Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Pins

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Pins

ORIGINAL: phord

here is a pic of the hood

[IMG]local://upfiles/32267/D97B33675CDA4FDBB60C43AF0347A8B9.jpg[/IMG]
Dude.......that color scheme is definitely a first[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Old 03-22-2006, 05:34 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes! +1
Show us more!
I'm at the point where I get excited when I see our S197's with a different paint scheme!
So much better than basic black or red stripes!
Or were those just for St. Patrick's Day???
Old 03-22-2006, 07:27 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006MustangGTNYC

ORIGINAL: 5xStang

Please don't.

why? plesae explain
The same reason you shouldn't stick a fake blower on your hood, wear a clip-on tie, or put on fake rubber biceps. Useless bling is bad enough; fake useless bling is the worst. If you want your car to be a performance car then put performance goodies on it. If you want your car to look effectively customized then customize it. Fake crap for making the car look like something it's not, or taking a cheap/easy approach, is "low rent."

But, then again, it's your car and therefore your canvas upon which to create your own artwork. I am just offering my opinion since you asked for opinions.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Summit has some Ford Racing Hood pins, and if I recall correctly they are less then $50, and will give you that classic muscle car look. That is what I am going to go with whenever I decide on what hood I want.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I had this same philosophy on my last car when I bought a carbon fiber hood for it. I never had any sign of instability with the new hood. Then one day it ripped open going 80MPH on a small road. I don't like the look of the hood pins and would never put them on if they weren't needed. Now I'll never put a fiberglass hood on without them though. -Joe
ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

I think he means that it's not, in some ppl's eyes, right to add hood pins/fake hood pins just for looks. I personally don't intend to do hood pins on the aftermarket hood I'm ordering until I see how much wobble, if any, it has at higher speeds. If you want to do it just for "the look"....then go with the fakes. At least you can take them off if you tire of the look. Otherwise, I wouldn't do hood pins unless you have stability issues with whatever hood you have installed on your car.

But, to each his own.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:41 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I had this same philosophy on my last car when I bought a carbon fiber hood for it. I never had any sign of instability with the new hood. Then one day it ripped open going 80MPH on a small road. I don't like the look of the hood pins and would never put them on if they weren't needed. Now I'll never put a fiberglass hood on without them though. -Joe
That must of been one pretty dam weird feeling, couldn't imagine what it would look like in your eyes. Did it hit your windshield or anything?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:58 PM
olmstead

I used the Ford racing hood pins, stainsteel, coated lanyards, I personally love the look.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26967/69E663EC630F4E1B809D430187FE371A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-22-2006, 05:08 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I used the FRPP pins from Summit. They were too short but I used bolt connectors to make them longer. Very simple fix. I also tapped the radiator support and screwed the pins right into the car. Very solid. Drilling the hood wasn't so bad. Put your pins in the radiator support where you want them. Lower the hood (I removed the catch so it wouldn't sit on it) and mark where the dimples are in the underliner. I used my cigar bullet cutter to make perfect holes in the liner. Then I put a small dab of red rtv on each pin and lowered the hood. I drilled a pilot hole frome the underside based on where the red rtv left a mark. Then went up-top and did the rest. GOOD LUCK, the pins are one of those "I haven't seen them since...." items.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

YO-that white with the Green stripes is BAD ***---love it--nice choice--love to see more pics--[sm=goodidea.gif]
Old 03-22-2006, 06:43 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

Too bad he didn't go with Legend Lime Green....[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: Hood Pins