Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
V8 Aggie
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....

I have noticed that the tune fades. It is kinda weird but no big deal. I just take the 5 minutes to re-tune it and go on about my day.

I wonder why it does that though.
/scratch head
Old 04-11-2006, 06:30 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

The tune does "fade".

The computer is designed to adjust itself over time to your driving habits. If you use your car for a daily driver, it will detune with time as you do your routine driving, readjusting itself for optimum performance WITH efficiency based on your driving habits. (Power Tunes disregard efficiency!)

if you get on it a LOT - the power tune will stick longer... if you simply drive it in "get where I am going" mode most of the time, it will detune.

Reflashing your tune will reset - -, also - disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds will also reset the "self adjusting" parameters the system use, forcing it to relearn or readjust those settings. (Drive it hard after power reset! to teach the car to use a power tune!)

Fading tune is a "gimmie" you just have to deal with for having a "Smart: car.
^^...Ill buy that.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
FREAKO
2nd Gear Member

re-flash at every oil change......
Old 04-11-2006, 08:52 PM
JJ_Stang
2nd Gear Member

I reflash every second fill up. usually every 2 weeks.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Man, thanks a lot guys.

I forgot that the car is uuhhh smart. Its a good thing, so I'm not going to complain, yeah Ford did it right.

Hey, PW,

I knew if you jumped in here we would get the straight scoop. Thanks man!

Okay, so the way I see it is, (1) disconnect the battery for a while (10sec.) and the computer will revert back to the flashed tune. Or, reflash the computer with your tune and your back in business. Way Cool!

On poster mentioned to reflash at every oil change. (or disconnect the battery).....works for me.

Greg and I missed you at D&B's for lunch. I wanted to see Red up close, looks cool in the pictures. Maybe some other time.

Thanks again guys
Old 04-12-2006, 12:29 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

What about the whole trick 2 take care of throttle lag issues? doesnt that reset the chip as well? that seems 2 be the easiest way. Turn the car 2 the acc position, let all the warning lights turn off, steadily push down the gas all the way (should take about 2 secs) and ease back up at same pace, shut off for 5 sec and then turn it on fully. That seems 2 work 4 me, if u guys wanted 2 try it out. Easier then retuning ur car
Old 04-12-2006, 01:50 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scaught

Wow, this sounds alot like Terminator 2, "I am a learning computer". Say it with a thick Austrian accent and you will sound just like the Govenor of California. That would be a bad *** mod...

Every time you drive you car it says to you(With Arnolds voice),

"My CPU is a neural-net processor... a learning computer. But Skynet presets the switch to "read-only" when we are sent out alone. Drive me like hell or Reflash for optimum preformance."
Now that s**t was funny[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 04-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Of course you all can feel free to re-flash your cars every so often if it makes you feel better, but you could accomplish the same thing just by doing the battery disconnect trick. Personally, I think you just need to get into the throttle a bit more often so the computer optimizes for a more aggressive driving style. I sure don't notice any "tune fade" on my 4-valve 4.6 and I romp on it everywhere I go.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

Of course you all can feel free to re-flash your cars every so often if it makes you feel better, but you could accomplish the same thing just by doing the battery disconnect trick. Personally, I think you just need to get into the throttle a bit more often so the computer optimizes for a more aggressive driving style. I sure don't notice any "tune fade" on my 4-valve 4.6 and I romp on it everywhere I go.
The 4v's don't have the wonderful Spanish Oak ECU do they? That might be a reason why.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:13 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

If my car talked... it would be saying... GO FASTER... FASTER... F A S T E R !!!!!!

I sort of accidently got a 3 gear scratch the other day.. playing on a side road... came as a surpise to me with an automatic.. god I love this car!

I carry my Preditor around with me always... now and then I load up the extream tune... play for a while and put it back to the "standard" Agressive tune! for my daily driving!... God I love this car!.. oh yea.. I already said that!... he he

Quick Reply: Tune fades after time, fact or fiction....