Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 'Break in Oil'

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question about 'Break in Oil'

Ford does use a synthetic blend as a break in oil, designed specificly to coat your internals before you go synthetic. Somewhere between 500 and 1000 miles, switch to a FULLY synthetic of your choice. (I use Mobil 1)
Old 03-31-2006, 03:44 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Just read Owners Manual ( this was bothering me .. lol ) it says under " normal driving" every 5,000 miles.. but as vicmeldrew pointed out .. the three month thing is a bunch of Bull Shliltz.. I have seen cars on the lot for over a year without a oil change .. do you think they sold that car and the first thing they did was bring it in and change the oil..?? I don't think so.. plus how long do you think the car sits at the plant before the dealer gets it..?? just some thoughts...

Rex
Old 03-31-2006, 09:14 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JT_Moore05

Ive got a 06GT and I just hit the 3000 mile mark. Ive heard stuff about letting your break in oil stay in longer?
All you wanted to know about oil but were afraid to ask....

www.bobistheoilguy.com

I changed mine at 3000mi with a FL-820S and Motorcraft 5W-20--both of which I got at Walmart.

Mike
Old 03-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

Is full synthetic really that beneficial for the engine? Is there any proof that the synthetic oil is better for the engine? I've always used Quaker State 5W-20 and have never had any problems. Everyone says that I should go to full synthetic, but why?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

Is full synthetic really that beneficial for the engine? Is there any proof that the synthetic oil is better for the engine? I've always used Quaker State 5W-20 and have never had any problems. Everyone says that I should go to full synthetic, but why?

As stated before, go to "BOBISTHEOILGUY" website. More oil info than you could ever digest.

To answer your question, the popular concensus would be that synthetics are a better oil IF you do extended drains and race the car. You will get, although, many opinions. But what is an extended drain for a particular motor - 3K, 5K, 10K 15K?? For a 5K drain interval, I believe if you use the Ford Oil (5W20), labelled as a "Synthetic Blend" (which is BS), you will have all the protection you need. If you race it, want to change the oil at longer intervals, maybe want alittle cleaner motor, then the higher cost of a REAL synthetic oil (Amsoil, Mobil, Redline) may make sense.

The 4.6 Ford motor is a very "mild" motor in terms of HP output and compression. It was designed and built that way to ensure a long motor life with average build materials and metallurgy, and to make it cheap to build. There is really nothing special about this motor - it could be happy in a police car or a truck with a different cam. If Ford wanted to (eg the market demanded it), for less than $500 bucks, the 4.6 V8 could put out easily 400 HP stock with just better materials and parts, better compression and a better cam. A 4-valve head with double overhead cams would also benefit this motor beyond belief.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Do what I do. Buy your oil in advance and then let them change it.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:53 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

Do what I do. Buy your oil in advance and then let them change it.
please don't tell me that you take an S281 to Jiffy lube.......
Old 04-03-2006, 07:16 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

The oil change is so simple that there is no reason not to do it yourself. Buy an oil pan that you can take your used oil for recycle. Cost is about $6. If you don't have a spot to do it yourself even the Jiffy-lube places sell and install Mobil 1 and the like. Just keep an eye on them. It is a very simple procedure. I'm living proof
Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

I always change the oil myself cause I like to fill up the filter with oil too, so the engine has oil from the instant it starts. I don't think the oil change places do that and I don't trust them anyways. I'll think about changing to synthetic oil though if it might be a little easier on the engine. I don't mind the extra cost.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

ok, well I read over all that and got about 15 different answers

So what should I go with if I plan on racing it?

Quick Reply: Question about 'Break in Oil'