Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up my GT on Friday! - Turbo or SC? Chassis Stiffening or No?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM
bpgreen20

Default Picked up my GT on Friday! - Turbo or SC? Chassis Stiffening or No?

Hello everybody. My name is Brian. I've been lurking around here for a month or so trying to soak up information. This is my first Mustang and the first car that I'm going to modify so I've got a ton to learn in a short period of time. I've alway thought the Mustangs from the 60's and early 70's were very cool. I admit I never though much of the subsequent versions, until 2005. I'm hoping that I can throw out a list of what I'm looking at and questions that I have and get some feedback from you guys with more experience than I have.

Suspension/Brakes/Chassis I haven't researched this much, but I have it in my head that I'd like to enroll in one of the local driving schools and maybe take the car to the track occasionally. In reality this will probably be primarily a street car, but I don't want my buddy with the 911 Carrera S to beat my brains in. With this in mind I'd like to make enough suspension and chassis improvements that I won't be able to blame my lack of driving skill on the car.

I've talked with two different local shops in the Seattle Tacoma area. The first shop recomends (sells) H&R coilovers and has suggested H&R front and rear sway bars, Ingalls Engineering rear traction kit, Stoptech front big brake kit and matching rear rotors, and a Steeda tri Ax Shifter. I asked about other chassis stiffening add ons that I've read about. They said they would add them if I wanted them too, but that they probably weren't necessary. I have a hard time knowing how to respond to this because the only personal experience I have is through reading these forums and looking around on the internet.

The second shop seems to be more appearance oriented than the first shop which appears to be more performance oriented. They propose KW coilovers, Wilwood brakes, and no other suspension/chassis modifications, they will also add other components, but it's almost like they are humoring me when I ask them about it. So far I prefer the second shop because they are more of a one stop shop.

A third option I am looking at for a suspension system is the Tein suspension system with the computer controlled dampening adjustment (EDFC). This just seems cool.

I'm inclided to have whoever does the modifications for me add the sway bars, strut tower braces, etc. just because I'd rather do everything at once.

How much is experience a factor in the suspension work? I get the impression that the first shop has more performance related experience.

Forced Induction: The first shop proposes a Saleen SC, 11.5 psi pulley, long tube headers, x-pipe with cats, 39 lb fuel injectors, sct xcalibrator. The second shop proposes the Granatelli turbo kit installed by the guy who designed it for Granatelli. The turbo guy says that his kit can take the car up to 850 rwhp with forged internals, etc. and that no modifications to the headers or the intake manifold are necessary. The kit comes with the high flow cats and the Cervini side exhaust kit takes care of everything behind that. (I hope I'm quoting him accuraely, I may not be) I'm leaning towards the turbo, but I'm interested to hear what anyone might have to say on the subject.

Wheels/Tires: I'm planning on 20" rims. I know, that appears to be blasphemy to some of you, but I like them.

Body Kit/Paint: My GT is Tungsten Gray. Not being a creative type guy I'm thinking about doing the Cervini's kit with the black stripes with the exception of the hood. I like the DreamCarFactory hood. My biggest concern here is ground clearance. I've heard from a guy on the forum that if you lower the car much with the Cervinis kit that you can't even get it onto a lift.

Enough rambling for now. I appreciate any feedback that you guys can provide. Please feel free to suggest that I go in a completely different direction if you think I've been led down the primrose path.

Thanks
Brian

Old 04-03-2006, 06:01 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Picked up my GT on Friday! - Turbo or SC? Chassis Stiffening or No?

Take your time and do it right, there is no rush, you r young so u have plenty of time, All 05 parts are over priced
and new more proven stuff is around the corner, take your time, and for all the stuff you want be prepared to spend lots of mooolah..
all your MOds sound great, have fun..
Old 04-03-2006, 06:09 PM
bpgreen20

The fun I can do. The taking my time I'm not so good at.

Just curious, how did I give it away that I was young?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:47 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

If you are going to run the closed track I suggest you go out stock first and get the feel for what you think you need unless you have wads of cash hanging around. If you want to do anything, definately go with racing tires as others suggested to me...definately worth it.
As for the power...the only car I had trouble with when I ran stock was a Lotus Elise ... and it was all due to the turns...straights were a different story.

With just a CAI and a tune from brenspeed, this last time out I had enough power to pass anyone out there (including the Lotus) and the suspension upgrades made the car a lot of fun to drive and helped me recover from mistakes.
So my 2cents is skip the power add until you are pushing the car to its limit.

The stock brakes are not the greatest but unless you boost the power they should do the trick....just replace the pads - I am also looking at adding some ducting this weekend for next go.

I had researched my suspension upgrades and pretty much knew what I wanted, and this was confirmed by 2 expert sources ... first a pro driver who runs a racer '05 and the other was the guys at the shop at the track who have tons of experience with Mustangs and every other type of car....there are definately other options but I am totally happy with my upgrades.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:21 AM
hubcity
1st Gear Member

I have the same car in an automatic. Saleen charger, injectors, CIA, MAF, springs. I have the 8lb pulley at this time. I'm going to the 12 lb as soon as the dual in tank pumps gets here from ford. The car should run 11.30's @ 125 on drag radials. fastest so far on stock tires is 12.14 @ 112
Old 04-04-2006, 03:28 PM
silverspur

With the saleen supercharger do you have to get a different hood or did you use your stock hood?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 PM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: silverspur

With the saleen supercharger do you have to get a different hood or did you use your stock hood?
I'm 99% sure the Saleen supercharger will fit under your stock hood. A lot of folks around LA seem to be getting them. I think they were running special at one of the dealerships. I have a Roush and no hood mods were nessasary.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:17 AM
hubcity
1st Gear Member

Stock hood works fine