Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Dead f%$#@ing battery

Old 12-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Bob11

Default RE: Dead f%$#@ing battery

I sse it has been some time with I gess no problems,, Mine 06 GT was going dead overnight all last winter and the dealer said it was OK and then summmer it was not bad, now winter again and it is doing it again, took to the dealer they said nothing wrong I told them I wanted a new battery they said as long as it checked OK ford will not pay to replace... I went off and they called all over and ford told them they have been having problems with this, If you dont drive at least 20 miles a day it will not recharge due to all the eletric draw, ther answer was they installed a charger and I plug in at night. They are waiting for a ford recall to put in a larger Alt and Batt..we will see.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bob11

I sse it has been some time with I gess no problems,, Mine 06 GT was going dead overnight all last winter and the dealer said it was OK and then summmer it was not bad, now winter again and it is doing it again, took to the dealer they said nothing wrong I told them I wanted a new battery they said as long as it checked OK ford will not pay to replace... I went off and they called all over and ford told them they have been having problems with this, If you dont drive at least 20 miles a day it will not recharge due to all the eletric draw, ther answer was they installed a charger and I plug in at night. They are waiting for a ford recall to put in a larger Alt and Batt..we will see.
Sorry, but that sounds like a crock of horse$#!t that they fed you about driving 20 mi. a day. I don't drive that in a day when I go back & forth to work (I work 7 mi. from home, total is 14 mi. round trip), and I've not had a problem with my car's battery. I've had it over a year, as well, and this problem never developed...Seems suspicious to me.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

My battery went out last week at around 52,000 Miles. Would only start if car had been running recently. Was a bitch waking up at 4 in the morning and having to find someone to jump it. Went and got a new one and no problems sense.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:29 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

GET A RED TOP OPTIMA
Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Oh, yes...dead battery...hate it when it happens.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rford426

GET A RED TOP OPTIMA
They dont make a 40R. Mounting and possibly cables (R stands for reversed poles) will have to be modified.

Get a Deka 650CCA 40R. They seem to have the least issues of any of the direct fit batteries.
Dont get a Johnson Controls (Motorcraft, Sears, etc) or Exide.

Their are no AGM(Such asOptima) direct fit batteries available to my knowledge.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Curious, is your stang auto or manual??
Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
jeffsmachine

I had the dead battery in the morning problem twice.I read on this forum , about the skipper 500 not shutting off sometimes.So now I turn the radio off before I turn the car off, and I have not had a dead battery since.
jeff
Old 12-16-2007, 10:26 PM
WAGSTER05

Friday my battery was dead in my car. I charged it and it started just fine but I wanted to replace it anyway.When I took it out I noticed the little eye thingy was red instead of green. When I went to the parts store they said it was a 96r and they handled a 40r which is optional. I got the 40r and there were small spacers on the sides that you remove to fit the larger battery. The only thing I was missing is the wrap that goes around the battery but works great. I was below zero this morning and started great.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout
Sorry, but that sounds like a crock of horse$#!t that they fed you about driving 20 mi. a day. I don't drive that in a day when I go back & forth to work (I work 7 mi. from home, total is 14 mi. round trip), and I've not had a problem with my car's battery. I've had it over a year, as well, and this problem never developed...Seems suspicious to me.
It depends what they were talking about. If the battery is dead, and cannot start the car, then it will require a deep cycle charge. This really only occurs in the correct way when you are driving above 30 mph for 20 min or more. Letting the car idle only puts a surface charge on the battery which dissapates faster and may not start the car multiple times.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead f%$#@ing battery

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.