Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 01:34 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!

ORIGINAL: Fatblazer

SonicStanGirl.....Sure looks like a great place. I was out there couple days ago. I am looking around for apartments. Seems like cost of living is very high out in OC. I average it about 40% more than Sarasota Florida where I currently live.

Boy do I WISH I could drop my rent by 40%! Sheesh! Luckily my salary goes with the cost of living around here.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:17 PM
SunbearGT

California law is different than the rest....
1) California Vehicle Code Section 27151 states that it is illegal to modify your exhaust to increase or amplify noise.
California Vehicle Code Section 21751(a) states that the excessive or amplified noise is based on the officer's judegement.
If cited for these sections, you may have to take your vehicle to court for a decibal reading, (no max db reading listed) and a fine will be imposed if found guilty.
2) California law also says that you need a front and rear plate. The front plate must be displayed i think no higher than 30" from the ground. (No windshield display)
3) No tinting on windshield or front side windows (Don't have the following sections handy, but can get them if you want)
4) No headlight covers or black lenses
5) No clear tail light lenses, even with red bulbs.
6) Tires can't stick out past the fenders.
7) No running lights
I could go on and on......

If a violation of "safety equipment" is found, an officer can do a "safety inspection" of your vehicle, meaning your horn, windshield wipers, brake light, license plate light, tail light, head lights, tire tread, etc....

P.S. The California Highway Patrol is squared away with this stuff.

The box that your exhaust came in may say "50 state legal", but that is not true.....Obviously it is a violation of 21751 CVC.

I have a 06 GT and will be putting a cat back Borla system on mine, in addition to no front plate and I am sure I will be stopped too! But, I want my car to be the way I want it and I will not be looking for trouble, but we must also understand that it is in violation. Life in Cali is not what it used to be, unfortunately.
Best Wishes to all!
Old 04-20-2006, 08:49 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

It's pretty good down here, most jobs do not pay well however. My salary will increase enough to cover the cost of living in Cali. I'd like to live on the beach but I am having a hard time locating apartments that are available. If the move does happen I'll be out there in few months. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:50 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

California Modification laws? #1 is: You must modify your wallet to live here! [sm=yeahsmile.gif]
Old 04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

California Modification laws? #1 is: You must modify your wallet to live here!
LOL!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Bretstang06
1st Gear Member

Fatblazer welcome to California. As stated by others just make sure your mods have the CARB# on them and you will be ok, you may have to go to a second smog shop if they don't understand the CARB# issue. I used to have an '87 GT that I had modified with equal length shorty headers with the CARB# plate attached to one of the header tubes and also other mods on the car. When I took it for the smog inspection/test the guy took one look at the headers and told me "those are illegal and I will lose my smog license if I certify your car". I tried explaining the reasoning behind the CARB# but it fell on deaf ears. Needless to say I went to the next smog shop in town and the tech laughed at the previous guys explanation and said "well he'll just end up losing business, your car passed with flying colors".

As for the police as long as you don't give them an obvious reason to pull you over, exhaust and tint are mostly fine. I know some officers and the only thing about tint they will pull you over for is if you get the dark limo type tint and they can't even see inside your car when you drive by. I can't blame them for that as I would be a little nervous pulling a car over and not being able to see inside at all.

I have MAC exhaust and JLT CAI with the Brenspeed tune, sounds great, no front plate, and have had a bunch of officers see and hear the car and so far a-ok (hope I just didn't put the whammy on my car). Had two officers the other night right next to me with their windows down. You can't help but hear the exhaust rumble and when we pulled out they looked over some more and the officer in the passenger seat just smiled and nodded. Now if I had done a hard acceleration through the gears and made a lot of noise I'd imagine it would be a different story. Also as some others have stated there is a big crackdown on illegal street racing. I know in the San Diego area many of the cities in San Diego county have made changes in the laws to be able to impound your vehicle if you are caught street racing and you could lose it. So be safe and sane on that issue.

Enjoy sunny So. Cal. and of course the country's highest gas prices.

p.s let me know if there are going to be any So. Cal meets I'd be interested in checking out the other 'stangs.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Fatblazer
1st Gear Member

Thanks! I am glad I posted this thread. I was getting a little nervous on the whole Idea of not being able to mod my car. I've been looking forward to supercharging it for a while. Thanks again for all your comments. If It all works out and I move out to OC, don't do a meet until I get up there!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:55 AM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

It's pretty good down here, most jobs do not pay well however. My salary will increase enough to cover the cost of living in Cali. I'd like to live on the beach but I am having a hard time locating apartments that are available. If the move does happen I'll be out there in few months. I'll keep you guys posted and thanks for all the advice.

For future reference: You can live in places like Huntington Beach or Costa Mesa or even Fountain Valley for that matter, and find more affordable housing and STILL be within 20 minutes of the beach.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
Twister
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

For future reference: You can live in places like Huntington Beach or Costa Mesa or even Fountain Valley for that matter, and find more affordable housing and STILL be within 20 minutes of the beach.
define "affordable".....

here is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath house that is 1644 sq feet, it is listed at $525,000, and is locvated in Compton

[IMG]local://upfiles/28634/EAE5D21B2EDA4DDDA029C49B0443E77B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twister

ORIGINAL: SonicStanGirl

define "affordable".....

here is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath house that is 1644 sq feet, it is listed at $525,000, and is locvated in Compton

[IMG]local://upfiles/28634/EAE5D21B2EDA4DDDA029C49B0443E77B.jpg[/IMG]
Ha ha ha...we all know housing costs are HUGE down here in So. Cali....what I meant was more affordable RENT costs in those cities than in say Newport Beach or Laguna, etc.

Quick Reply: California Modification laws NEED HELP?!!!