Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats Up With Wheel Hop?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats Up With Wheel Hop?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm on the stock 17's and stock suspension and haven't had the hop either... I keep wondering what all the fuss is about [8D]
Old 03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I have never experienced wheel hop either. And I have made quite a few track runs also. I have factory 17" bullits with stock P-Zero's. Guess some of us are lucky this way.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I only get wheel hop when the roads are wet, when its dry no hop.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:58 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

I am a noob...what exactly is wheel hop?
Old 03-03-2006, 08:35 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Um when your wheels hop lol. Its when your gettin on it and the rears kinda start bouncing on the pavement. Try driving my sentra when the roads are wet then you'll know what true hop is. I once got 4th on my sentra on wet pavement it that tells you the kind of traction I get lol.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

Well feces. I thought this was a more common problem. I have the stock suspension, for now, and I do get a bit of irritating hop. I bought the Roush rear springs, Steeda adjustable panhard bar, and some kind of cheap [dont remember the name] lower control arms. I'll have all this put on in a few weeks and Im sure the problem will be gone, as well as that nasty rear fender gap. So, who else has a "Bouncin' Betty"?
Old 03-04-2006, 02:00 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

wheel hop or no wheel hop...if any stock cars do it, its a sure indication of some pretty good windup in the suspension, so even if not hopping, its stretching the heck out of the bushings right?

I saw no replies about my slapper bar question a few posts back...anyone else think they could help prevent windup with less shock to the chassis than any other alternatives??? just curious
Old 03-04-2006, 10:41 AM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

O.K. my 05GT with 17" Perrels wheel hops. Worse when wet. More when TCS is on. Tire pressure changes it. Drop the pressure at the track for traction and less hop. I like hard cornering so I run 5-10 p.s.i. over door sticker. I only let it hop when I want to see my girl friends chest bounce.[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

A buddy had a pick-up with 75 series tires. It would spin smooth. When he put 50 series on they were so hard it would wheel hop. The tires could not absorb the torque and the suspension had to.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:33 PM
LimeStang05
2nd Gear Member

For those of you with no wheel hop.......Have you ever done a REAL burnout? Not just spinning the tires... Have you ever done a power brake burnout and got the tires smoking like hell while you were bumping the rev limiter? If you can do a 6000 rpm burnout without wheel hop on stock suspension, Video it for me....

I can only imagine that some of you with "no wheel hop" have probably never been in a burnout contest. I want to see you hold your burnout for about ten seconds (quite a long time for a burnout). You might have more wheel hop than you thought.

Actually, at 6000 rpm+ is where the Limestangs wheel hop would start to level out. I had a set of BMR lower control arms on the car and it would still hop the tire past half track...(they stayed on the car when I traded it in).

I guess I'll try my new Torch Red 06 and get back to you....
Old 03-04-2006, 02:30 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

I purchased some J & M lower control arms with poly bushings based on what was said about wheel hop before I took my car to the track. I had no noticable wheel hop at the track. Now I have a set of lower control arms I bought for nothing. They do look lighter than the factory and probably stronger so may put them in some day.

Quick Reply: Whats Up With Wheel Hop?!?!?!?!?!?!?