Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good spark plugs..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:00 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default Good spark plugs..?

well... i just got a phone call from a friend saying that the problem from his mustang GT https://mustangforums.com/m_1255217/tm.htm Was because of there was some water on the engine he took his GT to the car wash and those SOBS sprayed water on the engine which caused some problems in few connections and the spark plugs .... so he called the dealer asking them about the price of plugs and they said 13.5 $ for each plug now thats too much right ?

so i told my friends to go get some better racing plugs ... but i wanted to make sure first are the racing plugs safe without a tunner? will there problems occur later on with them ( racing plugs being there ) ?
Old 04-15-2006, 05:08 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Good spark plugs..?

NGK's... You can run them on a stock motor... You dont need a tune for plugs...lol
Old 04-15-2006, 05:18 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I think Ive read that our plugs don't even have electrodes, that they are flat, anyway different from the plugs I've ever seen. Could be expensive. But I've had a dealer tell me their platinum plugs for my '89 GMC were something like $9 when I got them at an autoparts store for about $2

I've been washing down my engines for MANY years, I use a degreaser found in automotive stores and a water hose, not HIGH PRESSURE bu a strong stream, never had any problems to speak of, except the need to blow (puff, puff) moisture out of a place or two, learned with experiecne to a particular car, then I would drive it long enough to get the engine hot to "cook" off the water. Motorcycles also.

I'm thinking also that if you drive your car in a nice rainstorm does your engine stay dry under the hood?

Did he really have problems? Or was he fed some manure?

Old 04-15-2006, 05:25 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

well.... im not really sure but when took it to check the car at a random shop that guy opened 1 spark plug and said that there is water in there ... im not sure how, But my friend told me he told the car wash to clean the engine but they sprayed water on it .... and also the filter ..

93BlackNotch whats the code of a good NGK spark pplug ? because not all of them are the same...
Old 04-15-2006, 05:30 AM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

A parts store can cross reference a stock plug to an NGK plug... I don't know the numbers off hand for spark plugs... I had my car detailed and it ran like S**t for 3 days and then everything finally dried out, I would try to drive it around for a few days, it should clear up... Coil packs are sensitive...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:20 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Unless NGK just started putting out plugs (within the last 3 weeks) they don't have any. Autolite makes the stock plug (part # HT1) they also make a plug that is one range cooler for supercharged and NOS equiped cars (part# HT0). I am running the HT0's and I got them from Evolution Performance at www.evoperform.com. Stay away from platinum plugs, iridium has better heat transfer and a lesser chance of detonation.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:21 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sidmanic

Unless NGK just started putting out plugs (within the last 3 weeks) they don't have any. Autolite makes the stock plug (part # HT1) they also make a plug that is one range cooler for supercharged and NOS equiped cars (part# HT0). I am running the HT0's and I got them from Evolution Performance at www.evoperform.com. Stay away from platinum plugs, iridium has better heat transfer and a lesser chance of detonation.
+1 Ford owns the patent on the High Thread plug and Autolite is the only one making them. These aren't regular plugs but the do have an electrode, they have to otherwise the plug wouldn't fire.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sidmanic

+1 - Better to say, "I don't know" than to give advice that will have someone wasting good money for nothing. The new stangs are a completely different plug than standard and other than from ford or the autolites, there is NOTHING else you can use. They will be between 11-14 dollars - that's just the way it is.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:57 PM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Autozone sells the HT1's for $11.99 a piece. The guy at evolution performance sold me a set of 8 HT0's for $80.00. I bought an extra set as a backup. The plug gapper is another issue. You can probably rig something up but I always want this kind thing done right. I dropped the $40 for the gapper that you can get from Vortech. One thing always leads to another.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:44 PM
praztek
3rd Gear Member

Has anyone actually verified the hp gain, from changing spark plugs, and power cables? And if so, what brand did you go with?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Good spark plugs..?