Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinion of 1st gear???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
canefanfolife
I ♥ Acer

Default Opinion of 1st gear???

Ok so im 17 and iv driven manual on my dads old diesel bug and now i just got a manual gt, my biggest problem is the damn 1st gear, everything else goes easy as can be, any advice for getting first gear goin smooth?? I try to gas it when im almost off the clutch and its goes but not smooth, then i try a little sooner and i stall embaressing!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 09:23 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Opinion of 1st gear???

Practice practice!!!! im 17 also but iv ben driving manual since i was 5 lol, so its easier for me, but just let out the clutch SLOW, dont go till it engages then dump it, it will jerk and be very annoying!! which you already know. go SLOW
Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Or you can learn how i learned when i was younger:

My dad took me out and put me on the steepest hill that he could find... he then got out and stood about 5 inches behind the car... He then yelled out... ok Danny... either you put it in gear and go forward or you stall out and run me over... lol... Thankfully I never missed a beat and went forward everytime
Old 03-21-2006, 09:52 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: skilz4u2nv

My dad took me out and put me on the steepest hill that he could find... he then got out and stood about 5 inches behind the car... He then yelled out... ok Danny... either you put it in gear and go forward or you stall out and run me over... lol... Thankfully I never missed a beat and went forward everytime
+1, find a steep hill and practice until you can start without rolling backwards. I always get annoyed when it looks like someone is going to roll backwards into me on a hill, not to mention get worried.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

lol yeah practice! just donthold the car on the hill with the clutch. if yousmellburning get offthe hill
Old 03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skilz4u2nv

Hey thats how I learned to drive stick.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

well, im 16 and this is my first stick shift car but what i learned to get it start going was, it takes practice at first its a nice little trick though... heres what you do, you let the clutch out very slowly untill you see the rpms starting to drop, thats the point where you wanna start giving just a LITTLE gas, maybe to a littleo ver 1k rpms and youll go off nice and smooth, it just really takes practice.. i did that for a few days and then i got used to where the clutch was at now its just like breathing, i try to shift smooth all the time... also when youre going from say 1st to 2nd, right before you let the clutch out all the way start giving it gas... youll know when itll feel right.

i have a question though, when youre going wot, or heavy acceleration, are there any special clutch/shift techniques? like should you try to do it the same way you do when youre shifting normally? (gas before you let it out all the way) or just ream it 100%
Old 03-21-2006, 11:24 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

well you can power-shift it, which is keep your foot on the floor and let it it the rev-limiter when you shift in WOT. If your quick enough it wont even hit the limiter, but it takes practice,, and iv heard its hard on the frivetrain. But yeah just give it a litle before you let off the clutch. You can floor it then too if youwant, youl takeoff real quick then slow up buti guess its faster.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Hopen4low12s
1st Gear Member

listen this is what you do just side-step it bounce rev limiter slide your foot to the right off the clutch and let it eat...you will never stall EVER...seriously im serious
Old 03-27-2006, 11:43 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Hold the button in on the E-Brake, holding the E-Brake up; clutch in; you will not roll back. As you gradually release the clutch and feel the car wanting to roll forward, gradually release the E-Brake. You can get so good at this the guy behind you will think you have an automatic; after more experience you won't need to use this technique unless maybe you are stopped on the access climb road to Mt Washington. practice a few times once in a while; you will not be hurting the car withthis technique; it's all quite gradual touch here. (Remember to keep E-Brake button in during this process) ...easy to learn; try it and avoid the embarrassment of rolling backward. Might be a GT40 behind you on that hill. (lol)

Quick Reply: Opinion of 1st gear???