Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering noise ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: power steering noise ???

I've got it too. I'll stay tuned here to learn more and to sign on to anything we can do to have Ford resolve the issue, if that could be possible.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

I've heard it too but it sounds like the traction control issue that has already been addressed in a tsb. It deceiveing because in the car it sounds like it's coming from the front. have someone stand outside and listen for where the sound comes from while you make low speed donuts. Maybe there are two seperate issues here but it's worth checking out. And it's not the clutch pack for a standard tranny...atleast I don't think so. There is a "clutch pack" in the rear for the traction control/LSD. How do you think the traction control allows one tire to spin at different speeds then the other....much like when turning slowly. just a thought...I could be way off but this makes sense to me...
Old 06-11-2006, 01:56 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

What you are saying makes sense. I "sounds" like power steering pump but doesn't act like it. It could be coming from the front, but who knows without someone listening outside like you suggest. I'm gonna take a technician with me on Monday. We are gonna drive all across Texas if we have too to figure this out. Sometimes you have to eliminate one thing at a time, but at least one part of this Mustang is going to be a former part on Tuesday.

I will keep all posted on this one, and I am taking the posts we have so far with me.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:36 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I took it for another spin today. and I am beginning to believe it is from the rear end. I think it's gotta be driven over 50 mph for a few minutes (maybe for the rear end oil to get hot), then make slow turns. That's why it is so hard for a dealership to replicate. There must be some sort of clutch mechanism in the rear end to rotate the wheels at the same speed during turns, so if anyone is familiar with a TSB on this issue (Airborneflyguy), please let me know.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Airborneflyguy
2nd Gear Member

04-24-20
LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

The fix is to replace the rear diff clutch pack

also maybe...

05-7-3
AXLE WHINE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 11/15/2004
Old 06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

I believe the updated TSB 04-24-20 on this rear end noise is 05-21-2 (maybe to include the 2006 model). I found it this morning. I'm convinced this is it, because it seems that everyone that has had their power steering pump replaced still has the problem, but everyone getting this done is satisfied.

With any luck, I can get the 3.73's installed too without the labor cost.

Thanks for the help and I will keep everyone posted.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:40 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

The dealership called me this morning and they were able to relicate the sound and are replacing the clutch pack per TSB 05-21-2, but it will take 3 or 4 days to order the part. I had to point that TSB out to them, so thanks again everyone for the help.

I will keep you posted.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM
M
2nd Gear Member

well im glad you got it fixed, told you that you would have to point it out to the dealership. everyonce in a while you run in to a dealership that really likes to provide customer service but usually you have to do the work.

i think they try two fixes for this problem...one is that they just add more fluid to see if that works, if not then they replace it

its nothing that will do any damage just annoying noise

let us know how they work with you
Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 PM
worth

Great!

Can you let us know here whether the symptoms go away when you get the TSB done?

Don
Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

The first time they flushed the power steering fluid without being able to replicate the noise, so this time they knew it was not that. I will let everyone know the outcome.

Concerning the 3.73 gear change, they offered only Motives without a warranty if I wanted that change. I asked them if they could order FRPP's because I have heard that the Motives whine too much. They also were not sure if they had the software for the speedometer change. I'm wodering if they can lay this over the Roush tune on the PCM without screwing that up.

I think I'm gonna push a little harder on this tomorrow since the clutch pack will not be in for 3 or 4 days. You would think they could put the Ford gear in with a warranty and work with Roush on the tuning since they are a Roush dealership.

Comments?

Quick Reply: power steering noise ???