Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ridiculous Quote from Body SHop

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Ridiculous Quote from Body SHop

ORIGINAL: POWERS

ORIGINAL: Derf00

there's more than just spraying paint on it. It has to be color blended (unless you want your car to have two shades of whatever color you have)

Have them break down the pricing for you on an itemized quote. Then go to two other shops to see what they say.
I didn't mean just paint as in they are just spraying paint on it. I meant it as in that it is such a small job. And color blending shouldn’t be an issue if they use the same color paint. It was a quote from the local ford dealer so they should have HP White on hand, right?. You can order the online pre-painted for around $150 for the painting. Of course the quality that comes out and how well it makes it through being shipped is another story. That’s why I chose to order and have it painted once it arrived.

I’m just looking for some guestimates as to what others have paid or think is a reasonable amount to expect to pay for such work. This is my first experience with having body parts painted.
If you want it to look perfect it will need to be blended. Even though it's the same color, paint never matches perfectly. Even day to day off the assembly line a white car might be a few shades off, due to weather factors and such. Not to mention the slight variances for when the batch of paint is mixed. Because paint is mixed according to a formula, a shop must mix a minimum amount, even thopugh they won't use it all they should not have to lose money on it. Yes the formula can be cut and a smaller amount mixed, but it seldom comes out as close as a full batch. Usually a pint is the minimum amount. If you want paint and body work done right, it's gong to cost you, plain and simple.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Great. I just put a 2" x 6" scratch on the lip of the rear valence being an idiot and backing up without looking behind me...
I bet I'll pay at least 200$ min.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
POWERS
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. This is my first time having something painted and just never realized how expensive it could be.