Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRPP Borla Exhaust Rattle

Old 04-11-2006, 04:24 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: FRPP Borla Exhaust Rattle

When I installed mine, I had a similar rattle only when starting out. It was very annoying. It turns out the tips were touching the rear facia where I couldn't see. I couldn't figure it out because it was very metallic sounding. thought for sure it was rubbing the frame somewhere. Pulled the tips down a bit at the muffler shop, and it's all good now.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:32 AM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

check the clamps holding the mufflers on....sometimes they loosen up and the muffler will start sliding off the midpipe....thats what happened to my borlas...once.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:45 PM
dcranford
1st Gear Member

I went out and started shaking the mufflers from underneath and found that it seems to hit the top of the rear fascia if I push it hard enough up. It then makes a metallic sound. I guess im wondering how much space is there supposed to be between the muffler and the fascia? Also how do you correct the issues then?

Old 04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
dcranford
1st Gear Member

anybody?

Old 04-13-2006, 01:37 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Did you read my post?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:26 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Had the same problem with my Borla Cat-Backs. First time the hanger was loose, my bad! Then the second time was the tips hitting the rear fascia like said earlier by 2006GT. I can almost guarantee that is your problem.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Bustercloud

I noticed the same problem on my 1993 stang. So I got out this morning and squeezed under my car thats like 3 inches off the ground. Started touching things and pushing lightly. Noticed my muffle/whole exhaust system is on these swivels so it can move slightly(I assume its a safety system incase something hits it, so the whole thing can swing sideways/back to avoid being crushed).

Well, the natural resting point of it puts part of it(I don't know parts names, it'd be cool if someone gave me a diagram with names) slightly tabs another part of the car. Just need to figure out a way in time to fix it. I'm just glad its not something else. Before i thought I had knocked something loose..like ya know..my gas tank. Though there is a piece underneath bent from where the swiveling exhaust system didn't get out of the way fast enough.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:39 PM
gtrips01
I ♥ Acer

exhaust is going to be my first mod. Should I stay away from these? They were my first choice - Borla Stingers. I would have them put in by Midas - sounds like the dealer did not do a good job.... Any comments? Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

I had this problem with my Borla stingers. Nothing was touching. In my case, I found that the resonation from the mufflers at idle was causing the vibration. Placing several blankets under the trunk carpeting has eliminated the problem for me.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:47 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Also, you can bend the tips away from the rear panel by pushing down on them to give better clearance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRPP Borla Exhaust Rattle