Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad news, got hailed on!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Bad news, got hailed on!

Hi guys,

I have had my car for less than 2 weeks, and I watched from my apartment window as 25 min of ping pong sized hail rained down on my defenseless car. Then it rained sideways for another 25 min. WTF??? Walked through the parking lot and saw a few cars with nice sized dings on the trunk and hood. Went to my car and I couldn't find a ding, but its dark out and the car has the rain water beaded up and my flashlight isn't that great.

I'm not out of the woods yet - tomorrow when its dry and sunny will be the litmus test.

My questions to you guys is:

Have you had to repair/repaint your car and is the repaint as good as the factory finish?

Can I demand that the damaged body panels be replaced and repainted instead of filled and repainted?

My old audi got hailed on ($3,500) and the repaint sucked! The paint on the plastic pieces chipped quickly and the paint was only 1-2 coats instead of the factory 3-4 with 3 coats of clear. I don't want my new baby to have paint problems within a year due to a crappy repaint.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bad news, got hailed on!

Yep, I got hailed on too. Luckily I had a car cover. By the time the storm reached Mundelein it was marble sized hail. If it was any larger I probably would have had damage. My boyfriend has a black GT and no car cover. We were outside it the worst of it holding blankets on his car. I think he only ended up with 2 small dents on the hood and one on the roof. I guess we lucked out, it could have been alot worse. My boyfriend's friend is also an expert dent picker. They call him "the dentist". I guess he will be very busy in the next month.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 PM
LEJAY
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Bad news, got hailed on!

Dent removal has become "state of the art", it's amazing what can be done.

As far as painting goes, few, if any dealerships can do the job as well as a local independent shop. These guys take pride in their work, and don't have that "get'em in - move'm out" mindset. I believe their work exceeds factory quality.

Sure they cost more, but take the insurance check, and add some extra $ to it, and be satisfied with the end result.

These guys do usually do custom work, and appreciate the fact that you chose them to work on your "baby". Look around, ask questions, get recommendations and references, then choose what you feel is best for you.

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!