Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those thinking of high HP - read this!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: For those thinking of high HP - read this!

ORIGINAL: jbailer

chevykiller, thanks for the info. I found them after lots of searching around on Steeda's web site. I certainly don't mean to be argumentative so don't take this wrong, I have a lot of respect for the information and experience you share. I think delete kits mean remove. The rear seat delete kit is to remove the rear seat. The sway bar delete removes the sway bar rather than replace it.

My confusion was since you were talking about stronger CMCPs, I didn't understand why you were talking about delete. I've read others talking about deleting the CMCPs.

Do you know what is involved in the installation? Thanks -Joe
ORIGINAL: chevykiller

The word 'delete' could be just as easily used as 'replacement' - seems to be a term widely used by the aftermarket guys like swaybar delete kit, etc. etc. It is my understanding that in addition to the better construction, they allow for much more ariflow. And you can get them from steeda.
I'm out of my league on this one. I'm not familiar with these at all. I mean I know what they do (restrict air flow) but I have never personally dealt with them before. I have never even thought twice about them until justin burcham blew his motor up and told me about them. Now, it seems with forced induction, it is something that should of course be done, but I'm learning myself the actual mechanics and functions of the CMCP's so hopefully someone else will also shed some light on these for me and you...[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 03-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I'm certainly no expert either, but my understanding is that the CMCPs have butterflies in them that restrict airflow and are actuated by a lever in the back of the intake manifold. Here's an image:

[IMG]local://upfiles/28883/7AB0F221A75B48BEAF07719B7CBF30D9.jpg[/IMG]

The Steeda plates are legitimate deletes--they remove entirely the butterfly mechanisms--somewhere I saw installation instructions that involved taking the associated levers off of the manifold.

All in all, it doesn't seem too difficult, at least not more so than taking the intake manifold on and off. The CMCPs just sit directly under the runners of the manifold, so when you take the manifold off, you just unbolt the plates, swap them for the delete plates (which are now no more than extensions of the runners), and bolt it all back together.

Hopefully others will chime in with more info.
Best,
-j
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Philostang

I'm certainly no expert either, but my understanding is that the CMCPs have butterflies in them that restrict airflow and are actuated by a lever in the back of the intake manifold. Here's an image:

[IMG]local://upfiles/28883/7AB0F221A75B48BEAF07719B7CBF30D9.jpg[/IMG]

The Steeda plates are legitimate deletes--they remove entirely the butterfly mechanisms--somewhere I saw installation instructions that involved taking the associated levers off of the manifold.

All in all, it doesn't seem too difficult, at least not more so than taking the intake manifold on and off. The CMCPs just sit directly under the runners of the manifold, so when you take the manifold off, you just unbolt the plates, swap them for the delete plates (which are now no more than extensions of the runners), and bolt it all back together.

Hopefully others will chime in with more info.
Best,
-j
A very big...[sm=thanx.gif]
Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

A picture is worth 1000 words, thanks! Looking at that picture, I figure the CMCPs are the silver at the bottom of the black runners. In the case of the Steeda CMCPs, I see what Philostang is saying. They really are deletes. When you remove the factory CMCP, this billet aluminum CMCP fills that space but has no moving parts to, as they say "restrict air".

The stock CMCPs are meant to tumble the air at low RPMs to increase flow. Kind of like blowing the same volume of air through a small straw vs a big straw. If you have the same volume of air in both cases, the air moving through the small straw is moving quicker. I guess Steeda's contention is that it is not the same volume of air because the stock CMCPs restricted the flow. My thought is that Normally aspirated there is no pressure to bend these and they are fine. If you have a blower, the plates should be opened earlier or the plates will be fighting the early pressure.

You can control the RPM opening of the CMCPs with the SCT2 or Predator I believe. It would be interesting to know what blower they used and see what the air flow (direction) was like. Maybe it is a design issue of the intake runners with the particular blower. I hate to get rid of them because I'm convinced they serve a good purpose at low RPMs and at high RPMs, they are completely opened and not blocking at all. I'll see if I can discuss it with Justin when they are working on my suspension. -Joe
Old 03-23-2006, 11:10 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jbailer

A picture is worth 1000 words, thanks! Looking at that picture, I figure the CMCPs are the silver at the bottom of the black runners. In the case of the Steeda CMCPs, I see what Philostang is saying. They really are deletes. When you remove the factory CMCP, this billet aluminum CMCP fills that space but has no moving parts to, as they say "restrict air".

The stock CMCPs are meant to tumble the air at low RPMs to increase flow. Kind of like blowing the same volume of air through a small straw vs a big straw. If you have the same volume of air in both cases, the air moving through the small straw is moving quicker. I guess Steeda's contention is that it is not the same volume of air because the stock CMCPs restricted the flow. My thought is that Normally aspirated there is no pressure to bend these and they are fine. If you have a blower, the plates should be opened earlier or the plates will be fighting the early pressure.

You can control the RPM opening of the CMCPs with the SCT2 or Predator I believe. It would be interesting to know what blower they used and see what the air flow (direction) was like. Maybe it is a design issue of the intake runners with the particular blower. I hate to get rid of them because I'm convinced they serve a good purpose at low RPMs and at high RPMs, they are completely opened and not blocking at all. I'll see if I can discuss it with Justin when they are working on my suspension. -Joe
I talked to Justin Burcham personally for awhile and wanted to do some more research too. It seems the deletes are really only neccessary for high boosted applications. Justin was running 16 lbs of boost + Nitrous! [:@] (procharger BTW)

I also run high boost + nitrous so that is why it is essential for me. From what I've been hearing, it really isn't a neccessity unless you're going to be running some serious boost and definitely NOT a neccessity for n/a cars as, like you said, you can adjust the flow rate with your tuner. What a great learning experience for me today too - Big thanks to all you guys...[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 03-25-2006, 01:13 AM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Hey CK,

I have to build my engine back also. I was looking at the MMR blocks.. they have 2 of them.. (ones a stroker kit). Both have the 04 cobra block. I was thinking of putting a patch on mine since the damage doesn look too bad (from the outh side). Many tell me to patch it.. some are dead agaist it. Are you under the feeling that the stock alum block cant handle 600-700rwhp? I dont know what will be cheaper.. to patch the block or stich with the cobra block and accept the 80lbs more. Also if I stick with 12 psi I wont need the CMCP? Damn.. I wish this was easier =-/ .. I was thinking of pulling out the engine with a friend or 2.. Is it that hard to take out? Anywone got some instructions? I'm sooo screwed...
Old 03-26-2006, 12:07 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lostsoul

Hey CK,

I have to build my engine back also. I was looking at the MMR blocks.. they have 2 of them.. (ones a stroker kit). Both have the 04 cobra block. I was thinking of putting a patch on mine since the damage doesn look too bad (from the outh side). Many tell me to patch it.. some are dead agaist it. Are you under the feeling that the stock alum block cant handle 600-700rwhp? I dont know what will be cheaper.. to patch the block or stich with the cobra block and accept the 80lbs more. Also if I stick with 12 psi I wont need the CMCP? Damn.. I wish this was easier =-/ .. I was thinking of pulling out the engine with a friend or 2.. Is it that hard to take out? Anywone got some instructions? I'm sooo screwed...
I think the 4.6 block is good for about 800 hp (built) and DON'T patch your block. If you're conserving cash, then go with the tescid. You can get it for $400-$500 and bucks and is strong as heck. A lot of guys are gonig with these and with the power you plan on, the extra wait won't be a big deal...