Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those thinking of high HP - read this!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 03:02 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: For those thinking of high HP - read this!

and nobody understood why i have done everything else but a s/c or turbo. and why i'm a fan of staying N/A. thats not to say that high hp n/a cars don't need fuel system and engine upgrades but everything is not as extreme. i want to run 11's n/a. i know it can be done justin already did it. i have been racing and around it all my life. the easiest way to go fast is reduce weight and have a properly setup suspension. this alone can give performance gains equal to or beyond power adders. like mine my auto has been so far 12.60's...my engine is stock from the t/b to the oil pan. after some more tweaking with gear ratios and tuning i believe 12.40's are in the near future. now i'm getting close and i haven't even began to think about the engine yet. hopefully by the end of the season i'll see my 11.99 with a stock motor once the entire combination is optimized. then i can set a new goal. 10's with a stock shortblock n/a? maybe.
Old 03-19-2006, 03:07 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

and nobody understood why i have done everything else but a s/c or turbo. and why i'm a fan of staying N/A. thats not to say that high hp n/a cars don't need fuel system and engine upgrades but everything is not as extreme. i want to run 11's n/a. i know it can be done justin already did it. i have been racing and around it all my life. the easiest way to go fast is reduce weight and have a properly setup suspension. this alone can give performance gains equal to or beyond power adders. like mine my auto has been so far 12.60's...my engine is stock from the t/b to the oil pan. after some more tweaking with gear ratios and tuning i believe 12.40's are in the near future. now i'm getting close and i haven't even began to think about the engine yet. hopefully by the end of the season i'll see my 11.99 with a stock motor once the entire combination is optimized. then i can set a new goal. 10's with a stock shortblock n/a? maybe.
I am right there with ya brother! These thoughts about power adders roll through my brain and then someone gernades a motor.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:11 PM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Hey CK what did your rotating assembly come with? Mine came with rods, rod bolts, dished pistons, rings, main studs, head studs, rod bearings main bearings, and crankshaft for $1965.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:30 PM
zanemoseley
2nd Gear Member

Isn't 14psi on stock internals just asking for it though. I thought if you're running 8psi or under you dont' have to worry much about the stock stuff.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:46 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724
I'm right with you too, one for staying N/A and the other because you also have an auto, so I always look for any updates from you on times or any upgrades either here or on other boards. I know I'm not as good a driver but I'll be getting some practice soon. I've never ran the 1/4 mile at a track before, plan on going down to Atco in NJ soon though, have to check their schedule.

Gotta love CK for being out there doing all those things, then coming back and sharing the info too. [sm=signs003.gif]
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==and nobody understood why i have done everything else but a s/c or turbo==

==These thoughts about power adders roll through my brain and then someone gernades a motor. ==

Chevykiller stated that he has been running over 500 hp on stock lower end for over a year without problems. His post is intended for the truly hardcore that are after 600+ hp (which is where he's heading with his new motor). Throwing a power adder on there isn't going to get you guys up to those power levels if it's set up with the recommended PSI. The tune is really critical with power adders, if you don't get a proper tune you're going to run lean and that may blow the motor. If you read freefallpat's post, he was running a whopping 14 psi and did not dyno tune it. That's way beyond the recommended parameters. It's truly unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear it happened, but I would not be afraid to run a power adder based on posts like that.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:57 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

So basically if you wanna make crazy horsepower, you better have the funds to purchase a short block with forged internals.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:09 PM
freefallpat
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

==and nobody understood why i have done everything else but a s/c or turbo==

==These thoughts about power adders roll through my brain and then someone gernades a motor. ==

Chevykiller stated that he has been running over 500 hp on stock lower end for over a year without problems. His post is intended for the truly hardcore that are after 600+ hp (which is where he's heading with his new motor). Throwing a power adder on there isn't going to get you guys up to those power levels if it's set up with the recommended PSI. The tune is really critical with power adders, if you don't get a proper tune you're going to run lean and that may blow the motor. If you read freefallpat's post, he was running a whopping 14 psi and did not dyno tune it. That's way beyond the recommended parameters. It's truly unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear it happened, but I would not be afraid to run a power adder based on posts like that.

Would it be possible to put a 460 BIG block in a mustang 05? Hell Ford racing make one that is over 600hp N/a?

Old 03-19-2006, 06:14 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: chevykiller
I get better deals than most (Bear that in mind) and here's what I've had to shell out so far...

302 stroker kit with rods, pistons, crank, and assembly - $2200, Valve train and springs kit - $1700, Comp cams - $650, -8 fuel lines/60 lbs injectors/injectors adapters/fuel rails - $1500, head work - $800, Charge motion delete plates - $300.
Not trying to sound like an *** or anything, but where is the "better deal"? Those prices are pretty much dollar for dollar the same as what anyone can get from SHMs web site.

I do have a question for you, and a couple of comments.
How much have you investigated going with a stroker setup on this block? Reason I ask, is because I have been kicking around the idea also. And I have heard from a couple of different sources that if it done with what most everyone sells on the market currently that after 20k or so miles the sleeves start loosening up in the block because of the length of the rods people are selling with the stroker kits.

My comment is on the CMDPs. I am actually pretty surprised that was the cause of the engine failure. What surprises me about it is I pretty much assumed that anyone that went forced induction just automatically installed CMDPs. Seems sort of anitproductive to put on a power adder and leave an intake restriction on the motor.

As for the fuel system, 100% agree with you. Upgraded fuel lines and injectors are a must. Get in to high HP and fuel rails and possibly a pump change ( I am kind of anit BAP ) are going to be very necessary. But everyone should note that fuel system upgrades on a returnless fuel system are a PITA so be prepaired.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:48 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freefallpat

Would it be possible to put a 460 BIG block in a mustang 05? Hell Ford racing make one that is over 600hp N/a?

I'm sure anything is possible I saw a picture of a V6 'stang that had a Ford GT wedged in it, that's the kind of stuff that gets you thinking crazy thoughts

Quick Reply: For those thinking of high HP - read this!