Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-spd Gearing Mach1 and '05/'06 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:57 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default 5-spd Gearing Mach1 and '05/'06 Mustang GT

Ok, got into a discussion this past weekend with a Mach1 owner at the local hang out who first tells me he'll easily beat my '06 then comes up with excuses on why he would lose if he did race me and actually lose. I told him meet me at the track and we can race since he wanted to race in the bowels of South Elgin, I didn't feel good about it.

I prefer locations where there is no traffic and even less chance at getting caught. He's an ex-cop so if we get busted he gets a pass and my car gets impounded... anyway I digress he feels if he does lose it's because and I quote "The new Mustang's are geared better for 0-60, but the CAI's aren't worth more than a few HP, they are MUCH heavier than the Mach1 and my Mach1 bone stock with an automatic ran 13.38@103" blah blah blah the Mach1 is all powerful bow to the invincible Mach1 how dare I think I could hang or shudder to think I might actually beat a bone stock one that happens to have the worst racing transmission in stock form you could stuff into a Mustang? I refuse to believe that the previous generation AOD could be a dead even race with a 5spd Mach1, haven't seen one yet that was unless the guy driving stick was inept at it. IF the AOD was a match then the '99 to '04 Mustang GT auto's would run with the 5speeds and that just doesn't happen stock for stock again unless there is an inept driver at the wheel of the stick.

Now I'm a huge Mach1 fan, I love them (I almost bought one!) and I explained I've taken down one Mach1 already so I know my car isn't slow. His response, he couldn't have been trying, next time race him from a "dig"... A loss is a loss, why does there always have to be an excuse? Since I didn't get to pick how we started I couldn't race from a "dig" so raced him from 1st and 2nd gear rolls. So, per this guy I had no chance in hell because my car weighs almost 4,000lbs and has much less horsepower so the other guy who I heard power shifting couldn't have been trying, alrighty then.

He told me to go to the registry and say I beat a Mach1 there, as if what happened is so impossible they'll have me for dinner.... sheeeesh are Mach1 guys so into their car that they couldn't believe one of their own lost? I did tell this guy had I not had the CAI installed with a 93 tune I know I wouldn't have won, heck with a better driver behind the wheel I might have lost to it as well, but it's a run what ya brung world, such is life.

Anyway he obviously has little to no respect for anything with less than 4 valves under the hood so I really would like a chance at him, now this isn't a typical can I beat him thread. I could give a good crap about that, I'll find that out when we go at it and if I win he, better not be filled with excuses. If I lose it won't be by the car lengths this guy thinks it will be an if it is by car lentghs he isn't stock and is a bold faced liar and it would explain why he never opens his hood. I won't make excuses however, if I lose, I lose. Time to mod it more.

I need to verify what the gearing is in the 5spd for the Mach1 and the 5 spd in our cars, what do the Mach1's weigh, I found the following on the Mach1 Registry:

Mach1 Horsepower = 305 per the registry and torque = 320
GT Horsepower = 300 and torque = either 315 or 320 depending on what web site you go too, seems we aren't as far apart as this guy thinks (yes, I knew this, but I plan on printing this for him)...

Mach1 5 Speed (since this guy was bragging how ours were geared for 0-60 I only quote the 5spd since I can't find specs on the auto)
1st - 3.38; 2nd - 2.00; 3rd - 1.32; 4th - 1.00; 5th - 0.62; Rev. - 3.38

Our '05/'06 5 Speed

1st - 3.38; 2nd - 2.00; 3rd - 1.32; 4th - 1.00; 5th - 0.68; Rev. - 3.38

Seems to me our cars are geared exactly like the Mach1's, both in transmission and the rear (I'm not counting 5th here, just 1st through 4th).

Curb Weight

Mach1 5 speed = 3465 Auto = 3475 - per the registry

Our '05/'06 5 speed = 3450 Auto = 3500, (from Ford's brochure and about 5 web sites) for a car that weighs so damn much we seem to be right at or under the Mach1, funny how this works out! I'm sure many will argue the weight point but I'm more interested in hearing who actually weighed theirs.

I can't find an article on an automatic Mach1 so can't verify if this guy is smoking weed or not, but I'll post on the registry and find out I'm sure.
Now I'll put my flame suit on....
Old 04-17-2006, 06:00 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 5-spd Gearing Mach1 and '05/'06 Mustang GT

Quoted from Motor Trend "This Mach 1's acceleration off the line is tricky, but resulted in a big-block-humbling 13.88 at 101.91. We recently tested a Mach 1 five-speed and ran a 13.2 at 106.7. This automatic-equipped car showed a slight power dip just after the 2-3 shift, which felt like timing advance being dialed back or a transmission ratio choice just a little off. The Mach 1 will still rip 'em into second. Shifts are torquey-firm at part throttle, kicking in at full throttle with downshifts just a toe-squeeze away"

*Link to road test*

Sounds about right for the difference between the 5 speed and automatic... this should be fun.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

65 Views and no comment... wow...
Old 04-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Viking396, from a fellow Viking, just go out and do battle. Our ancestors the great vikings of the 9th-13th centuries did not sit around and talk about how many warriors the Normans had or how long their swords were or what about getting charged by a Slavic calvary or maybe about the damn pesky Brits and their bow and arrows. They just went out and BURNED RAPED AND PILLAGED.

take this fool to Task. Get into your battle axe, sing a hymn to Odin, Show some nordic pride and Burn Rape and pillage him all the way back to Vallhalla.

Be a Viking.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

Just beat him and get it over with. Heck, put some 4.10's on and embarass him.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:44 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Nice post! Time to "Go A Viking!"

Don't worry about Nordic Pride, I have plenty, which has nothing to do with how I handle smack talking Mach1 owners I doubt he will be welcome in Valhalla....
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I have a feeling my posts intention is being missed.

I'm asking for stats on the '03-'04 Automatic Mach 1, this way when I do hand him his rear I can quote some stats to shut his gaping pie hole... I have no question about if I can beat him or not, as stated in my post.

Hmmmm me thinks I could have just said this initially and saved some time, oh well.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scaught
Get into your battle axe, sing a hymn to Odin, Show some nordic pride and Burn Rape and pillage him all the way back to Vallhalla.

Be a Viking.
dont you think that this is just a bit extreme?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:49 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

Get into your battle axe, sing a hymn to Odin, Show some nordic pride and Burn Rape and pillage him all the way back to Vallhalla.

Be a Viking.
He's not serious just quoting some old Viking lore... I guess you have to be Scandahoovian to get what he's saying... don't take it the wrong way.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:11 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

quote:

ORIGINAL: chrisc

quote:

Be a Viking.

He's not serious just quoting some old Viking lore... I guess you have to be Scandahoovian to get what he's saying... don't take it the wrong way.
spoken like a true Scandahoovian. This is the first Mustang I have owned so I can't help you with the rest. i was just trying to say that it is not how many horses but how well you ride them.

Quick Reply: 5-spd Gearing Mach1 and '05/'06 Mustang GT