Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what comes 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 PM
kazmtj22
1st Gear Member

Default what comes 1st?

For the people that ordered a mustang or anyone that knows...what comes 1st the VIN or the build date...and is a serial number the same as the VIN? My dealer called me and told me that my car has serial number....i hope that means it is comming soon. i really need a new mustang to go with the set of MAC mufflers sitting in my basement.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26972/86F80D9CD92A46C69D980AE3053E9490.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-05-2006, 08:28 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: what comes 1st?

yeah, the VIN is the vehicle identification number, or serial number, if you prefer, but the serial number is only part of the VIN.

A VIN is different than a build date, it just means that Ford has your order and has assigned the VIN to a chassis (whether that chassis exists yet or is just in their system is anyone's guess).

Anyway, the build date is different. I doubt they have started on it yet but I could be wrong.

Aw geez, I was no help at all was I? [8D]
Old 04-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

Anxiety is the first thing your going to get!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:44 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Martin123

Anxiety is the first thing your going to get!
yeah... relax... drink a beer... [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 04-05-2006, 10:43 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

If this was last year, I would say to go buy yourself a few cases and drink until you fall down. Then get up and do it again several more times. But since all that is over, you should have your car I would say within about 6 weeks. When your is accepted by the odering center, they assign it a serial number number. Your dealer might have said that your car has been serialized. Now this is where they check your order against the in stock parts list. They usually call these comodities. When they know that they will have everything they need to build the car, they give you a build date. This date is usually the first work day of the week. You car should be built during that week. It could be on a Monday or it could be on a Friday. Once the car is done built, they will give you a ship date. It could take a week or 10 days to get the car to the dealer once it ships. Somce cars ship the day they are built and some wait a week or so. They try to have full shipments to area where the car is destined. My car sat at the dispersment center (where all the cars in your area sorted out) for a week.

Congrats though on your order.....you will love this car.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:58 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

The VIN comes first. The VIN is used to order parts against to build the car. Actually, the order number is first. I followed this process quite closely when I ordered my Mustang. Well, not right away but when the dealer gave me the typical line of 7-8 weeks and then it kept getting extended, I looked very close. There is a Ford web site called Blue Oval Forums with a guy named Kazinti (sp?) that looks up the information for people once they have a VIN. There is a post on there that has an automated phone number you can call that dealers use to check the status of a vehicle. It uses voice recognition and asks you about 5 questions then tells you the status. I kept hearing, "Your order is clean and unscheduled". That was 3 months after the order and 1 month after the expected delivery. From all the other posts I saw there, it looked like the typical delivery was around 2 months after the VIN was assigned. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll try to dig it up for you. You can get all of the information from the dealer necessary to check the status on the phone line from the dealer. Ask him to print the order status for you. It will show things like the order number, priority, dealer code and body style. -Joe