Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got throughly smoked today

Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Got throughly smoked today

ORIGINAL: 05ROUSHER

Fourth gear punch is fair, but third at 70 is a another world. Try 3rd at 70 and watch and feel the differance.
3rd gear punch at 70 is absolutely perfect for me
Old 04-20-2006, 06:07 AM
sidmanic
2nd Gear Member

Had a tuner trying to provoke me into racing while we were on the freeway. It was way to congested to mess around and as it turned out, while he was right beside me, he did a rapid lane change to go around the car in front of him and didn't notice the one he was rapidly changing into. The guy nearly clipped me as he was going sideways (this was at about 60 mph), the wifes screaming, I'm just hanging onto the wheel waiting for impact. After that, all I saw was what looked like a Nascar pileup in my rearview mirror. This happened last summer. You gotta watch out, some of these guys put a fart pipe on and drop them and think they got a high performance machine. Idiots....
Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 AM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sidmanic

Had a tuner trying to provoke me into racing while we were on the freeway. It was way to congested to mess around and as it turned out, while he was right beside me, he did a rapid lane change to go around the car in front of him and didn't notice the one he was rapidly changing into. The guy nearly clipped me as he was going sideways (this was at about 60 mph), the wifes screaming, I'm just hanging onto the wheel waiting for impact. After that, all I saw was what looked like a Nascar pileup in my rearview mirror. This happened last summer. You gotta watch out, some of these guys put a fart pipe on and drop them and think they got a high performance machine. Idiots....
I've noticed the same thing here. I was once on a parkway here in Long Island and saw this two "ricers" (their cars didn't look that good though), just two civic hatchbacks racing each other. I still cannot believe one of them was able to fit between two cars he was trying to pass. I was just waiting for the accident, good thing I was on the third lane and they were doing all their stupid sh&* on the second and first lanes. There was just too much traffic for them to be doing that s&*&!!!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:47 PM
withinavoid

I've got a manual GT as well and definitely the top end is lacking. I raced a GTO and blew him away from start by about 3 car lengths but as we got to 80mph he started catching me and ultimately passed me. Punching on the freeway, from 70mph, even with a downshift to 3rd is not too impressive.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:48 PM
MJDGator

Imports are no joke. I doubt any TL would hang with a Mustang GT even the Type S. My father-in-law's TL Type S slowly walked my WRX from a roll (30mph-70mph). From a stop I can leave him in the dust. WRX's are pretty weak from a roll unless you upgrade the turbo. The AWD system really eats away the HP more so than a 2WD car. Stock WRX's put out about 170hp to the wheels (rated 227 hp at the crank) and his TL Type S was only able to walk on me. They do have superchargers for those TL's though that are good for about another 50hp to the wheels. Nice cars inside but man they have had major transmission problems. I think my in-laws have had theirs in like 3 times for tranny work and its not like they beat on it. I think the only time he raced it was against me that one time. Their is older though like a 2001.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Slink
1st Gear Member

I agree, imports are no joke. My son has a 1992 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo and All Wheel Drive (this is Mitsubishi w/ a Dodge name on it). His car will leave me from a dead stop easliy ( zero wheel spin for him ). He can also easily leave me from a roll. Don't assume that because its rice, you can beat it.