Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts on the JLT2/XCAL2 setup from Evolution Performance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Default My thoughts on the JLT2/XCAL2 setup from Evolution Performance.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the JLT2/XCAL2 setup that I just received from Evolution Performance. First off, the service was exceptional. I made the order with Fred and the stuff was on my doorstep in a couple of days.

The JLT2 isn’t the most impressive thing to look at, but it is solid and well constructed and the directions were good. Taking my time, and with deliberate care, it took me all of 20 minutes to install. Probably the easiest mod I can remember doing on any car or truck, and I have been doing this kind of stuff for quite a while. The reflash took 5 minutes and I was done! (I went the conservative route and used the 87 octane tune)

Now for the test-drive. At first I really didn’t notice much change, but after I backed out of the driveway and started moving I noticed a vastly improved throttle response. I drove normally until I got to the highway on ramp and it was on! As I gunned it, the rear end wanted to get away a little from me, so I had to back off a little. But I hit it again and it was screaming. I was doing 120 before I could blink. The JLT2/XCAL2 setup has turned my Mustang into a different animal. The best analogy is…well…it feels as if it was just injected with adrenaline. This mod was worth every penny of the $525 I spent. I would highly recommend the JLT2/XCAL2 setup and Fred’s tune and service to anyone out there.

As for the exhaust note: there was definitely a change in the exhaust note; maybe a little deeper and more pronounced. I have a stock exhaust for now, but my new Corsa Exhaust set-up is on the way. I will report my findings after I receive and install it.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:33 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My thoughts on the JLT2/XCAL2 setup from Evolution Performance.

I just got the exact same thing and I absolutely love it! I did the install in a good 25 minutes and then the installing the tune only took a good 5 minutes! I'm going to make a thread and post some pictures on mine along with a video including sound. It is absolutely amazing and the throttle response is awesome. I am currently using the 93 octane tune and will be using the 100 octane tune at the track. Five stars to Evo. Performance.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

I can only imagine how good the 93 octane tune is after my own experience with the 87 tune. This thing rocks with just the 87!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:25 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Yeah, it is great. I am really surprised on the overall throttle response, I was expecting it to be big but not like this. I am still hyped up about it and cannot wait to keep modding my beauty!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:00 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Can you guys comment more about why you chose the 87 vs 93 octane tune. I was under the impression that the handheld can hold three custom tunes and that if you ordered from Evo or Brenspeed they will customize three tunes for you and you just plug and play depending on what you fill the tank up with.

Does each additional tune cost more? or for $525 Evo only gave you one custom tune?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

your impression is correct

Mine came with
1. 87 octane tune
2. 93 octane tune (currently running this one)
3. 100 octane tune for strip
and
4. "stock" tune (automatically saves on tuner upon initial setup)

the higher the octane the better the performance, at least that's what I've been told...someone a little more knowledgeable might be able to explain why, etc... but for now I'm cool with pumping the expensive stuff into her and enjoying the obvious difference from stock.

all 3 performance tunes were included in the price and I assume all the shops offer the same # of tunes (although they might be called different names or have slightly different parameters/shift points etc...) I went with Evolution setup and have been very happy with the results.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 AM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone gotten theirs dynode after installing the tune from Evolution? Just wanted to verify that all the parameters are safely set, and not damaging to the engine just to make up for added horsepower.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Fred supplies three different tunes at whatever octane you want. I just chose to use the 87 because of gas prices.

ORIGINAL: UrS4

Can you guys comment more about why you chose the 87 vs 93 octane tune. I was under the impression that the handheld can hold three custom tunes and that if you ordered from Evo or Brenspeed they will customize three tunes for you and you just plug and play depending on what you fill the tank up with.

Does each additional tune cost more? or for $525 Evo only gave you one custom tune?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:05 AM
Evolution Performance
Former Sponsor

Here is a cool video I threw together earlier tonight!

Evolution Performance, Inc - 2005 Mustang GT Right Click Save Target As
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 AM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

I'm headed to Evolution Performance in the morning for a CAI and Xcal tune by Fred. I did the limited slip rear last week and look forward to seeing and feeling my V6's Evolution in the morning. I'll keep you guys posted with a review later this weekend on how everything goes.

Awesome sound you have there Fred!

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the JLT2/XCAL2 setup from Evolution Performance.