Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang GT Fuel Door

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default 2005 Mustang GT Fuel Door

After reading many posts concerning fuel doors, I purchased a locking brushed billet fuel door from Moss Moters, LTD part no. 055-953 costing $89 plus shipping. I was going to have the door painted the same color as the car.

Took the door out to the car and held it up next to the body of the GT and the first thing I noticed was that the fuel door was going to distroy the line of the car. Cant have that happening!

Needless to say the Moss fuel door went back into is shipping container.

Then remembering what another poster had suggested concerning prevention of someone dumping stuff in your gas tank was to purchase the Stant 10510 locking gas cap (rockauto.com), I think all together the cap cost me $12 to the house. This locking gas cap is great, an exact replacement for the stock cap except this gas cap is lockable and you can put the existing plastic keeper ring on it..... fits great.

So if your concerned about someone dumping something in your gas tank and you dont want to screw up the beautiful line of the Mustang..........get the cap.

Oh, by the way, many thanks to the individual that posted the Stant 10510 locking gas cap idea.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-20-2006, 10:08 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2005 Mustang GT Fuel Door

I just put in a similar one. It was too dark to get good pics, but I'm still undecided about how it looks. There's a part of me that really likes it, but it does kind of stand out on my extremely black GT.

It fits perfectly. I just can't tell if I like that bright aluminum patch or not. On one hand, it does give the car some texture. I figure I'll leave it on for a week or so and then see how I feel about it. If I still don't like it I might paint it black, or maybe just paint the door itself black and leave the aluminum ring around it.

I think it would be perfect on a white or silver car, probably look good on tungsten but that pure aluminum finish might be too sterile for the mineral grey.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I don't understand. What was it that destroyed the line of the car? Did it not fit? You said you wanted to paint it, which is what I'd like to have on mine. Was it not a perfect fit?
And would brushed billet be able to take paint and be smooth like the original painted door?
Old 04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
BeeStang
3rd Gear Member

I don't think any aftermarket fuel door looks good on the new stang, and yes it does ruin the lines of the car IMO. The idea was to mimic the old style gas cap back on the rear of the car and blend the gas cap door into the side of the car. I think most old Mustang owners would agree. The only exception would be if you removed the fake gas cap from the rear of the car, then it might make sense. Just my 2 cents worth. And yes, a locking cap is a good idea given the fact that most of us are pumping liquid gold into our tanks!! Damn oil companies... Boycott Exxon and all of the other major companies for one week and we can make a difference, pass it on.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:47 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Man, BeeStang

Somebody really screwed your street up with those black stipes. :-)

Anyway, along the side of the car, from front to back, that the stock fuel door is on there is a line. The sock fuel door has the line in it. Installing an after market fuel door without the line really upsets the natural flow of the cars design.

If someone would offer a fuel door that had the line in it, I would buy it.

I'll wait
Old 04-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

There are fuel doors with the line.

http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Stee...tang-m409.html

Old 04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Mine's got the line in it. I'l get a pic tomorrow and put it up. I've decided I like it. As far as the car's lines go, it's actually better in a way because it doesn't have the little wedge it it you use to open it.

Look here: http://www.mustangtuning.com/newproducts.html
Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

Is that one yours?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

I like your gas door Humboldt Stang.

It goes well with the black trim panel on the trunk. It would've looked kinda strange without the black trim piece. Gives the car a retro look IMO.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 04-21-2006, 11:14 PM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

I like your gas door Humboldt Stang.

It goes well with the black trim panel on the trunk. It would've looked kinda strange without the black trim piece. Gives the car a retro look IMO.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Would also look very nice on a Yellow Mustang...

Quick Reply: 2005 Mustang GT Fuel Door