MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Aftermarket racing seats (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/111494-aftermarket-racing-seats.html)

blk06v6 04-02-2006 01:34 PM

Aftermarket racing seats

Hello Im new to the forums and have a question about my new 06 mustang. I am loving this car so far! My first mod I want to do is swap out the VERY heavy OEM cloth seats for my black corbeau racing seats. I found the correct brackets for mounting them but I am wondering if anyone has replaced the seats and what is involved with the pass airbag wiring. I know the passenger seat has a weight sensor in it to turn the airbag on and off. I would just like to have it always on. I took out the driver seat to mount an amp and could not believe how heavy the OEM seats are. The new seats are like 1/4 of the weight. Anyway please help! Im not tearing into the airbag circuits untill I have more info. Any help appricated

blk06v6 04-02-2006 10:31 PM

RE: Aftermarket racing seats

Heres what im installing. I hate how new cars now have seats wired to airbags, is this really necessary? Im thinking about getting a little bit smaller more race inspired steering wheel anyway. Maybe ill just remove the airbags completly. If i do that I should probaby get 5point harness. But yes if anyone even knows a member here who has aftermarket seats please let me know so I can PM him.

\/ 27 Lbs. :)

[IMG]local://upfiles/29076/5709394A34D3493FB631DE666624D709.jpg[/IMG]

JD1969 04-02-2006 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: blk06v6

Heres what im installing. I hate how new cars now have seats wired to airbags, is this really necessary? Im thinking about getting a little bit smaller more race inspired steering wheel anyway. Maybe ill just remove the airbags completly. If i do that I should probaby get 5point harness. But yes if anyone even knows a member here who has aftermarket seats please let me know so I can PM him.

\/ 27 Lbs. :)

[IMG]local://upfiles/29076/5709394A34D3493FB631DE666624D709.jpg[/IMG]
It is unrealistic to think that you will wear a 5 point harness everyday. Trust me I have had many cars with them, and there is no way I would ever use them in a daily driver. When worn correctly your shoulders are pinned to the seat and you have no movement, this is great for racing but totally impractical in a daily driver or a car that you take long drives in. If your that worried about weight, look at other places like the hood, wheels etc. to save weight. Or just leave the stock steering wheel and air bag, and use the stock seat belt with your race seats. One other thing, technically a 5 point is not considered DOT legal, a cop can give you a ticket for one (pretty unlikley though)

doobs 04-02-2006 11:02 PM

My father has those exact seats in his 05 and the height is extremely low for the stock seat frame rails. It shouldnt be that big of a problem if your over 5' 7" though

2k5conv 04-02-2006 11:57 PM

Where did you get the brackets? I'm trying to figure out how to raise the passenger seat up a few inches since it's so low. Wonder if that's possible?

blk06v6 04-03-2006 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: doobs

My father has those exact seats in his 05 and the height is extremely low for the stock seat frame rails. It shouldnt be that big of a problem if your over 5' 7" though
Im Just over 6'. I have my stock seat as low as it will go right now and its perfect. I hate cars that sit you up all high and I cant stand when my face is closer than 3 feet to the steering wheel. I dont understand how people can drive and feel safe that close to the wheel. Anyway Im getting the brackets direct from Corbeau. They sit even lower than OEM which I like. If it were up to me I'd mount them right to the floor, ferrari style. But yeah I was always into weight reductions and the OEM seats are just too heavy and bland. They need to go. So doobs do you know what your dad did about the airbag wiring? I can disconnect the seats but then im pretty sure ill get an airbag light. I got that SRS light when I installed my carPC and didnt have the little "PASS AIRBAG OFF" light connected in the center. If you could find out how he did his install I wold really appricate the input. Ive searched but this is such a new car not many people have done this yet. I really want to retain the airbags and the normal seatbelts.

doobs 04-03-2006 12:33 AM

My dad acutally bought the car as is. Its the crazyhorse II that Boyd and Xmp did and never produced. The seats are pretty much on the floor btw. https://mustangforums.com/upfiles/16...8DA14C522A.jpg

Scroll down and you will see it about half way down the page and see a shot of the seats. Next time I get in the car ill see if they are the corbeau brackets which they probably are.

Edit: The seatbelts are currently stock and work fine.

Yooler05GT 04-03-2006 12:52 AM

yeah i love those seats but personally i cant find a good price for both driver and passenger including mounting brackets and harnesses, also i like sparco because of their work on the GT-R

blk06v6 04-03-2006 09:52 AM

They are worth the price, most comfortable auto seat ive ever sat in and it holds you in place so your not sliding around while trying to turn the steering wheel during spirited driving. I guess I will go talk to the techs at the dealer today, see if they can tell me anyting.

DStang05 04-04-2006 08:29 PM

I can't see driving in those seat everyday. I looked at some aftermarket seat as well. I my research I found that good replacement seats would have to come from Recaro seat if you want comfort and seat stability. The another manufactures are just to uncomfortable. Recaro designs the seats for Ford and Chevy.(Mustang and Corvetts.) and many more. Price is 1500 and up. big differents in price.