasonable price is to pay....

MikeVistaBlue06 02-28-2006 08:46 PM

The dyno tune was $200. I spent another $2300 for all the other parts and labor from them, so I don't know if they gave me a break on the price or not.

I have no throttle lag whatsoever. I have to be careful in reverse or she'll scoot away from me!

Hope this helps.

Mike