Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More XM nonsense

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:06 AM
sngsam
1st Gear Member

Default More XM nonsense

I just found out that my favorite talk show host Glenn Beck is on XM. Now I NEEEEEEED XM. But I don't really want a new Head Unit. I also want to minimize the visual impact of the antenna on my Stang. I think I want to hardwire it into the head unit. So I need an adapter from Ford Right? and I want it to get its power from the car's electrical system not cigarette lighter. any and all opinions/ideas appreciated.

Straight Flushes

SAM

edited: not my favorite talk show hose my favorite HOST!
Old 04-04-2006, 01:20 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: More XM nonsense

Check out xmradiostore. They have everything for XM there. The antennas are really small now...maybe 1"x1", not like when they first came out with those obnoxious shark fins. There are tons of options for clean looking installs. I highly recommend XM. Once you have it, you'll NEVER want to listen to regular radio again.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:20 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Sngsam,
Here are some photos of my install;

Here is the receiver when I know I'm not channel surfing, becuase I usually stick on XM46.

Here is the receiver on the rare occasion I do channel surf.

Here is the antenna mount.

Now, the only difference is that it is NOT hardwired, but for me, no big deal. Just use the Power Plug inside the center console. All the wiring for the FM Modulater is under the cupholder / shifter console.

Best of Luck,
Mike
Old 04-04-2006, 02:35 AM
MustangChica2001

Glenn Beck is on XM now!? Awesome, I was thinking about having my parents add me to their plan and split the bill with em.... but like you I want to find out where all the knick-knacks go because I do not want to switch out the radio deck.

Old 04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

I mounted my XM directly to the face plate of the radio - used heavy duty velcro on both sides of the CD slot and ran the wires into the console. I added another power outlet inside the console under the cup holders which is tapped into the one which is already there (inside the cover). I rarely change CD's and this way I can change the XM channels easily.

[IMG]local://upfiles/22635/353C3A3AAB9B461AB2A38053177753E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22635/C4DE3B1401124B50AACDDE2A1947BD16.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:34 PM
sngsam
1st Gear Member

Mike:

I sent you a PM but I have yet one more question. How is the unit affixed to the lid of the console? In texas it gets VERY hot in our cars and double stick tape/velcro tape etc. tends to melt off. How is the reception with your antenna located where it is?

Rick/sngsam
Old 04-05-2006, 02:41 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Rick,
I sent you a lengthy e mail response about two hours ago.....I don't check E Mail too much.

The unit is actually affixed with a couple of screws, along with sticky tape. The mounting bracket is actually kind of a pivot point, with screw holes below it. I can get you photos. As I noted in my E Mail back to you, be VERY VERY careful about the screw length, as you don't want to go through the lid.....very uncomfortable on your arm

Reception is great, even with tinted window. I had read people were having problems with the tint, but none here....

Check your return E Mail, and answer the one question I didn't understand. I will get you all the photos you need, no problem.....

Take Care,
Mike