Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:52 PM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

Default Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????

When? Last weekend

Where? friends house

Why? His brothers b-day party

What? Glad you asked: We took his 1 week old 2006 BMW 535 out for a "little spin"...he kept raving about how good it handled but HOLY friggin' crap I had no idea! I drove it to a new subdivision (no finished houses but the streets were done, of course not another person/car within a couple of miles) and spanked it like a wet monkey! Took 90 degree turns at 40 mph without taking my foot off the accelerator and without even squeeling the tires!

Now he had told me about being able to do that (that's how the salesman sold him the car) but it didn't register how scary that is until I did it myself...I know there's other cars out there that do that but IS THERE ANY HOPE for my Stang to even get close to that kindof handling?

Talk to me people!!!! I love my Stang (and so does my beemer owning friend), love the V8 and everything about it...but I also loved that sick "motion sickness" feeling I had after taking several 90 degree turns in a row at 40 mph! How close can I get my Sonic and what's the bottom $ figure?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:08 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????

All I can say is that BMW isn't going to last too long, you can look at that two different ways.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I own the the same car and it is my daily driver - it has never impressed me handling, power or any other wise...

EDIT - and mine's actually a 540
Old 04-17-2006, 12:51 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I was in the BMW family for many years.

They do work good, but, they don't build them like they used to, and keeping them going takes some significant LONG GREEN!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

Now don't get me wrong...if I had wanted a BMW, I would've bought one instead of the Stang...didn't for several reasons, one being that it's rated as one of the MOST expensive cars to own (hear you loud and clear algregory) and it just doesn't impress me in the torque or power catagory (chevykiller)....plus I love the Mustang. I'm not trying to compare the cars as a whole, just wondering if/how I can get my handling to even slightly resemble what the 535 had.

But...question for you chevykiller...if the 540 has failed to impress you in the HANDLING territory, am I missing something here? It might be 'cuz I'm not brave (stupid) enough to even try a 40 mph 90 degree turn in my Stang, but I would imagine our cars stock suspension couldn't even come close. How can the b'mer handling not impress you? Looking for some serious enlightenment here...not being an @ss or trying to "defend" the b'mer.

Remember, my question is "can I get my Stang to even come close to the handling I experienced with the b'mer, and if so...what's an idea of the final figure?" $1000, $2000, etc...? Just need to know if it's even worth the dough or if I should just be happy with the straight line performance.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

double post
Old 04-17-2006, 01:21 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

There were write-ups on the GT in late '04 when I decided to order mine....

I'm thinking one said handles as well as, or better than, the BMW 330i, another said handled better than the 350Z on the skid pad.

Anyone recall those write-ups?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:29 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Rezalien

Now don't get me wrong...if I had wanted a BMW, I would've bought one instead of the Stang...didn't for several reasons, one being that it's rated as one of the MOST expensive cars to own (hear you loud and clear algregory) and it just doesn't impress me in the torque or power catagory (chevykiller)....plus I love the Mustang. I'm not trying to compare the cars as a whole, just wondering if/how I can get my handling to even slightly resemble what the 535 had.

But...question for you chevykiller...if the 540 has failed to impress you in the HANDLING territory, am I missing something here? It might be 'cuz I'm not brave (stupid) enough to even try a 40 mph 90 degree turn in my Stang, but I would imagine our cars stock suspension couldn't even come close. How can the b'mer handling not impress you? Looking for some serious enlightenment here...not being an @ss or trying to "defend" the b'mer.

Remember, my question is "can I get my Stang to even come close to the handling I experienced with the b'mer, and if so...what's an idea of the final figure?" $1000, $2000, etc...? Just need to know if it's even worth the dough or if I should just be happy with the straight line performance.

Don't take it the wrong way - I wasn't being a jerk. It's just my opinion. If I didn't like the car, I wouldn't own it. It just doesn't IMPRESS me - that's all. Bear in mind too, that I sold an 02 carrera cabrio for my stang so I'm used to handling that makes the BMW fall short, ya know? I still have never owned or even driven a car that handles better than the porsche. And I love our stangs, obviously, but I don't see the point in trying to make them great handling road cars IMO. I love them for what they are and sure you can upgrade your suspension and make your handling better - but they are always going to fall short if you compare them to cars engineered for handling (like the BMW for one) ya know? So specifically, NO - you can't get your stang to match the handling of the BMW IMO.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:52 AM
Rezalien
2nd Gear Member

02 Carrera?! Now that explains a bit...lol, I could see how the b'mer falls a little short of that. All in all, as good as I felt like it performed, it was definitely a little "numb" like I wasn't really driving the car...it was driving me, if that makes any sense.

points taken CK, (thanks for the "final answer"...that's what I thought) I can definitely love my Stang for what it is, WHILE I'm upgrading the suspension a bit...LOL

I'm someone who's NEVER considered messing with suspension/handling in my Stang, I guess this has made me want to improve it as much as possible...I'll be searching this forum for posts on suspension upgrades...something I usually skipped over until last weekend.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:57 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Rezalien

02 Carrera?! Now that explains a bit...lol, I could see how the b'mer falls a little short of that. All in all, as good as I felt like it performed, it was definitely a little "numb" like I wasn't really driving the car...it was driving me, if that makes any sense.

points taken CK, (thanks for the "final answer"...that's what I thought) I can definitely love my Stang for what it is, WHILE I'm upgrading the suspension a bit...LOL

I'm someone who's NEVER considered messing with suspension/handling in my Stang, I guess this has made me want to improve it as much as possible...I'll be searching this forum for posts on suspension upgrades...something I usually skipped over until last weekend.
I have always focused on drag racing with regards to suspension so I'm the first to say I'm not much help. But I know of a few guys (help me out here guys) on these boards who have gone the suspension for ride route and have had some pretty good results. I know the Tokico's seem to be a 'must have' mod for ride improvement along with better stuts and springs from what I've seen.

Quick Reply: Is There ANY Hope!!!!!????