Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights and foglights melting problem.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Hopen4low12s
1st Gear Member

Default Headlights and foglights melting problem.....

who has what??? ford is saying mine are melting the inside of my headlight because they get to hot ?? is that becuase there blue or just aftermarket??ford said they arent going to warrenty my whole lights deal if i didn't change the lights. were can i get a nice set of lights for my car and not worry about ford complaining about them ..Do HIDs get hot?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:33 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Headlights and foglights melting problem.....

Don't buy those cheap blue tinted bulbs, they burn a lot hotter than the regular hologen bulbs and some WILL melt either the housing or the wires. HIDs will not get a hot as those aftermarket bulbs, they might even burn colder than the stock hologen bulbs.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
ohfiveride
2nd Gear Member

i replaced my bulbs with those cheap tinted ones.....bc the stock just absolutley sucked......after a week both of those light directers or whatever they're called that are around the bulb fell off........this is pulrely fords fault bc they are only held in place with glue.....there is no way to put them back in place after they fall off....and everytime i go to get my oil changed the ******** goes..."um sir could you step out of the car ...you've got to see something." i tell him yeah....i know shut up and change the oil...
Old 03-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Yup, it's the chepoe a/m tinted bulbs. They tint the glass blue but when they do that, the light output goes doen. So they alter the wattage and sometimes the chepos run at almost double the wattage. That'll be nearly 75% hotter than stockers.

Eurolights.com offers great a/m bulbs that burn white with a slight blue tint but they stay within a few watts of the stock bulbs so they won't burn the housings.

HID's run even cooler than stock halogens with more light output, but they are obviously a lot more expensive.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:16 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohfiveride
everytime i go to get my oil changed the ******** goes..."um sir could you step out of the car ...you've got to see something." i tell him yeah....i know shut up and change the oil...
sorry man, that's funny though!!
Old 03-16-2006, 02:45 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

JUst put the stock bulbs back in, take it to Ford and act Dumb. I have done it many times with warranty stuff,always keep your stock stuff no matter how minor.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Hopen4low12s
1st Gear Member

they werent cheap though like 80$ for the headlights and 35 a peice for the fogs lol im pissed just blew money for no reason
Old 03-16-2006, 06:25 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Just put the stock bulbs back in, and go to another dealership
Old 03-16-2006, 06:53 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohfiveride

i replaced my bulbs with those cheap tinted ones.....bc the stock just absolutley sucked......after a week both of those light directers or whatever they're called that are around the bulb fell off........this is pulrely fords fault bc they are only held in place with glue.....there is no way to put them back in place after they fall off....and everytime i go to get my oil changed the ******** goes..."um sir could you step out of the car ...you've got to see something." i tell him yeah....i know shut up and change the oil...
I don't know... saying it's Fords fault for using glue to hold the lights in place is kinda like me installing a supercharger pushing 15psi of boost, blowing my engine, then saying it's Fords fault for using an engine block that couldn't handle 800 horsepower...
It's not Fords fault... just take comfort that you learned a lesson, and have passed the knowledge on to us so we don't do the same thing.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

My stock fog lights melted the base and "metal cage" around the bulbs at 2000 miles. They were totally replaced. The fella that worked on them said that this happens all the time with aftermarket lamps, and it's the first he's seen with stock bulbs. He showed me Ford's "stock" bulbs compared to the aftermarket bulbs. The Ford bulbs seem to be longer and protrude further away from the base, seemingly helping to "push" the heat further into the lense holder and away from the base. The bases were identical, so both fit just fine.

Bottom line - Ford bulbs seem to be different than the exact same aftermarket units, and the lenses/glue will melt for sure if some (most) of the aftermarket bulbs are used, and even with the stockers. User beware!!