MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Are the new edge mustangs our friends or foes? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/115736-are-the-new-edge-mustangs-our-friends-or-foes.html)

UrS4 04-12-2006 10:23 PM

Are the new edge mustangs our friends or foes?

I have only had my Mustang GT for about a week and a half. I am very busy with med school classes and studying but I try to take the new car out for a spin once and a while. I have gotten the thumbs up, waves, and the usuall "light 'em up". These have all come from people driving non-mustangs. I have come across 4 99-04 GTs all modified with exhaust+ from the sound of things but no acknowledgements, no mustang comrodary. Half of them just rode my ass and passed me for no reason. None have challenged me but it wouldn't matter, I still have the dealer temps and the LAF sticker in the rear window and I wouldn't race, I am still trying to get good at driving a NA rear wheel drive car.

Have you guys in the 05-06 mustangs been getting the same treatment? I give them the wave, thumbs up and head nod, but nothing in return. I know when the new GT came out there was all the talk about it equalling the Mach 1 and maybe all the 99-04 GT feel they have something to prove.

What gives? [sm=smiley25.gif]

W1ldcat 04-12-2006 10:28 PM

RE: Are the new edge mustangs our friends or foes?

I have like Mustangs and wanted one since the late 60's. When these new ones came I had to have one of them. If I would have bought a 99 to 04 I probably would be snooty twards them with jelousy or would have traded in.

ThisBlood147 04-12-2006 10:34 PM

Most of them are gonna be as cool as any other mustang ppl. But there are a few of them suffering from displacement syndrome: in other words, being replaced by a newer model and no longer being the hottest thing going. I went thru the exact same thing right after I bought my 98 mustang. A few months later, the redesigned 99's came out and I HATED them with a passion. This went on for another 2 or 3 years before they finally grew on me and I got over it.
Of course, it's a matter of personal taste also. Some New Edge ppl genuinely dislike the direction Ford went with the new mustangs. They are entitled to their opinions of course. But some of them (and a few around this forum) never miss an opportunity to stick it to us 05/06 owners about how much they despise our cars or how ugly they think our cars are......well, whatever.[8D]
But on the roads, I've yet to have any problems from any other mustang models. In fact, the only problems I have with ppl messin with me on the roads come from ppl driving cars that aren't even supposed to be performance rides. lol

Lone_Star_Stang 04-12-2006 10:53 PM

No joke. I try to take it easy in town and I don't know how many yahoo's in Ram quadcab pickups, minivans and toyota corollas put the hammer to the floor if I happen to be next to them.

My favorite are the Pontiac G6's. Had one a couple days ago with some teenagers in it, music blaring and whatnot. I coast off the light, shift at like 2250 to about 55 ending up in fourth gear and they must be gunning it with the guys in the back seat bouncing up and down and whatnot like he thought I was racing ( I guess my exhaust is quite loud? ) . Dropped it into 2nd and merged onto the onramp.
Was quite sad.

LEJAY 04-12-2006 10:56 PM

Just be cool, and understand, (like others are saying) it's jealousy. Can you blame them ????? You have "the most powerful stock 'Stang ever produced"
Still waiting on my mine.

LesteR723 04-12-2006 10:57 PM

exact same reaction...
do you live in MD by chance? your car looks familiar

Bingo 04-12-2006 11:00 PM

I got a wave a few months back from a lady in an '05 convertable...didn't recriprocate, though, because by the time I realized it, I was past her. :(

I was filling up a few weeks ago and a guy in a SN95 GT looked at me, went by, downshifted, and revved. Sounded like he had headers and the whole shebang. Anyway, I think it was an appreciative acknowledgement. Most people I see in GTs know what I'm driving and appreciate it. Those who drive the V6s just don't know, it seems. *shrugs*

EJD05GT 04-12-2006 11:04 PM

We have the hottest car in America, in my opinion. Even when I see it - which is seldom, I'm stunned.
-E

ORIGINAL: UrS4

I have only had my Mustang GT for about a week and a half. I am very busy with med school classes and studying but I try to take the new car out for a spin once and a while. I have gotten the thumbs up, waves, and the usuall "light 'em up". These have all come from people driving non-mustangs. I have come across 4 99-04 GTs all modified with exhaust+ from the sound of things but no acknowledgements, no mustang comrodary. Half of them just rode my ass and passed me for no reason. None have challenged me but it wouldn't matter, I still have the dealer temps and the LAF sticker in the rear window and I wouldn't race, I am still trying to get good at driving a NA rear wheel drive car.

Have you guys in the 05-06 mustangs been getting the same treatment? I give them the wave, thumbs up and head nod, but nothing in return. I know when the new GT came out there was all the talk about it equalling the Mach 1 and maybe all the 99-04 GT feel they have something to prove.

What gives? [sm=smiley25.gif]

sicko6 04-12-2006 11:14 PM

There must be an infinite number of variables that decide friend/foe factor..........as always.

I've had the experience of being appreciated by a 'new edge' that I sneaked up on and who chased me down just to give me a wave. I've raced a late 80's 5.0 @ over 100 m.p.h. that could have only split his gaskets even further just to slide ahead.

In the realm of competition, nobody is a friend. However, the streets of our towns, and surrounding areas are not race tracks (i'll hopefully keep that in mind). But, it's a tricky line. I slight B.M.W. because their vehicles, in my opinion, have absolutely zero character. I appreciate Mustangs because all the body styles are unique but I would be lying if I denied that one of the major reasons I bought a 2006 Mustang is because of the retro body styling.

So...........I guess I feel like there is sort of an us & them angle. But like I said, it's tricky......... I appreciate the "old" 'new edges' but evolution takes the best of what works, or worked, and moves forward with it, eventually. Sometimes it takes 35 million years, sometimes it takes 35 years.

Newbreedgt05 04-12-2006 11:45 PM

I notice that it's the previous mustang owners that seem to notice me the most. I usually just get stares from them as I drive past. I get a lot of thumbs up from kids or guys that are driving a Ford pickup or other sports car.