Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the community

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 AM
graywolf

Default New to the community

Well, I just bought an '06 GT convertible. The dealer just informed me that my car has been scheduled for a build date commencing 4/24. So at least I'm on the queue - expected delivery early to mid May. I've been reading these threads incessantly since plunking down my deposit about 3 weeks ago and I really appreciate all of the insights that you guys (and girls) provide here.

I'm 55 years old and this is what my lovely wife calls my "mid-life insanity" car. I haven't had a muscle car since I owned Buick GS (2x4bbl holleys, Edelbrock hi-rise manifold, forged internals, 12 bolt main bearing, 12.5:1 comp., an M22 rock crusher and an Isky street/strip cam) when I graduated high school in 1968. I loved that car. (Damn I'm fuggin old). Suffice it to say that I am excited about the Mustang. Thanks to you guys, I now have about 25 after market sites saved in my favorites. I can see how this can become a disease. The lovely Mrs. "Graywolf" will, I am sure, mitigate any tendencies I have to go ridiculously over the top with this car. When I broached the subject of a supercharger to her, for instance, she indicated that I can buy one so long as I plan to sleep with it, because I sure as hell won't be sleeping with her. Oh well, I guess I will be relegated to the world of NA bolt ons. So be it. But I digress.

The following is a list of the mods I plan right after break-in along with the (ahem) justification for their "absolute necessity" as I so passionately explained to the lovely and increasingly unpleasant Mrs. Graywolf. Your comments and suggestions are more than welcome, they are vital:

-one of the better CAIs and tubes such as C&L, JLT, Steeda or AirRaid or Tunable Induction, along with a custom SCTII tune. Mrs. Graywolf isn't amused by the prospect of feeding the beast with 91 or 93 octane fuel considering that Ford says 87 is OK. Negotiations are ongoing. I patiently explained that the less restrictive air flow as well as the precise tuning will yield lower fuel consumption as well as better performance. She immediately asked what I planned to do with the "perfectly good, brand new air box and tube" that I will so wastefully replace. Since discretion is the better part of valor, I refrained from giving her an obviously vulgar answer to such a loaded question.

-an axle-back exhaust system with a lower, throatier muscle car pitch than stock. Mrs. Graywolf explained that the stock system is already loud and any replacement mufflers had better not be louder than stock. Also, she added, any "drone" or "resonance" at cruising speeds would be unacceptable to her, especially since we plan many top down road trips. Again she asked what I planned to do with the new, stock mufflers. I WANTED to say that we can duct tape them to the side of her head in order to somewhat mitigate the assault on her oh-so-sensitive ears. I, instead, told her that I would sell them, because after all these years, I may be crazy, but I am not stupid.

I am thinking of either Magnaflows (not the magnapacks), Borlas (not the Stingers of course, damn it), or Corsas. Any input from you guys in this area would be appreciated. BTW, I will flame anyone suggesting SLP Loadmouths after having read about my spousal challenges. I'm looking for a low, mellow, muscle car rumble, not an exotic Bassani-like sound or a straight pipe raucus designed to have me burned in effigy here in my neighborhood, which I affectionately refer to as the "Land of the Volvos". Suggestions please.

-4.10 gears. Oh, this went over like a fart in church. "WHAT, she opined?! You need these WHY?! So you can go faster, you silly old bastard?! So the engine can rev higher at cruising speeds?! So I won't be able to hear the 500 watt sound system?! So that we can get crappier gas mileage?!" Yes, I replied, because if the car is loud enough, I won't be able to hear her over the din of the engine.

-Steeda UDPs. "Doesn't the car come with pulleys?" She so subtly asks. "Yes, it does, but THESE pulleys are special because they don't scavenge as much power from the engine as do the stock pulleys", I replied. "So all of those poor, unfortunate souls who fail to replace those nasty, power robbing, stock pulleys may as well be driving the car while dragging an anvil" she says snidely. "Yeah that about sums it up", I reply. She rolls her eyes and walks out of the room - but I think I'm softening her up because this time she didn't throw anything heavy at me this time.

-After market springs, struts and dampers to lower the car, providing a more connected feel to the road and eliminatie pitch and dive upon hard accelerating and braking. Reducing the "roller coaster" motions on the highway is also good. "So, the springs and shocks that come from the factory are basically suited to, oh maybe a Yugo then? Ford is charging us over 30K for a car that rides like a Yugo?!" She wasn't softened up. She's revved up now. "Honey, if we're going to have a performance car, I would like for it to perform with a certain amount of stability, control, and a feeling of connectedness that yes, Ford has failed to provide in the stock suspension. Just look at all these complaints on these threads about the stock suspension." Now she's steaming. "If every part of this damn car needs to be replaced as soon we buy it, why not just buy the engine and build a car around it?! Why do we need Ford?!!" "Well, love of my life...", trying to calm her down, "We need Ford for the engine, don't we?" She then shrieks, mumbles something about my sanity and leaves the room.

Now I face a dilemma. I really want a stable, controlled ride, but I can't do it at the expense of comfort. If THAT woman feels any additional harshness as a result of changes I have made to the car, there will be hell to pay. So, I need your help. Which spring, strut and damper combo would be best to accomplish my goal of controlling the ride while not creating a buckboard ride? I know I'm talking compromise here, but I'm desperate. From everything I've been reading the Eibachs are too stiff, but the Steedas aren't too bad as long as I avoid the competition springs. If I match either the Steeda Ultra lights or sport springs with Tokico D-spec struts and dampers dialed in to a not-so-firm setting, will this woman cease torturing me with her sarcasm and rapier wit? If not, I am open to suggestion. PLEASE HELP!

-Lower control arms, adjustable panhard rod and brace. "Honey, the car has 300 hp and a live rear axle. This means that wheel hop is a problem upon rapid acceleration from a dead stop. Also, we need a beefier, adjustable panhard bar because we have lowered the suspension (see above)," I explained. "Let's see" (here it comes) "My $13,000 Nissan Sentra has a fully independent suspension, but your $30,000 muscle car has a rear suspension that can't handle it's own power. That's rich. I guess they couldn't afford to give the car a proper rear suspension because so much money went into the outstanding air intake, tuning, exhaust system, gears, pulleys, springs, stuts and dampers - all of which you need to replace immediately. WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?!" "Nothing my love, now let's discuss the Pro 5.0 shifter I'll need if I am going to dust off every ricer I meet at a stop light."

I have an appointment with my doctor to have the glossy 2006 Mustang brochure removed from my left ear. My lovely and now thoroughly unpleasant Mrs. Graywolf also suggested that I ask the doctor if he would please remove my head from "where the sun don't shine."

Thanks for reading boys and girls. As you see, I need your help.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:37 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New to the community

Graywolf,

06 GT Convertible = $30,000.00

Immediate necessary mods = $4000.00

Your Post = PRICELESS....

From one old fart to another, I salute you.....I had parts of this same conversation Friday night....

Mike
Old 04-03-2006, 01:38 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Congrats, and you have an excellent list of mods to start with.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 AM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

Man, im so glad to be 31 and a new 06 owner AND still single!

Great mod list and very entertaining to read.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:32 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

I guess I am lucky, my wife before we even signed the papers for my car was talking to me about superchargers and nitrous for my '06. Oh and it was a birthday present, I've got a keeper.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:08 AM
graywolf

Mike,

Any suggestions on strut, damper and spring combos that won't upset the delicate Mrs. Graywolf's sensitive butt? Thanks, and glad you liked the post, one old fart to another. Appreciate yours or anyone else's suggestion

Frankie
Old 04-03-2006, 03:26 AM
GT350 Rider

You may want to log on to the Eibach site (eibach.com) and look at their Pro-System-Plus package that includes front/rear springs, shocks and sway bars that they claim do not sacrifice ride quality from stock.

I to am looking at ordering a Mustang, (probably an 07) for my fun car in mid life. Fortunately, other than a lot of eye rolling, my wife says buy anything you want as long as I use the money from my second job to purchase it!

You are thinking about the same mods that I plan on eventually installing.... sounds like fun to me....

Bill
Old 04-03-2006, 03:30 AM
graywolf

Thanks Bill, I'll check out the Eibach site. All the best with the '07.

Frankie
Old 04-03-2006, 04:04 AM
graywolf

Don't get me wrong - mine's a keeper as well. She just enjoys giving me a hard time. Truth be told, I enjoy giving it right back to her. Works for us, and has for many years. Couldn't imagine a road trip with the top down without her. Eventually, I'll get pretty much what I want, as long as I don't make the ride too noisy or uncomfortable for her. Hell at 55 years old, that applies to myself as well. I just want a powerful, good looking road car that feels connected without making my kidneys bleed - not too much to ask.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:30 AM
madmike
1st Gear Member

Excellent post Greywolf! "So at least I'm on the queue", have you lived in the UK?

Quick Reply: New to the community