Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Bar Install for Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:38 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Roll Bar Install for Convertible

ORIGINAL: GhostPony

Getting ready for the dragstrip now that the local strip has opened last Saturday.
My polished Kenne Bell blower is was shipped yesterday.
Yes, finally Kenne Bell has finished all the tunes for the 2006 Mustangs.
I am installing rollbar and Granatelii safety loops in preperation.

Are there any convertible owners out there that have done the 4-point rollbar from I/O Port Racing?
I have just ordered this item and was curious if:
1) floorpan needs to be drilled?
2) Any welding required?
3)Does the carpet need to be cut?
4) Do the rear interior panels need any cutting?

If you have any of these answers that would be helpful. Otherwise I will be posting pics when the installation is completed.
You will also need to mount the bar to 6x6x1/4 inch steel plates top and bottom with minimum 3/8's bolts if you are doing a bolt in kit.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Great information guys. Thanks! I am looking for a bolt-in design.
Here is what I have found out. NHRA and SCCA have different requirements. NHRA requires beefier (132) tubing, mounting etc.
Maximum Motorsports had a NHRA drag rollcage (6 point ) at SEMA. They are working on a production of it. Not done yet, talked to them today.
AutoPower makes one that is 4 or 6 points that is SCCA legal (120 tubing).
I am ordering that rollbar. I have talked to AutoWeld Chassis. They make an accesory side arm in 132 tubing. They have a pin kit for $40.00
I am going to use the 6 x 6 1/4" steel and 1/2" bolts. Performance shop two blocks away from me. I am having them cut/weld the sidebar kit.
There is five points! I will paint black enamel on the sidebar kit to match. I will add the SFI padding to all upper surfaces and have those surfaces uphostered in black vinyl to match at the local upholstery shop. I estimate my cost at about 700.00 installed.
I examined the Autopower cage (online) and it appears that it will not require pulling the front seats. I think you only need to pull the back seats and roll up the carpet to the back of the front seats. Mounting points are right behind the furthest rearward position of driver/passenger seat and then angles back and mounts on the side in the convertible well area.
There are openings about 6 inches diameter in the vinyl well liner, and the rear bars go through these holes in the vinyl wells and then mount on the bottom of the well.
The primary wiring harness to the rear lights/speakers runs along the passenegr side of the well, and may require some moving to accomodate the rear mounts. Those rear mount bolts for the rollbar would be accessed from the trunk pretty easily.
Four weeks to have the cage made. I will post results pictures of the entire process when I do it.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:28 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Oh yes and I hope to you see you guys up at GLD this summer! I have not raced any cars up there since 1979. I am going to go there this weekend and get times on my vert stock.
Then the KB kit goes in late next week! So I will have a comparison of my times before and after.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:39 PM
05 Cayuse
2nd Gear Member

I applaud your efforts! As a fellow vert owner I've been frustrated by the whole roll bar issue. Too few choices, and less effort in cosmetics. I guess very few vert owners have an interest in motors sports, so interest seems little. I talked back and forth with CDC about making a "performance" version of their light bar, but they didn't think the demand is there. Probably not. I need a less intense 4 point roll to participate in "open track" events. I am modifing the CDC "B" pillar brackets from their light bar kit, to make a 4 point sport bar that I can swap with the light bar for open track days. It will mean removing the rear seats each time to bolt in the rear bar plates. I am using solid steel stingers on the hoop to telescope into the CDC brackets. Who knows, after it's powdercoated I might leave it in all the time. I'm working with a local welder on the fab job. I'll post pics in a couple of weeks. Good luck to both of us.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Ghost, I don't think they(NHRA) will actually check the wall thickness on the tubing. They pretty much only do that on cars that need to be certified (9.99 and faster). They never checked my 72 Nova and that was a back half car with a 10 point cage.