Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight belt squeel on startup with GMS UDP's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Slight belt squeel on startup with GMS UDP's

It's not something rubbing, off, or anything major or you would hear it everytime not just when it's been sitting and cold. I wouldn't worry about it. If it makes you feel any better, next time it's been sitting overnight, pop the hood and run your fingers along the belt before you start it and I'll bet it's got moisture and it's slipping slightly while it's warming up and drying off.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lone_Star_Stang

It's a 2 pulley sytem. Not quite sure he would have removed the alternator pulley in the first place since it's crank pulley and waterpump unless I'm missing something?

The best is not fraying or glazed in any way.
He wouldn't need to replace the alternator pully, but the stock alternator bolt is long enough to be hitting your belt on your new waterpump pulley. Go have a look at your waterpump pulley, then look at the alternator bolts right above it, it could be rubbing.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:50 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

It's a 2 pulley sytem. Not quite sure he would have removed the alternator pulley in the first place since it's crank pulley and waterpump unless I'm missing something?

The best is not fraying or glazed in any way.
He wouldn't need to replace the alternator pully, but the stock alternator bolt is long enough to be hitting your belt on your new waterpump pulley. Go have a look at your waterpump pulley, then look at the alternator bolts right above it, it could be rubbing.
Good advice, but why would it only rub when it was dead cold and not all the time?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Good advice, but why would it only rub when it was dead cold and not all the time?
It could only be slightly hitting, and when it warms up it moves away? I dunno, it'd be the first thing I'd check anyways, it's pretty easy to look.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

Just went out and checked. No hitting. Bolt has plenty of clearance, I'm looking at the one ( facing the engine ) on the top right of the water pump pulley. Checked all the contact points for the belt to pulleys, and it didn't seem like it was rubbing against anything -- plenty of clearance. I used some belt dressing, earlier today, so hopefully that fixed it.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:05 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

It could only be slightly hitting, and when it warms up it moves away? I dunno, it'd be the first thing I'd check anyways, it's pretty easy to look.
I wasn't being sarcastic Tik, I was just curious and thought there might be a specific reason why it would only be on a cold startup.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

Did some belt dressing, rechecked all clearences, checked for belt glazing, cracking or fraying. Nothing. Still get a squeel in the mornings.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

Did some belt dressing, rechecked all clearences, checked for belt glazing, cracking or fraying. Nothing. Still get a squeel in the mornings.
Maybe its a bearing on one of the pulleys? Take a stethoscope and listen around every morning when it squeels.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

Only does it for about 3 seconds..but I can try.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:01 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

You should never need any type of belt dressing on serpentine belts. Ide be willing to bet you need a shorter belt. The tensioner is barely able to put enough tension on it to make it work. I had the same problem with my Chevy truck when I went to UDs on it. The belt was fine for a few thousand miles and then would squeal like hell. I put a shorter one on, and Ive got over 40,000 miles on it now and not a sound out of it. Napa is a good place to get a bit shorter ones. Just dont go too short or it can cause other problems with tensioner and water pump or alternator bearings.

Quick Reply: Slight belt squeel on startup with GMS UDP's