Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious transmission for the hardcore...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 10:11 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default Serious transmission for the hardcore...

Adam, Don, and myself will be doing the R&D for Art Carr and mine will be the first to go in the end of next week. This awesome trans set-up will be a four speed automatic with built in tuner and trans brake. An easy to use tuner package will come with it to allow you to make adjustments on the fly. The transmission will be available for the public by the end of next month.

This serious trans comes with a serious garuntee - 100% warranty for up to 1200 HP!

How much?? The complete kit will retail for around $3,600.00 - Definitely not a good buy for the daily driver but this will be hands down the best for race application. My engine is coming out next thusday and the build will be begin. I am very excited and will keep posting on the build process. My nitrous whiffing supercar to come is going to LOVE this trans...

On a side note - can't give anything away right now, but expect BIG things from ST Motorsports on a company level in the very near future.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:08 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Serious transmission for the hardcore...

chevykiller, you are probably seriosuly the only person who will need a tranny that can take up to 1200hp

...haha i am just messing with you, definitly cool, i hope you like it!

ps. how much have you put into your car so far?
Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: chrisc

chevykiller, you are probably seriosuly the only person who will need a tranny that can take up to 1200hp

...haha i am just messing with you, definitly cool, i hope you like it!

ps. how much have you put into your car so far?
I'm going nowhere near 1200 hp but I think it's an awesome warranty and that's why I mentioned it. No other trans gives a garuntee for anything. They just give a 'rating'. Art Carr is saying if his trans breaks for any reason with 1200 HP or less, they will replace it for free. Pretty impressive IMO.

How much in my car? I will never tell....
Old 04-13-2006, 12:39 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I assume you are actually getting a modified AOD since you said yours will be a four speed, correct? I was thinking that Don sent his 5R55S to Art over a month ago and it was going to be the first 05 tranny he had done. So is Don getting a different tranny now also?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:55 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I assume you are actually getting a modified AOD since you said yours will be a four speed, correct? I was thinking that Don sent his 5R55S to Art over a month ago and it was going to be the first 05 tranny he had done. So is Don getting a different tranny now also?
YES and Don is a little farther behind in his engine build than I am. He actually was supposed to have the first one but his build is still a couple weeks out and mine is starting next week. Both of our engines are at doogans getting balanced and mine was just finished first.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Spoke with Don this afternoon ( catching up on his Vegas adventure ) and he said he wasn't getting the AOD that in fact he had his 5R55S rebuilt. It was done ( except for the torque converter ). Was curious when it was going to start going back together but he said his motor wasn't even at Doogans yet because he was still waiting on the JE Custom pistons to arrive. So he still has a ways to go yet I guess. I'm surprised he isn't taking his rent car to the Q on weekends just to get his fix!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Spoke with Don this afternoon ( catching up on his Vegas adventure ) and he said he wasn't getting the AOD that in fact he had his 5R55S rebuilt. It was done ( except for the torque converter ). Was curious when it was going to start going back together but he said his motor wasn't even at Doogans yet because he was still waiting on the JE Custom pistons to arrive. So he still has a ways to go yet I guess. I'm surprised he isn't taking his rent car to the Q on weekends just to get his fix!
Somewhere something is very wrong. Cause I know for a fact don's tescid block has been at doogans for the last three weeks. I was also sure he was getting the same probe pistons as me cause the JE's are $600 more and all you're getting is a better ceramic coating for your money. I was at the shop on tuesday and adam said don needed to pay for the trans so maybe he ended up changing his mind and I got his??? Don't know. But I do know his motor is sitting at doogans waiting for the pistons to finish balancing. Maybe he changed his mind about the Probes too??? I don't know that either. I do know doogans is VERY backed up (adam alone has 9 engines there now) and if he doesn't have his pistons there yet, he is probably looking at 4-6 weeks lead time before they'll get to it. He may be in that rental for a while... (at least it's a stang)
Old 04-14-2006, 12:04 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

mark i figured at this point you just would have gone for a glide or a C4. heck it's not like you are worried about fuel mileage with the overdrive and those combos are proven reliable beyond 1000hp. we usually get 2-3 seasons from a glide between refreshening. i know Tom and the guys at PA have done wonders with C4's. we were breaking 1 a week back in the early 90's(hence our switch to the glides) now guys are running them behind 800hp+ for a full season with no problems. i'm interested to see how don's 5spd holds up behind that s/c. i do have one question for you about art carr: do you know if he has figured out a way to reduce the flare in the 3-4 shift yet? we have adjusted and readjusted on mine and i still have a slight flare in that shift. i'm thinking it's due to the fact that it has a sychronizer there and none for the other gear changes.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:33 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

mark i figured at this point you just would have gone for a glide or a C4. heck it's not like you are worried about fuel mileage with the overdrive and those combos are proven reliable beyond 1000hp. we usually get 2-3 seasons from a glide between refreshening. i know Tom and the guys at PA have done wonders with C4's. we were breaking 1 a week back in the early 90's(hence our switch to the glides) now guys are running them behind 800hp+ for a full season with no problems. i'm interested to see how don's 5spd holds up behind that s/c. i do have one question for you about art carr: do you know if he has figured out a way to reduce the flare in the 3-4 shift yet? we have adjusted and readjusted on mine and i still have a slight flare in that shift. i'm thinking it's due to the fact that it has a sychronizer there and none for the other gear changes.
I think you answered your own question on that one. Art is just now tackling these things but he is definitely deep in the research with don's. I would just give him a call - he's in your time zone... He is usually good about answering stuff fairly quickly and I've noticed if he doesn't know something, it makes him want to go and find out.

I definitely like the C4 but although I can't tell you what I paid for art's new trans, let's just say it was an offer I couldn't pass up. This trans has no stall at all so I won't be getting any better fuel mileage anyway but like I said, I got an offer I couldn't refuse and this is going to work GREAT for me. (especially my nitrous - I'll actually be able to squeeze right off the line)

I'm VERY close to being done now so I will soon be sharing some great info throughout and after the build.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:43 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

when you say no stall you just mean it's a very tight converter? i would think with your torque level you wouldn't need more than 3000-3500 anyway.i'll call friday to bug him a little. i can totally understand why you went that route if he is willing to trade off r&d for less$$$. i would too. i almost bought a 5spd manual and stripped it out for a lentech 4r70w then i just took a chance and said i'll stick it out for that extra gear. i'm changing gears this week. up to 4.30's so i can use all 4 gears now+ the converter lockup. i figure it probably worth a tenth in my car over the 3.73's.

Quick Reply: Serious transmission for the hardcore...