Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead f%$#@ing battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:27 PM
gianf
2nd Gear Member

Default Dead f%$#@ing battery

I know there's been a thread about dead batteries on this forum before, because I read through it. After a two week stint, where my car didn't get started, I found the battery was completely dead. I jump started the car, got the battery charging, and then put a battery tender I used for my motorcycle on the battery, to get it up to full strength. The battery tender charged all night and the lights on it switched from red (charging) to green (charged) when I started the car the next morning. I left the tender on the car all the next day and, when I went to start the car last night, the battery was dead again (the green light on the battery tender was still on and didn't change back to red when I removed and replaced the alligator clips). Here are my questions: Do I need to get a different battery tender (this one is good for batteries that are rated up to 24 amp hours)? Is it possible the stock battery needs to be replaced and should this be covered by warranty?

Thanks guys.

Steve
Old 03-24-2006, 02:33 PM
RedFireChik
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Dead f%$#@ing battery

Yes. I had to take mine in last week. Except, mine never sits for more than 12 hours without being driven and my battery was dying. Call your dealer, they should switch it out for you.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:07 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

is it a case of faulty batteries that won't hold a charge or is it the charging system?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

I just got the car out of the body shop for a rearend collision. It was about $3000 in damage. Well the shop called and said the engine light was on. They wanted to send the car to the dealership but I told them I'll reinstall the tune to see if it clears. I got that done and then the check charging system came on. I got that cleared and drove the car home. After I got home the light came on again and then the battery was dead. I hooked the battery charger to it and got the car running again. After a few minutes the light came on again. I gave up because it was too dark to work on it. The next morning I go to check out everything & I found out that the dumba$$ from the bodyshop forgot to hook the cable from the alternator to the battery. The car was fine after that.
Old 03-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Lawman165
1st Gear Member

This topic seems to be coming up more and more. There has to be something in the electrical system that is staying on and pulling the battery down when the car is off. A battery should not be dead in only 2 weeks. Has anybody put a test light on the fuse box to see what circuit(s) are staying hot when the car is off?
Old 03-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I've heard its the shaker system pulling a draw, but cant confirm.
I have gotten out of my car, key and all, and there was still bass coming from the door subs. I was like wtf!! (yes I had opened the door and had the key out) So I put the key back in and cycle it once, took it out and everything was off this time. Wierd, and only happened once.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM
RedFireChik
1st Gear Member

I had my battery replaced last week and no problems since.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

We charged up our battery with a car type charger rather than the motorcycle battery tender and so far so good, hasn't died again. But then I am turning off the radio and we are driving the car a little more than letting it sit a week without moving. Don't know what is helping but so far it hasn't died again. If it dies again I am taking it to the dealer to have them look at it and possibly demand a new battery. This dead battery business with a new car not even a year old sucks!
Old 03-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

After a battery dies so many times it gets weaker, less likely to hold a charge. If this happens a few times I would demand a new battery. If not buy one yourself.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:49 AM
n25sh

Dead batteries seem to be very common and they're covered by the warranty, as is towing to the dealership to have the charging system checked before they replace the battery. With all the electronics in these cars, I will NOT drive one with a compromised electrical system. There are just too many ways for bad things to happen due to low voltage--high servo currents, bad sensor readings screwing with the computer, etc. After I got it back I checked the current draw with everything shut down, and it was only 18 mA ('05 V6 Premium, Skipper 500). At that rate it should take many months to drain the battery.

Quick Reply: Dead f%$#@ing battery