Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

Default How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

A guy at work was telling me how its possible to change gears from 1 to 4 without even touching the clutch. I'm a noob when it comes to driving but I've never heard of such a thing in a Stick of any car much less a Mustang.

The basic gist of it as I understood was that if you take off the line and shift from 1 to 2 at the right RPM's, you can do so without hittin the clutch, and the same from 2 to 3, and 3 to 4, but not 4 to 5.

Can any of you talk about this, because I find this quite intriguing.

Can any of you talk about how this works, its time benefits and its potential dangers to the car?
Old 03-16-2006, 02:55 PM
351PONY
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

I had a friend growing up that heard this same thing. He ended up trashing his tranny doing this. So in a nutshell don't do it. [sm=badidea.gif]
Old 03-16-2006, 02:56 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?

im not sure how its done i know it has to be shifted all at the right rpms.. my dad used to do it in his 61 vette all the time
Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I've done it before but I just wanted to see if I could do it. I don't think it is too good for the car, so I stay away from it.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:00 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

It's how I usually drove my old 83 accord (my car before my 05 stang), it was easy as pie in that thing, it's also easy on F-350 diesel

I tried it 1/2 dozen times in my stang, and haven't been able to do it yet.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

It's how I usually drove my old 83 accord (my car before my 05 stang), it was easy as pie in that thing, it's also easy on F-350 diesel

I tried it 1/2 dozen times in my stang, and haven't been able to do it yet.
well you better just keep on trying till you get it right then.....NOT!

It CAN be done in some cars because syncros are pretty decent these days but I would NEVER EVER try it on a car that I cared about. I have done it at low RPM in my old GT. If you are really careful and gentle, it will go into gear sometimes but I wouldn't count on it.

The guys who do it at the track (and NASCAR) have straight cut gears (ours are helical).

Don't shift without the clutch. It's bad m'kay.

Old 03-16-2006, 03:58 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Yes, everyone that does this please report in. Hang on, let me go get my "Guys Not To Buy Used Cars From" list first
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
kazmtj22
1st Gear Member

I use to do it all the time in my 93 lx. The clutch became very hard to push in so for most of the shifting i wouldnt use it. Its not that hard. Since I put a new clutch i really haven't been doing to much.....i guess if you dont do it right you can really screw up the transmission.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:16 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

i got good at in my old '94 S-10 that had a crappy clutch...
and I've done it a few times in the mustang....
it's a pretty worthless trick unless you MUST do it because your clutch is shot...

At the right RPM the gears will sync up close enough to slide out of and into another gear without the clutchplate having to slow the tranny down to be able to switch...usually this occurs at low rpm. I've only been able to do in the mustang at rpms of less than 2,000, which means your next gear is going to be at about 1,000-1250 rpms which is pretty useless anyway. If you're in neutral and moving at about 30mph, you should be able to slide into 3rd gear pretty easily without the clutch. If it doesn't go right away put pressure on 3rd gear and play with the throttle a little bit, when you get the right RPM usually moving down from 2k to idle is should slide in. I'm pretty sure that putting pressure on a gear without actually shifting is probably rough on your tranny...but it's definitely possible in the new mustang-I've done it.

It takes some practice to time it right but again it's kind of pointless unless you have to do it because your clutch is shot.

Sincerly,
Your local Clutch and Tranny Braker.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

can be done, I have. But the mushy drive by wire makes it a little more difficult. Bad for the trans, and should only be done if the clutch goes out. and only to get it home or at least off the freeway.

Quick Reply: How many of you can "CLUTCHLESS SHIFT" in your GT's? Have you heard of this technique?