Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Blackout Panel

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:55 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Rear Blackout Panel

Has anyone used the Xenon rear blackout panel?
http://store.cal-mustang.com/showdetl-7-9167-25-0.html

I have been looking at a blackout panel for some time. I like the honeycomb panel, with the exception of the protruding ring around the GT gas cap emblem. ( I do want to keep the emblem) Don't really want to paint the panel at this point. My concern is, this Xenon panel is quite inexpensive, comparitively speaking. I worry about the quality, as well as application.

If anyone has used the Xenon, please give me your impressions and photos if possible.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-25-2006, 03:15 AM
S.SubZero
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Blackout Panel

I'm looking for a panel that preserves the emblem as well but not glossy. I'm looking for a more dull black.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:17 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I have the matte black magnetic one off eBay. I think it's fabulous. It's somewhat tricky to mount, but you can reposition it all day, and remove it whenever you want. The cut is perfect, namely the cutout for the emblem. It is a tiny fraction smaller than the emblem itself so it nestles in underneath the emblem in the space made by the foam tape.

http://stores.ebay.com/Mustang-Magnets
Old 04-25-2006, 03:31 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

the the magnetic one off ebay a plastic piece with magnetic stips? or is it like a kitchen magnet...but big
Old 04-25-2006, 03:35 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

It's some sort of polyvinyls somthing or other. It's similar to the promo refrigerator magnets that insurance companies and dentists give out. They generally have a white coating that is silkscreened over, but this is basically the same material.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

I got the same magnetic one off of eBay that grasshopper talked about. I'm not as impressed with it. He's right on with the fit of the cut out section, but the fit at the edges left something to be desired--not terrible, but not as spot-on as the emblem cut out. Also, mine ripped after a couple of weeks when I was in a hurry to take it off one day. (You do have to--or should--take it off before or after a rain to let it dry and not hold in the moisture that gets trapped.) So be careful with it and go gentle.

Still, I was mainly interested in seeing what the blacked out rear would look like in person. So for this purpose, I loved it (inexpensive and you get the basic visuals). I didn't have to make a permanent modification and I'm still feeling my way through the look.

Best,
-j
Old 04-25-2006, 09:49 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I suppose my results are tainted by the fact my car is black so I can't see any void at the edges if there is any.

Did it rip from an abrasion or sun damage, do you know?
Old 04-25-2006, 11:35 AM
STL_Atty
1st Gear Member

I have it and think it looks great (I'll try to get a pic up later this week). But with the Xenon, you have to get the tail-light covers as well or you'll be left with a small line uncovered by the rear panel on each side. There are other manufacturers of the panels (3d Carbon comes to mind) that cover the entire panel. Also, the hole around the rear badge is slightly larger than the badge itself, so you have to put something else behind it. I think the Professor used electrical tape ... I used a black magnetic rear panel cover that someone on here was selling. With the Professor's or mine, you have to be about 3 inches from it to be able to tell.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:36 PM
pcdrj
2nd Gear Member

I also got the magnetic one off ebay. Cut was nice and fit just as described. I cleaned the car before installing it but still had tiny bumps after the install. It was on through the winter and when I removed it it had that chalky salt glaze behind it. If you go with it plan on removing it often to clean the car and the backside of the magnet.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:55 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Thanks Guys, and keep em coming. I guess one of the reasons I was looking at the Xenon is the high gloss finish, as opposed to the matte finish. I am surprised to hear that there is a gap on the Xenon if you don't use the tail light covers in tandem, as I do not intend to cover the tail lights. Great input STL_Atty about the Xenon, and if you can get some photos, I surely would appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Mike

Quick Reply: Rear Blackout Panel