Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sleeping in the Mustang - Don't do it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sleeping in the Mustang - Don't do it!

Where are the sensors located anyway? and how many are there? I remember I tried napping in the car and it went off a couple of times. Though I moved to the back seat as I couldn't get comfortable in the front seat... and just laid down the back seats/used the empty trunk for my legs... and I don't think it went off no matter how much I moved then.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Menace

Where are the sensors located anyway?
Right above the rear view mirror are two holes in the plastic at the corners. I'm pretty sure that's where the motion sensors are at.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:28 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

the motion sensors are in the same assembly as the interior lights. There are two. Maybe taping them with black electrical tape?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:19 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

There's a really simple solution, just nap with the top down! If the top is down the motion sensors in the car do not activate no matter how you lock the doors. Of course it may start raining while you're napping, and security would be lousy...
Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Gig4Fun
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ScottRNelson

On Friday my wife and I decided to take a spur of the moment road trip out to Death Valley, since she had never been to that National Park. If you measure the distance from my house to the park entrance on a map, it's only about 250 miles, but the tallest mountains in the lower 48 states are also in between and you have to go around them to get there. At least you do this time of year when all of the passes through the mountains are closed except I-80, Highway 50, and the roads at the southern end.

So we had a great time there on Saturday, but needed to get back by noon on Sunday. We figured that since we started from the north, we would come back from the south and could just stop in Bakersfield for a motel. Unfortunately, every single motel in Bakersfield was full as were the motels in the next three towns to the north. After we had reached 1:30 in the morning and had gone as far as Tulare on Highway 99, we decided the only choice was to get a little bit of sleep in the car and keep driving. Too late to get a hotel now with only a few hundred more miles to go.

I stopped in a parking lot and "rested" for about 20 minutes, but didn't really get any sleep. I decided I had reached my "second wind" and was able to drive a ways further. An hour and a half later when I was having a hard time focusing, I pulled off at an exit in a farm area to get a little sleep before continuing on.

Since the interior lights in my 2005 Mustang convertible with premium interior automatically go on when you turn the car off and I wanted to go to sleep right away, I was trying to figure out how to turn them off quickly. Oh, the door lock button on the remote turns them off, right?

So I clicked the door lock button, the lights went off, and I was able to fall asleep fairly quickly. About half an hour later, my wife decided to adjust her position and suddenly the car's going honk, honk, honk, honk. Arghh, the motion sensor for the interior! I figured it out fairly quickly for someone who was just awakened in such a rude manner, hit the unlock button, and the honking stopped. Then, since the light was now on, I hit the lock button and tried to go back to sleep. Thirty seconds later, honk, honk, honk, honk.

Oh well. I was now awake enough to drive the rest of the way home. The Mustang is apparently too smart for me.

So my question is: how can I quickly get the interior lights off without enabling the alarm and it's interior motion sensor?
I sleep in my car at lunch break everyday. I learned it right away that I needed to keep the key in the ignition on accessory ( I have the radio on at low volume. I have the factory active anti-theft system. I lock the doors before I nod off too. I have been "messed with" by co-corkers (why I lock the doors!). It will be fine if you do this.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:01 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

many a drunk night at a friends house, and to avoid getting pranked on while im sleeping.. ill hide my keys somewhere.. like on my rim behind the tire.. (because im drunk and if an officer see that i have my keys i can be charged for care and controll. and still lose my liscnece at least thats the law here in ontario..) so i hide my keys.. i drop the backseat.. and i crawl in the trunk with my feet out in teh passenger area

so yeah if a cop comes.. i dont know where my keys are and he can look as long as he wants.. unless he decides to cehck my rim lol which is doubtful

but hey i get a warning about the sleeping in your car drunk law and i get no ticket or suspension!
Old 04-24-2006, 09:36 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Same here, keys cant be within reach of the driver.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

the alarm on my 97 is being gay too. no one is around it at like 2 am and it goes off. piece of sh**
Old 05-22-2006, 12:22 PM
mhahnjr
1st Gear Member

I haven't tested it but I was under the impression that if you hit the button once on the remote the car locks but the alarm is not enabled. You have to hit it twice to engane the alarm. Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that is the way it works.

06 GT premium
Windveil Blue
Auto
Old 05-22-2006, 12:33 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mhahnjr

I haven't tested it but I was under the impression that if you hit the button once on the remote the car locks but the alarm is not enabled. You have to hit it twice to engane the alarm. Correct me if I am wrong but I am pretty sure that is the way it works.
It only takes once to set the alarm on my car.

Quick Reply: Sleeping in the Mustang - Don't do it!