Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust Mac or Borla 06 Gt

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 01:10 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Best Exhaust Mac or Borla 06 Gt

ORIGINAL: k9eros

I've asked this question also, and gotten lots of different answers.

I'm an older guy, I like an aggressive exhaust note but not overpoweringly loud. I had a set of B&B Bullets on my Z06, they lasted two days before they were removed and replaced with something a lot less obnoxious. On this Mustang I didn't want drone and wanted good sound without being stupid.
I finally decided to go with the FRPP Borla Stinger system. I was afraid it would be too loud looking at the size of the mufflers, but it actually sounds very good. I haven't heard it from the outside yet, but inside it sounds great; much deeper than most other systems, a bit of drone at certain RPM's when accelerating, but no drone and quiet inside when on the highway. Overall a great system. Also, working alone with nothing but a set of ramps, a few sockets, an air ratchet and impact wrench it took me less than 40 minutes to R&R the mufflers. Because of the size of the Borla mufflers they are easier to install than the larger ones.
Tonight at a store, a guy asked me if I had driven past there a few minutes before. I said yes I had, his only comment was that the exhaust sounded awesome.
Do you have the axle-back or the cat back?
Old 04-15-2006, 02:02 PM
EJD05GT
2nd Gear Member

2006MustangGTNYC,
They sound mean as hell. Can I ask how much you payed? Borla has the catback listed at 800.00.
-E

ORIGINAL: 2006MustangGTNYC

ORIGINAL: Redfire

Ok, already. I get the hint. So wheres the cheapest place to buy these Borla catbacks? And a part number would be nice. And would a sound clip be askin' too much?

here are clips from my car.

http://media.putfile.com/BORLA-CATBACKS
http://media.putfile.com/Borla-catback--vs--axle-back (axle back first, then catback, then both)
http://media.putfile.com/Driveby-wborla-catbacks

Part # 140135

Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2006, 02:39 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I thought that way about my wife as well, but when I fired mine up the first time with the MAC's she opened the front door like WTF? She could definately tell the difference...
Old 04-15-2006, 03:21 PM
5StangsandCounting
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the great info! I'm thinking Borla is the way to go... I can't stand drone...
What performance differences were noticed from doing the mufflers only, vs the cat-back?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:12 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EJD05GT

2006MustangGTNYC,
They sound mean as hell. Can I ask how much you payed? Borla has the catback listed at 800.00.
-E
I payed 700 + installation. I got it from a local dealer here who ordered it for me. I would strongly suggest cat backs and yes, they sound mean and there is drone between 2-3K RPM. You don't want drone? don't get borlas... you don't want your car to sound authentic muscle car? don't get borlas... my 0.2 cents.

Borlas or nuttin for me.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:13 PM
2006MustangGTNYC
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5StangsandCounting

Thanks for all the great info! I'm thinking Borla is the way to go... I can't stand drone...
What performance differences were noticed from doing the mufflers only, vs the cat-back?

Drone happens between 2-3K rpm. Not sure what the performance diff are. They are better with the catback system albeit... havnt dyno'd but soon will.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:11 PM
miltoneagle
1st Gear Member

Im gonna go with the Borla Stingers too; who has a web site? I have a07 Gt and I cant seem to find the mufflers or the catbacks....any help would be awesome.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Jed

I went withBorla catback It sounds Bad a$#. I got it of ebay For $693.07 with Free Shipping
Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Get some resonators for your MACs and the drone will be severely reduced without compromising sound... I had one installed fro my single and it did the trick.. $60 and it's perfect.

Sound clips in my sig.

ORIGINAL: viking396

This is one I've given a lot of thought, I have the MAC's and love the sound on the outside but the drone on the inside is unbearable at times. The Borla's I'm told aren't as harsh inside the car and sound as good as the MAC's outside. If I were to do it over I'd opt for the Borla's.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2007, 08:45 PM
06blkgtgirl
1st Gear Member

I have Macs, they are loud and maybe too loud (drone and vibration). But this past Monday my husband and I took it our local muffler shop and had a set of resonators put on. Now not only do they still have the agressive throaty sound (not as loud as before) but my car drives smoother. I paid 120.00 for both resonators installed The muffler guy said he had never seen Macs before and that he liked them alot, they look nice, especially if you have them installed by a professional and they hang just low enough to get a glimpse. Plus I like the 4" slanted pipe. If you with Macs be prepared to install resonators unless you use the catback system.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust Mac or Borla 06 Gt