Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tires for street..?? street slicks..??? 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 03:49 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Default Best tires for street..?? street slicks..??? 06 GT

What are the best tires when adding a 4.10 gear .???. I don't want to just sit and spin .. yes I know I have a traction control system on my car..

but sometimes it is nice to turn it off and let some smoke roll... lol..

anybody have any "street slicks" ..???

I am also doing some other basic mods for the time being.. C&L cai..underdrive.. a tune.. etc. bolt on stuff.... but my plan is for a 12.5 1/4 mile car.. (will post later what I need to get that out of her ) lol

I have seen somebody that has something at the bottom that says "snow tires" ..?? sorry forgot your name..

thanks again in advance.. before you know it .. I will be wanting 500HP at the wheels ..lol

Rex
Old 04-15-2006, 03:50 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best tires for street..?? street slicks..??? 06 GT

Nittos for a daily driver, MT's for a "race/fun" car
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 93BlackNotch

Nittos for a daily driver, MT's for a "race/fun" car

Ahh.. that was my point.. I want a race/fun car.. so I guess you are saying MT's..???

thanks for the info..

Rex
Old 04-15-2006, 11:12 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: rex7010

What are the best tires when adding a 4.10 gear .???. I don't want to just sit and spin .. yes I know I have a traction control system on my car..

I am also doing some other basic mods for the time being.. C&L cai..underdrive.. a tune.. etc. bolt on stuff.... but my plan is for a 12.5 1/4 mile car.. (will post later what I need to get that out of her ) lol

I have seen somebody that has something at the bottom that says "snow tires" ..?? sorry forgot your name..

thanks again in advance.. before you know it .. I will be wanting 500HP at the wheels ..lol

Rex
Never race with the TC on, you will be a lot slower. M/T ET Street Radials are the best drag radials, but they do wear pretty fast, You should get at least a summer of racing/cruising out of them, but daily driving them will kill them fast.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

If you go to Tire Rack, you can look up all their "Competition DOT" tires. These are all technically legal for street use (thus, the DOT rating), but some of them are really far stretches. Here's a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...lay.jsp?type=C

Like JD1969 said, you'll get one summer out of some of these with moderate driving. Some of these are really just comp tires, they'll last you a weekend or two of hard track use (cf. Kumho ECSTA V710), and then their performance suffers.

Also, you might want to consider Nitto 555R, the 555RII, or their NT D1. The 555R looks like a great balance of serious performance and moderate longevity (read: maybe 2 summers of everyday driving).

Best,
-j
Old 04-15-2006, 02:17 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Be aware that the 555RIIs will give you a pretty rough ride. Troden had them on his car and commented about it. Nitto also makes reference to it on their web site.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:45 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: rex7010

Rex
Never race with the TC on, you will be a lot slower. M/T ET Street Radials are the best drag radials, but they do wear pretty fast, You should get at least a summer of racing/cruising out of them, but daily driving them will kill them fast.
+1 - the MT ET Steets are the best as they use the same compound as slicks but they will not last long on the street. I don't even drive them to the track. I put them on at the track - even the track that's only 5 miles from my house. On the street, you'll blow your $300 in less than a month...

If you're looking for fun 'smoking the tires' then I wouldn't go with DR's at all and stick to cheap street tires IMO...

I think JD is talking about he MT ET Drag Radials - not the ET Streets. The ET Drag Radials are the same compound as radials (like all the other DR's out there) and would last you 3-6 months on the street.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:53 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

i have the bias ply e.t. streets and the compound is a little harder than the e.t. drag slick. if you guys want to chance driving them on the street you have bigger ***** than me. all it takes is just a very light drizzle to ruin $30k worth of mustang. they(m/t's) all are basically slicks with a few grooves. doug at bama chips just crashed his car due to running d/radials on the street. i think he said he was only a couple miles from home also. for a real street strip tire i would have to suggest the BFG d/radials. i've heard they aren't too scary in the rain and the NMRA guys are flying with them so they must not be too bad traction wise. i'm a freak about weight especially rotating weight so i chose the bias m/t's and don't run tubes. it saved me almost 18lbs. per tire vs. BFG and almost as much against the m/t drag radial. they handle like a slick on the street...wobbley and loose feeling but hook great at the track!
Old 04-16-2006, 12:00 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I have cut a 1.54 60 foot on a 17 inch BFG drag radial. I have run the bias ply ET Streets as well and found them to be quite good wear wise, I got two summers of occasional cruising and about ten track days, same with the Hoosier QTP's I had on another car.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:09 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

I got the ET Streets for the track and BFGoodrich KDW's for around town. I am really happy with the ride and traction that the KDW's give you. The biggest thing is is getting them wide enough so that you get the best traction. I figure that 275 and wider should give you the traction that you need.